How many of you out there are going to get a dirt bike in the near future?

sixstringsteve

And what can we do to motivate you to get a dirt bike sooner? :D

Quite a few of us have bikes now, and I have a few friends who are on the fence. I figured we needed a thread where we could talk you into it.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well you already know I am just waiting for the money and still have some convincing to do with the wife but I am sold on getting a dirt bike. I do want something that is either already dual sport or easy enough to convert.

sixstringsteve

sweet. First dirt bike? Do you have an idea of what you want? What size, 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I'm guessing 99% of new riders these days want a 4 stroke, and who could blame them.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I actually have no idea Steve. Two strokes are so simple to work on and I know I need a 200 or bigger. I know I can handle a slightly bigger bike but I have no desire to kill myself and like you I am not a speed demon so enough power to handle the single tracks around AF and I will be happy.

Oh and yes it would be my first dirt bike. I have the street bike but need to sell it first.

Chevycrew

Im in, most likely next spring for me. 4 stroke, something I can commute with too. (Its only 8 miles and I can avoid the freeway pretty easy)

sixstringsteve

I actually have no idea Steve. Two strokes are so simple to work on and I know I need a 200 or bigger. I know I can handle a slightly bigger bike but I have no desire to kill myself and like you I am not a speed demon so enough power to handle the single tracks around AF and I will be happy.

Oh and yes it would be my first dirt bike. I have the street bike but need to sell it first.

Cool. I'm no expert on dirt bikes, but if you do get a 2-stroke, I'd recommend one of the following:

Kawasaki KDX200
'92-97 Yamaha WR250 (2-stroke)
KTM EXC200 or EXC300 (or any of their other 2-strokes, they're great for trails)

The bummer about my KDX is that since it doesn't have a battery, I needed to add a little battery pack (the size of 4 AA batteries) and charge it at night. I don't have a big battery that charges itself like the those with an electric start. Just something to think about. Not a huge deal for me, plus I enjoy the weight savings, but it is something to consider. Same story for the WR250 2T.

193kyle

I just picked up an 02 DR-z400s, only had it on a couple trails so far, but I would love to go ride with some other guys on here. I still need to get some safety gear though, any suggestions on where to go for that stuff?

sixstringsteve

Congrats Kyle! Contact Caleb (username caleb). He owns Anarchy motorsports, and he can get just about anything that Rockymountainatvmc.com can get, only cheaper. He has some good recommendations too.

Aside from my helmet, my two favorite pieces of safety equipment are my boots and my shin/knee guards.

Corban_White

Looking at an XR250. I've been wanting a loaner bike (since I have some friends/family members that don't have bikes) for quite some time. I have been thinking XR400, DR350, or whatever I could get for cheap but then yesterday I rode my brother-in-laws 89 XR250 and I really liked it. I didn't get a chance to get off the road but it felt really good. I think it would be a great loaner bike that any inexperienced riders would do well on and it could do double duty for when I got the urge to ride with some of you gluttons for punishment on some technical singletrack. ;)

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I grew up on bikes, but took a decade long break from them until a couple of years ago, couple years ago bought a 04 KX 500, just recently bought a 2011 KX 450, I was a die hard 2 stroker, now Im a 4 stroke convert. riding dirtbikes offroad has to be the funnest way to get a ton of excersize. Ive been love'n it.

Attachments

• 100_1036.jpg
    100_1036.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1045.jpg
    100_1045.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_1032.jpg
    100_1032.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Yeah it is on ksl I had one guy offer $800 in guns then one person offer $1000 so it should work put. I am going for the cash.

Cascadia

Undecided
You know I'm looking around Steve. I'm mostly wanting to get a Honda crf450. I love Caleb's but I can't afford that price. So I'm looking and saving.

sixstringsteve

I think a CRF450/WR450F would be a great bike for ya Tyson. How soon are you going to be able to make it a reality? I've seen a few floating around $2k.