How much Bike?

jentzschman

Ok, I have been looking at the KTM 300 but there are a few out there: xc, exc, and xc-w. Anyone with knowledge about this and what so many variations? (Yes, I have and am googling more about them as well ;) )

EDIT: found this stuff:

300 EXC and XC have identical motor, cylinder head and ignition, only 1st and 2nd gear is very slightly different, the power is the same, 250 is a different story and thats where people get confused

Suspension is more MX focussed on XC with twin chamber fork and stiffer settings.

For Enduro the EXC is a better bet, you have all the road legal requirements. XC is more difficult to register, it is possible in UK but most other European countrys you cannot register it.

The Xc is more of a racer bike if you like to rev if your doing h&hs they are great. If you race more enduros the exc is prob the way to go.

Xc has
CC forks better for fast woods riding and mx
Different head more compression (closesr to sx)
Gear ratios 1st & 2nd gear dif
No lights etc

Last edited:

Caleb

That's a fairly decent description, although the exc in the US is equal to the xcw in the last couple years (the us doesn;t have an exc 2t like the rest of the world does anymore). The xcw comes with a wider ratio trans and usually comes with a headlight. Depending on year, xcw has electric start, xc does not. Everything that comes on the xcw is plug and play on the xc. For example, my xc has a headlight on it now. You can even swap trans if you so desire. The xc also usually has a better suspension (same year vs. same year). Something about KTM, even though each year looks similar to each other, they usually change a fair amount each year on the bikes (unlike the jap bikes that rarely change anything). On paper, the xcw sounds better due to the wider trans, etc but in reality most guys tend to find the spacing between gears on the xcw a bit off and prefer the xc. I love how the xc is spaced for trail riding and the little bit of on-road riding I've done, it feels geared similar to what my Honda 450x was.

jentzschman

Good to know. Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I would like the xcw a little more as it already has a headlight and brake light, so the conversion to full street would seem to make it easier and less costly. (so I assume)

I would like to have it street legal pretty fast as I could see myself really enjoying the street aspect of it...

But again, I am so new to the off road bikes, It is really hard for me to find a happy medium.

Caleb

Good to know. Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I would like the xcw a little more as it already has a headlight and brake light, so the conversion to full street would seem to make it easier and less costly. (so I assume)

No brake light on either. You would still have to add that. You would also have to add a brake switch, turn signals, horn, and mirror to both bikes. The only difference as far as street legal parts from the factory is the headlight (and that's not always the case because the XC can come with a headlight from the factory).

Cascadia

Undecided
If you're not stuck on the 2t then an xcf-w would be a good option. It's a four stroke but still has the wide ratio and 6 gears. Seems like it would help out with the on road driving you plan on doing. I got nearly 100 miles to the tank on mine and it was only a couple gallons.

Caleb, how many miles did you get to your stock tank (do you know?) and how come you want to sell your 300?

jentzschman

Oh, I must have assumed there was a brake light on the xcw when I was looking at them at Edge Motorsports today. (did not think to ask the guy about that)

I knew I would have to add the other parts.

I know for a fact whatever I decide, it will need to be street legal. I know there are time I will want to ride, but will not be able to make it to the dirt or with people, so I would want to be able to just cruse. Just trying to find the best way to get there with the best cost value in mind.

sixstringsteve

caleb's bike is the finest trail bike I've ever thrown my leg over. It absolutely rocks in the AF Canyon singletrack trails, but still has plenty of pep for enduro/desert riding. I love that bike.

jentzschman

The biggest reason I want a 2t is for the cost of maintenance and repair work. I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to engine work, but I feel pretty comfortable working on a 2t vs a 4t.

If you're not stuck on the 2t then an xcf-w would be a good option. It's a four stroke but still has the wide ratio and 6 gears. Seems like it would help out with the on road driving you plan on doing. I got nearly 100 miles to the tank on mine and it was only a couple gallons.

Caleb, how many miles did you get to your stock tank (do you know?) and how come you want to sell your 300?

jentzschman

Thanks steve. This is why I love this site, lots of great people with great advice. Even willing to allow others to have a go at what they have to help others. RME rocks!

caleb's bike is the finest trail bike I've ever thrown my leg over. It absolutely rocks in the AF Canyon singletrack trails, but still has plenty of pep for enduro/desert riding. I love that bike.

Caleb

I never rode it dry (or even close) and have never had a GPS on this bike to get distance, but I would venture to guess (depending on how you ride it) I could get ~80 miles on the stock tank and with my desert tank I could get a bit over 100 miles on a tank (the "desert" tank only added .8 gal I believe). Only reason I'm considering selling is I never ride it. I've had it out twice since our ride up hobble creek (to give you an idea of how little it's been ridden). If I don't sell (I haven't even listed it yet) then I'll just have to get over the guilt of having it sit most of the time. :D

Thanks Steve, it is a trail slaying machine :D

Cascadia

Undecided
Ya I thought we were going to do weekly rides up af and rme rides once a month. It wasn't happening. I had my bike out 4 times up until a month ago. So I sold my bike for asking price and got my family a wakeboard boat. We've had a blast and we've already gone out 6 times. Maybe I'll get another bike for next year, but it wasn't getting used enough this year.

jentzschman

When I get my bike, probably in the spring it looks like at this point, I hope to get out and ride a few times a month at least with people from here...