How would YOU build a highway-worthy, ultra-cheap 4x4 on 35s?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
(This is purely a hypothetical situation, at least at the moment.)

Let's say you were planning ahead. You currently trailer your not-highway-friendly rig everywhere you go, but you can see a future where trailering might no longer be possible. This makes you wonder what you might do to replace your current rig with something you can highway drive to the trails... specifically, to Moab.

Here's the rub: you're a trail official for EJS, and one of the trails you run every year is rated a 7. Safari rules require your rig to have 35" tires and two locking diffs. The lockers aren't much of a concern, but the 35s are--they need to fit under your rig and also not ruin its highway road manners. Re-gearing to a carefully-selected axle ratio will be necessary to preserve as much highway fuel economy as possible.

In summary, here are the target goals/wishes for this rig:
  • it's gotta be cheap (around $5000 if possible)
  • enough lift to fit 35" tires
  • able to comfortably cruise at 65-70 MPH on the highway
  • able to eek out reasonable fuel economy while doing so (20mpg might be impossible, so... high teens?)
  • something less than a full-size rig is a plus to help fit on narrow trails and tight turns
My initial thought was a first-gen Jeep Liberty... but as I googled some images it seems they need about a foot of lift to fit 35s. So that might not work.

Any ideas? What rig would YOU build in this situation?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The rig has to be under $5000? Or the whole package has to be under $5000?

I'm thinking an older domestic pickup could be a good platform, my '01 F150 fit 35s with just a little crank of the torsion bars and pushed them without a regear, although it was sluggish on the climbs. A second gen 4Runner should come in under $5000 still, maybe even a 3rd gen if you hunt, either will fit 35s with minimal lifting/trimming. An earlier Grand Cherokee, probably? Used to see a lot of Passports and Rodeos on the trail, if I remember they had a D44 rear that was pretty nice.

Fuel economy is another factor entirely, but a 2nd gen 4Runner with the 22RE and a five speed ought to see close to 20 mpg. I think the Bastard got 20ish on skinny 33s, but it was lighter than a 2nd gen...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

I'm thinking an older domestic pickup could be a good platform, my '01 F150 fit 35s with just a little crank of the torsion bars and pushed them without a regear, although it was sluggish on the climbs. A second gen 4Runner should come in under $5000 still, maybe even a 3rd gen if you hunt, either will fit 35s with minimal lifting/trimming. An earlier Grand Cherokee, probably? Used to see a lot of Passports and Rodeos on the trail, if I remember they had a D44 rear that was pretty nice.
Rodeo/Passport and Amigo all had coil sprung D44 rear axles. Front end is torsion bar. You can fit 35's under them "fairly" easily, your limiting factor is going to be the locker for the Isuzu 10-bolt front end. There never was much available for them and nada these days.

I'd say a ZJ.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
This guy. PLEASE go herd a bunch of angry-eye JKs from the driver's seat of this guy.

Putting 35's under a Sidekick is no small task. You're basically looking at a solid axle swap. Also, that 1.6 would have a hard time pushing those 35's at 70mph!
But I concur, it's always fun to make angry eye Jeeps look pathetic as they take the bypass and you walk up the obstacle in your odd ball rig.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My LJ fits all but the budget :D. Prior to the LS it would pull mid teens from PG to Moab. Soldier Summit was 55mph but the rest was easy to maintain highway speeds with 4.88 gears and 35's.
With the LS, it gets upper teens MPG while easily holding 70 over the summit on 37's.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I don't think it's possible with the prices today. It's the classic FAST - CHEAP - RELIABLE scenario. Just change FAST to CAPABLE.

It might be possible to get a good deal on a cheap Jeep or similar and budget boost it and add 35's and lunchbox lockers but it will likely be awful on the highway. And good gas mileage? HA!

