how to press the bearing on the axle

00harpdawg

i have to replace my seals on my dana 44 on a tj. i know most of you do it your self what do you guys use to press the bearing and retaining ring back on the axle any info would be great

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
A bearing heater? They work wonders on the "pressed on" bearings in electric motors. Just heat it up slide it on & let it cool.

frankenfab

A 12 ton press and press plates like this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33497

33497.gif

If I was going to buy another, I'd get the 20 ton model...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32879

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Yup... A press... You'll also need a set10 kit (bearing, seal and retaining collar) - I sell them for $28.64 a side. Put the retainer plate on, then the seal, then press the bearing on. Then press the collar on and when you do that, make darn sure the thing is going on straight and that you have the 'beveled' side going on first. If you don't, you can muck it up and have to replace the set10 kit again. If you bring your axle by, I'll take it down and press them on for you.

You will also need to remove them from the axle first. The retaining collar you will need to drill a 1/2" hole into the collar. Once you get almost all the way through, you will hear a 'pop' and notice the collar has cracked completely through. Then you just use a puller and pull it off. The bearing just use a puller to get it off as well.

After you get it all done and go to slide the axle back in, take some heavy gear oil and squirt into the axle tube where the bulge is. This way when you slide the axle back in, there will already be a supply of lube at the bearing/seal area. Of course, this is in addition to the assembly lube you used on the seal/bearing during installation.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Ditto, heat em and they drop right on. My wife cooks Thanksgiving dinner in my heater (hint)..... :D

Just clean them up real good before heating with carb cleaner, and you'll keep the stench to a minimum.

Rick B said:
A bearing heater? They work wonders on the "pressed on" bearings in electric motors. Just heat it up slide it on & let it cool.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
BCGPER said:
Ditto, heat em and they drop right on. My wife cooks Thanksgiving dinner in my heater (hint)..... :D

Just clean them up real good before heating with carb cleaner, and you'll keep the stench to a minimum.
True... Tossing them in your oven at 300* for 20 minutes will most likely do the trick, too. In addition, if you can put the axles in the fridge overnight that will help too! :D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
00harpdawg said:
i've been told just heat them up a little and get a pipe that goes over your axle and just hit it with a hammer will this work
If you are going to heat them up, then use a oven or something like that - not a torch! They need to heat up slowly and evenly, likewise they need to cool slowly and evenly. If not, you will ruin the temper and weaken them.

As for using a piece of pipe, yeah, you can do that - just make sure it's the right size, so you don't ruin the bearing/race. Once the bearing/collar are hot, they will practically slide on by themselves.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I took my axle to a shop to have the seal replaced cause it was leaking pretty bad... they told me that they always replace the bearing at the same time... well they did all that I though... it still leaks! and after looking at it they only replaced the bearing and not the seal that I orginally went in for...

Hey Wayne pm me your address and maybe I'll come buy the kit and have you install it for me as well....
John

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
gijohn40 said:
I took my axle to a shop to have the seal replaced cause it was leaking pretty bad... they told me that they always replace the bearing at the same time... well they did all that I though... it still leaks! and after looking at it they only replaced the bearing and not the seal that I orginally went in for...
John

You might have a bent axle housing if the actually did change the seal. If not, that's lame of them.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
In order to get the seal off, you have remove the locking collar and bearing, which in turn ruins the locking collar.

I don't have any set10's in stock right now. If you were to pick them up at 4wheelparts or Teraflex, I'll press them on for you. I should have them in a few days, but if you are looking to go to Richfield this weekend....

Personally, I would do both sides at the same time even if only one side is leaking right now...

My address is
663 east center street
Pleasant Grove

Which is exit 275 from I15 and head east about 5 miles. After you cross state street, PG parkway turns into center street. I'm up on the left and you'll see my white Jeep in the driveway on jack stands.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
00harpdawg said:
what's wrong with you jeep did you break something i might try and come by this week and have you help me if i can't get them on
I helped a couple guys get a XJ out of some canyon about the B in Bountiful and caused some problems with my rig... Mostly suspension, but it also ruined the front gears - backlash went from .010 to ~.030".

This is the front upper control arm. Notice the bolt went right through the bushing and then egg shaped the housing!
rubicon%20arms%20001.jpg

rubicon%20arms%20002.jpg

These are pictures of the crossmember. Notice the crack by the lower (rear) control arm mounts - on both sides!
rubicon%20arms%20004.jpg

rubicon%20arms%20006.jpg

rubicon%20arms%20007.jpg

rubicon%20arms%20009.jpg

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Nice pictures... was that XJ fully loaded with a 34 foot trailer or something? must have been a very hard recovery! Next time let me know I have a 12,000 ramsey on my expedition and would be glad to help out...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
gijohn40 said:
Nice pictures... was that XJ fully loaded with a 34 foot trailer or something? must have been a very hard recovery! Next time let me know I have a 12,000 ramsey on my expedition and would be glad to help out...
Go here to read more about it and see pictures of the recovery efforts.
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=35253
I have a 16,500 Warn on my rig and honestly, another winch woudln't have made any difference.