I hate Taxes....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The best money I've spent is paying a more expensive tax professional.
Doing your own taxes is like doing your own dentistry.

😆 Bullshit.

I've been less that impressed with paid tax 'professionals'.

Obviously, if you can't wrap your head around doing your own taxes, you're better off paying someone to think for you.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Not always, I'd say more union employees are proud of the work they do and they do better quality than non-union workers... in my experience.
Having worked around both, I'd say even union workers are more motivated than government. As for union vs non, quality may be better, quantity is certainly lacking in unions I'm around in construction. Takes 4 guys 8 hours to drill 4 holes in our concrete floor to set inserts for seismic clips.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Having worked around both, I'd say even union workers are more motivated than government. As for union vs non, quality may be better, quantity is certainly lacking in unions I'm around in construction. Takes 4 guys 8 hours to drill 4 holes in our concrete floor to set inserts for seismic clips.

As with anything, it varies with trades and attitude towards the job, along with their skill and expertise.

I can't stand union employees that are entitled and think that just because they have the union behind them, they can under perform and slack off. That's just not right or fair.

I've worked both non-union and union skilled labor jobs and while I may not like how poorly managed my union can be, I'm glad I have contracts and agreements backing up what I get, in return for the work I do. I'm not one to push the idea that working for a union is the ONLY way to go for everyone, but it works for both my wife and I.

Anyway, this is quite the tangent... thanks @Cody

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
No. You need a good accountant. Not a tax professional. Imo
This is to what I'm referring. My accountant is a master CPA that saves me tens of thousands. I can't imagine trying to handle what Cody has going on for example by myself.

I've been less that impressed with paid tax 'professionals'.

When I was a single man or even a small family with a single or dual income W2 jobs--- sure give it a go yourself. That's crayons compared to what I'm referring.
Add a few complex businesses, inventory blah blah blah and that's a full time job.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
And let me just clarify what specifically I'm talking about... this is not h&r block, this is not Frank's tax service on the corner. This is specifically hiring someone to do your taxes and accounting that has experience and knowledge in your field of business.

This is interviewing more than three companies and then determining which one is best for you based on years of experience and referrals with actual businesses they currently take care of.

My accountant may well be excellent for the type of business that we have, they may not have any experience doing accounting and taxes for a bar / eatery like Cody owns.

There is enough tax law that you need to specifically look for someone who specializes in your field. I can't imagine hiring an attorney who specializes in DUI's to handle a child custody case.

It consistently amazes me that people call someone they don't know off of a Google search and give them their entire financial information without doing their due diligence and seeing if this person has actual experience in their field and what kind of experience they have including personal testimonials from other similar businesses.

This is specifically what I'm recommending.
I would love to see all of us succeed at business. And that definitely includes limiting our tax liabilities.

comingdown

We have a good accountant and what we pay him vs what we get is night and day. But we also have rentals, and my wife has her own private practice. We also run all that through an s-Corp so it’d get complicated quickly. We are able to consult with him throughout the year to see how things are looking, and if we need more write offs and such we can invest back in us instead of the government.

And unions is another topic, but my dad put in 30 years in the union in California, and doesn’t have much good to say about the workers there, plus now his government backed union retirement is less then half of what was promised because of various bad land investments so luckily he hedged his bets with real estate and is quite comfortable now. Real estate could be the best way to avoid taxes and still generate income. Totally worth it in my opinion.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Who do you guys use for your accounting and taxes? I've not been happy recently. Looking for salt lake valley..