Pile of parts

Yep, increase your budget - or use the accessory budget to increase the budget - and buy a JK Rubicon. Easily fit 35s, factory lockers and cruise comfortably down the highway. I don't know how you could do both on and off road any cheaper or more capably.

The_Lobbster

I’m a fan of low COG builds.

I think it depends on what all you want, passenger capacity, AC, etc.
But if somebody gave me $5,000 to spend right now, here’s what I’d do.

Stretched Sami, starting with this base (for sale by one the Conks from LowRange)
Tube front clip, probably chop the back and make into a pickup style.
Toyota axles, which are included. Coils, radius arm or 3 link front. FJ80 box. Add Toy elockers.

2.0/2.3 J series engine, auto, to Sami tcase

Then, whatever 35’s I found for cheap off KSL.

IMG_1487.jpeg

IMG_1488.jpeg

(This is purely a hypothetical situation, at least at the moment.)

Let's say you were planning ahead. You currently trailer your not-highway-friendly rig everywhere you go, but you can see a future where trailering might no longer be possible. This makes you wonder what you might do to replace your current rig with something you can highway drive to the trails... specifically, to Moab.

Here's the rub: you're a trail official for EJS, and one of the trails you run every year is rated a 7. Safari rules require your rig to have 35" tires and two locking diffs. The lockers aren't much of a concern, but the 35s are--they need to fit under your rig and also not ruin its highway road manners. Re-gearing to a carefully-selected axle ratio will be necessary to preserve as much highway fuel economy as possible.

In summary, here are the target goals/wishes for this rig:
  • it's gotta be cheap (around $5000 if possible)
  • enough lift to fit 35" tires
  • able to comfortably cruise at 65-70 MPH on the highway
  • able to eek out reasonable fuel economy while doing so (20mpg might be impossible, so... high teens?)
  • something less than a full-size rig is a plus to help fit on narrow trails and tight turns
My initial thought was a first-gen Jeep Liberty... but as I googled some images it seems they need about a foot of lift to fit 35s. So that might not work.

Any ideas? What rig would YOU build in this situation?
The budget sucks. Literally, the JK we bought for Zach is what you are describing. Maybe find another '15ish Rubicon on 35s? Else, an '07 JKUR and just gear the sh*t out of it?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars

Back in the day, I would have said the whole package. As much as I'd like that to still be the case, deep down inside I know it just isn't realistic.

I don't think it's possible with the prices today. It's the classic FAST - CHEAP - RELIABLE scenario. Just change FAST to CAPABLE.

The budget sucks.

Yeah, I know. <sigh>

Yep, increase your budget - or use the accessory budget to increase the budget - and buy a JK Rubicon.

Literally, the JK we bought for Zach is what you are describing.

Cost no object, this is the obvious solution. But it would be extremely out of the budget I'd have available.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hmm. What rear axle(s) came in the ZJ? And how do 35s fit inside the wheel wells?
Pretty "meh" on the rear axle and the transmission in the ZJ. You're lifting and cutting/trimming for 35"
XJ on lunchbox lockers?

This is about as good as I can think of and stay in budget (kind of---I bet you're $5-8k into one?) and do the highway travel thing. You'll have XJ issues. Unibody, doors and clunks and squeaks. They are decent rigs for what they are. Definitely a '91-99 unit. '97-99 being kind of the goodest. The trans is good (AW4), 4.0L is solid. D35 is junk but the 8.25 rear (I think I have an extra one that needs a new home?) is "ok" with 33-35" tires. 4-5" lift and lift/cut, disconnects and some lunch box lockers/gears (4.10 minimum for 35"--- 4.56 gears are where I'd go and most people like the 4.88 with 35" tires) and appropriate tires (there's $1200-1500 there alone) and you're over budget.

@lbryson is into hers at about $4500-5000 with 33" JT takes offs, friend installed gears and a purchased rig with lift already on it. If you found one of those maybe you'd get a cool "Ain't Skeered" sticker on one?

Last edited: