Hunt's "Pumpkin" project for his Nephew

Hunt

Back in high school I drove a bright orange 1979 GMC Sierra nicknamed "The Pumpkin". I though it was the coolest thing around. The truck was given to me by my grand father. It was actually my second vehicle I ever owned but still my most cherished. It started life as a 2 wheel drive diesel pickup. At some point someone stabbed a 350 Oldsmobile in it. That motor was on its last leg when I got it and gave up shortly. I built a nice Chevy 350 for it. The truck had all the options of its time. Power window, power locks, power steering, tilt column, AC, cruise control, and because it was originally diesel it had Hydro boost brakes.

The last time the truck moved was a few nights before I left for the military. My brother in his Trans-Am and me in my truck raised a whole lot of hell in our little one stop light town. Cops where involved and when I finally got home I advised my dad that the orange truck should probably stay out of town for a while. It has sat next to my parents barn ever since. Now my nephew seem to have laid claim to it.

We came to the agreement that his dad and I will help get it running and maybe do a few "additions" to it and he is more than welcome to drive it when he turns 16. Of course the normal rules apply with keeping his grades up and keeping it nice. The understanding is that I am "lending" it to him and when he is done with it I get it back. Where its 6 months or 60 years.

Its been an Arizona truck all its live. Zero rust but needs some TLC. I redid the interior back in the day. Made an aluminum dash and fitted it with Autometer gauges. It is 2wd with a healthy 350, Holley double pumper on an alumium Edelbrock intake. Full MSD box, retart and distributor. 350 trans with a high stall (can't remember what). Regeared the rear. It was a very nice truck for a 16-18 year old high school kid.

What my older brother and I are looking at doing is making it 4 wheel drive. A 14 bolt rear, 60 front, 203 transfer case and a HD TH-400 trans. Probably torch off some spring hangers out of an wrecked 4x4 for the front leafs and a trans/transfer case crossmember if needed. I love these old trucks. So many things cross over between the various models.

I need some help finding a good 6"-ish lift system. Nothing crazy. I want basic and bullet proof. Leaf springs all the way around with no blocks. Maybe some Devers. We will be building it for a kid but at the same time for myself. We will do high-steer arms with a hydro assist to help out the steering.

My nephew is a great kid and I don't get to spend much time with him. It's something he can learn on, have some time, sweet and elbow grease into and appreciate.

Thoughts or suggestions are always welcomed

Last edited:

Hunt

Found some old photos of the truck!

Attachments

• sc0000a273.jpg
    sc0000a273.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 23
  • sc0005a48e.jpg
    sc0005a48e.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 18

Chevycrew

4" lift or so with 35's, keep em tucked under the fenders and they fit better.

Shackle flip rear, 52" front springs, etc. I wouldnt bother with factory hangers, just get new.