I hate Craigslist Lowballers...

The_Lobbster

Guy was asking $200 for a transfercase, listed over a week, zero history on condition. Ad said nothing at all about firm on price, make offer, etc, so I figured I’d throw something out.

Didn’t respond with a counter or anything, so I figure if I’m not worth his time, he’s not worth mine either.

Edit: I still want this thing, so I lowballed him from a texting app number so my number looks better. I hope it's not somebody from here haha.

IMG_2878.jpeg

STAG

On my grind
I don’t know if this is hypocritical of me or not, but in general, if someone is already coming out to look at an item I have for sale I generally stay firm on my listed price, I don’t give discounts to people I don’t know. But on the other hand if I’m headed out to go look at something I have no shame in throwing out a reasonable offer to see if they’ll take it, never hurts to ask I guess.

My H2 wheels/tires I bought were listed at $1,500 and I offered $1,200 and he said yes, so it saved me $300.

But when I was selling my take-offs from the H2 the guy really tried to give me $100 less than I was asking. I told him no, I’m firm at my price, (offered me $700 when I was asking $800) then he said “okay let’s load them up” so we put them in his truckbed and he told his wife to Venmo me $700 and I said “no, let’s unload them I’ll take them back” and after a bit of back and forth (“but I don’t have $800 in my account” he tried saying) I finally accepted $780 but I was 🤏🏽 this close to just taking them back.

The_Lobbster

I don’t know if this is hypocritical of me or not, but in general, if someone is already coming out to look at an item I have for sale I generally stay firm on my listed price, I don’t give discounts to people I don’t know. But on the other hand if I’m headed out to go look at something I have no shame in throwing out a reasonable offer to see if they’ll take it, never hurts to ask I guess.

My H2 wheels/tires I bought were listed at $1,500 and I offered $1,200 and he said yes, so it saved me $300.

But when I was selling my take-offs from the H2 the guy really tried to give me $100 less than I was asking. I told him no, I’m firm at my price, (offered me $700 when I was asking $800) then he said “okay let’s load them up” so we put them in his truckbed and he told his wife to Venmo me $700 and I said “no, let’s unload them I’ll take them back” and after a bit of back and forth (“but I don’t have $800 in my account” he tried saying) I finally accepted $780 but I was 🤏🏽 this close to just taking them back.
That's absolute BS that he tried to pull that crap after you loaded them. I would have 100% told him to kick rocks just for wasting my time.

I usually list stuff fairly cheap just to unload it quick, and as long as somebody doesn't try to pull one over on me, I'll give them a deal on top of it usually.

Possibly against the general feel and title of this thread, but I fully expect to make and receive offers of 25-50% of new price on anything posted online, regardless of condition. The rarity of the item, condition, market, and how bad I want to buy or sell determine if I accept. Some things I am only willing to buy if they are a steal, and others, I will pay asking price for them. Either way, I typically don't let my feelings about that particular item govern whether to make a low offer or not because I usually have no idea how much the other party wants to sell.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I never make an offer before seeing the item in person. I rarely make an offer even.
I am so tired of the BS, that If I need an item and their price is fair, I go buy it. If their price is not fair, I don't go buy it.
Sometimes the item is not as described, I explain my position and then agree to a different price, or just leave.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My general rule of thumb is that if the item has been up for under a week, I'll either pay the asking price or maybe offer a little under ($100, I'll offer $90). If its been up for more than a week, clearly you've got it listed too high or it'd be gone, so it's fair game to start making "reasonable offers".

That said, and we've covered it ad nauseum in this thread, no one knows how to negotiate anymore. It used to be kinda fun to haggle and get a good deal, but anymore I'll just buy something new if I can to avoid dealing with people and their "It's $139 +tax new and I've used it for five years so I want $139 for it!" BS.

And as far as selling stuff myself, unless it's really worth my time or something I know a certain community (like RME!) would find useful, I just throw most stuff away now.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Possibly against the general feel and title of this thread, but I fully expect to make and receive offers of 25-50% of new price on anything posted online, regardless of condition. The rarity of the item, condition, market, and how bad I want to buy or sell determine if I accept. Some things I am only willing to buy if they are a steal, and others, I will pay asking price for them. Either way, I typically don't let my feelings about that particular item govern whether to make a low offer or not because I usually have no idea how much the other party wants to sell.
I'm certain you could list a $50 bill on KSL for $40 and someone would offer your $30.

The_Lobbster

My general rule of thumb is that if the item has been up for under a week, I'll either pay the asking price or maybe offer a little under ($100, I'll offer $90). If its been up for more than a week, clearly you've got it listed too high or it'd be gone, so it's fair game to start making "reasonable offers".

That said, and we've covered it ad nauseum in this thread, no one knows how to negotiate anymore. It used to be kinda fun to haggle and get a good deal, but anymore I'll just buy something new if I can to avoid dealing with people and their "It's $139 +tax new and I've used it for five years so I want $139 for it!" BS.

And as far as selling stuff myself, unless it's really worth my time or something I know a certain community (like RME!) would find useful, I just throw most stuff away now.
I’ll take any Sami stuff and or MK1/MK2 VW stuff you toss 😂

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
“but I don’t have $800 in my account”
He shouldn't be buying your wheels then. I'll never try to buy something I don't have enough for the asking price (if I think it's reasonable). I will try to get a better deal but never let it "break your bank". What an idiot. Maybe you could have sold him 2 now and 2 later X-D

Sounds like the wife and kids are getting ramen noodles for the next couple months so he can have some cool wheels.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I’ll take any Sami stuff and or MK1/MK2 VW stuff you toss 😂
All the Mk1 Rabbit and Mk3 Jetta stuff is long gone. I do have many boxes of Samurai parts and two complete sets of hard top windows that have moved with me five times! Some day soon all that will come in handy!

I do have a couple boxes of Trooper parts I need to go through and sell off though.