How much Bike?

Cascadia

Undecided
How much bike is too much bike? It will be my second and I still do not have a ton of riding time but I feel comfortable with the level I am at. I'm selling my KTM 250 EXC. Thinking about a Honda crf 250x, ktm 300 exc or a KTM 450 EXC. I will be riding mostly in AF Canyon, Moab, and a little in St. George. It will see very little time at the dunes. I am also wanting to make it street legal to get to and from a few trails. Do any of these bikes sound out of line for what I will use it for? Too powerful? Not powerful enough? Not the right model? I'm still new to bikes so I'll listen to any opinion.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
IMO, if you're doing any desert riding with faster speeds, a 450 is needed. Otherwise, the CRF250x would be a killer trail bike.

I had a WR250F and it was WAY nimble, but ran out of steam in the open desert.

STAG

I'll be getting the Honda 230F because I'm so short and so the frame and everything just fits me and has a really predictable powerband. But it's kinda hard to say what is perfect, for the dunes a 250 4stroke is really a bare minimum.

Also, years are a big part of the equation too. KC's stock '06 ktm 250 makes a whole lot more power than his 2011 KTM 250 with an Akropovic exhaust system. But the difference there is rideability. His 2011 is fuel injected and has a lot smoother powerband and a helluva lot better suspension.

pELYgroso

'Merica
If I could go pick any bike it would be the KTM 300 XCW-e. 2 stroke trail bike w/ a wide range tranny, electric start, pre-wired for enduro lights, and all the power you could ever need on any trail while remaining very usable in the low-end. 120 mph top speed with ability to putt along a gnarly trail! Probably as much power as a 450 4 stroke but 2 stroke reliability.....makes me drool! review link: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ktm/2010-ktm-300-xcw-review-89083.html

Since I can't afford one I went with what I think is the next best thing! early 90's 2 stroke wr 250! Similar idea to the ktm but with older suspension and at <$1k in decent condition, the best choice for me and my budget! I went from an '04 KX250F w/ a 270 kit on it, leo vince exhaust, blah blah.....a very fast bike for a 4 stroke 250 to my '94 WR250 2 stroke, and I haven't looked back!

rholbrook

I personally would never be happy with anything less than a 450 for an all around bike. Dunes, you can't beat a 500 oil burner. I love my WR450. It has a lot smoother and mellower power compared to a YZ450 There is no substitute for horsepower.

Cascadia

Undecided
Rus that's why I'm thinking a 450. For all around, road, single track, and long stretches, I'd rather not be pinned in a 250. If I had the money I'd get a 250 and 450, but I don't have that kind of money. Anyone have experience with an exc 450? I've also heard that the 300 exc rides like a "3 stroke". Is it really the best of both worlds or still not enough for speed stretches without being pinned?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
For me everything the 450 has power wise makes up for it in weight. I'm hands down a much better rider on a 250cc 2T vs. a 450 4T just because of that. Its an age old battle as to which is best, but I will say you'd have to be a very talented and very competitive rider to 'need' more than what a 250 2T has to offer for almost every type of riding.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you want to trade your 250 in favor of a 300. Was it the power you didn't like because performance/power wise the two are very similar :confused:

Cascadia

Undecided
It's not necessarily that I want a 300, I've just heard good things about them and heard that the powerband is smoother. I also still haven't ridden a 4 stroke before. Does anyone want to go out on Saturday with a 4 stroke and let me try it out. Supposed to be real nice weather. I just think that a 450 would be better for the toad use it might see and the longer faster rides which I hope to do more of. Who knows, I might change my mind fast and end up with another 250. Is there a noticeable difference in a 250 2t and 4t?

Cascadia

Undecided
I might as well ask while were on the subject of weight. Is the 525 exc a super heavy bike? I like the looks but other than that I know nothing.

Cascadia

Undecided
I'll answer my own question. The 250 weighs in at 229 and the 525 weighs in at 249. Is that a huge difference on trail? I'm 6'1 and about 180-185 ( it's winter), I'm usually 175. ;)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'm 6'3 215ish, and never have a lack of power problem with my 07 WR450, it's a great bike, but it does get a little heavy after a long technical ride. You'll also get quite a bit more range out of a 250 if you plan on doing longer rides. My buddies with stock tanks on a 250 can go as far as I can on a desert tank with my 450.

I've been tempted to step down to a 250 for range, and a little lighter bike.

Then again I don't do a whole lot of wide open across the desert riding, I typically stick to more technical slower single track runs where I think I may benefit from a lighter bike with more range, I'm usually only in 1-3 gear anyway so I'm not really using all the 450's goodness.

I guess it ultimately depends how and where you want to ride, and if you have the endurance to control a 450 over a 6-7 8 10 hour ride, it's a lot of bike.

If you can get a hold of one I'd say ride one before you commit. I'd totally be down for a ride this Saturday and do some bike swapping, but unfortunately I will be working.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
If you're still planning on Moab this weekend, I would like to meet up for some riding and you can try my stock-ish '04 WR450. Like has been mentioned, its a bit heavy but has plenty of power and good low end.

My bike is a bit tall, thanks to the additional foam in the seat.

I rode an older KTM 300 EXC and while it was nice and very flickable, it just didn't do it for me. I like having gobs of torque and an engine that pulls hard when you need the power.

I bet you would be happy with a 450 EXC if you like the Orange bikes.

rholbrook

I think its time for you to come riding with me and we can drag Caleb along so you can spend some seat time in a 300 and a WR450. Looking at your height, you should be fine in the saddle of a bigger KTM. The big KTM 4 strokers have soooo much power. They are fun to ride. My friend is 5-9 and 200 lbs throws one around like its a 250. Heavier flywheels help the race bikes to tame them and make them more trailable. Honestly, can you buy a bad bike anymore? When I bought my WR, I was also looking at the CRFx and KTM. What I liked about the Yamaha is that there is a dealer every 15 miles and within 45 miles, you can get nearly any part you need. KTM is a different story. Honda is like Yamaha. I have yet to be stranded without parts since I got ride of my VOR 503.

I personally dont like the 250 4Ts. I do like the 250 2Ts. I would love a newer 250 2T with a big bore kit and heavy flywheel.

STAG

My brothers KTM 250=218lbs
My yamaha YZ450F = 216 lbs
My sisters CRF150F = 236 lbs
Dry weights

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
To the OP here's how these bikes typically stack up in power with a few exceptions:

125 2T < 250 4T <= 200 2T < 250 2T < 450 4T < 520-525 4T < 500 2T

To answer your question a 250cc 2T has a LOT more power than a 250cc 4T.

As for the orange bikes I personally like the power of the 520-525 4T over the 450's. They have that old school grunt that I love, but really get up and boogie when you lay on the throttle!

I have yet to be stranded without parts since I got ride of my VOR 503.

Hey I didn't know you had a VOR! They are really cool but yes parts support nightmare :ugh:

Cascadia

Undecided
Well my bike just sold so I can officially start looking for my next bike. And yes Greg and Andrew, I like the orange bikes. I've slways liked orange and it looks even better on a bike.

ricsrx

If you want to take out my 250x, not to try and sell it to you but to let you get a feel for it your more that welcome to check it out.

ricsrx

yea i finished riding it off the trail and didnt even notice but i kept hearing a ticking noise from the rear tire then noticed the broken spoke. i dont know how two spokes break but i asume thats what lets the rim bend