I need to be schooled in SXS's

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
View attachment 143308
Finally able to play with new toy today. As with all things I hate work previous owners have done. And what kind of jackass covers a sxs in armoral to sell it. Notice the nice layer of red dirt adhering particularly well to one machine
ArmorAll hides all kinds of blemishes. Pledge does the same thing, and attracts nearly the same amount of dirt/dust. Enjoy the new toy! 😎

rholbrook

57117ADA-8258-4940-B4F4-8770125C7424.jpeg587C4041-DE70-4DA5-B61A-4BCD2F65E3E5.jpegTime to put some bigger tires on my RZR. It came with 30’s all around. I’m thinking 32’s. Do I do BFG, Tusk or some other brand? I have been waiting for the original tires to wearsome before getting new ones and have been waiting to order a spare tire carrier so they can custom make it for the tire size. I have been strapping a spare on the roof rack.

I added Polaris fenders which has really helped with keeping the mud out as well as some inserts in the rear fender wells. This has been fun. My wife says I have to get bigger tires and a winch before she goes with me again. That sounds like permission to spend money to me. We got caught on the waterfall at the end of Golden Spike. One Rzr had a winch which helped us all out. I think we could have done it without but it was dark and the women and children were tired and saw that as a life saver. The fun actually ended when the last Rzr was pulled up it.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Time to put some bigger tires on my RZR. It came with 30’s all around. I’m thinking 32’s. Do I do BFG, Tusk or some other brand?
Lots of options, but the Tusk and BFG are popular choices. The common complaint with the Tusk 32s is that they run small in that size. Due to the backlash, all sizes since releasing the 32s are much more true to size (and they’ll never go back and update current molds/tooling and release a larger 32). Having that said, just go BFG. You’ll get the height increase you’re looking for and overall it’s a better tire IMHO. More money, but I know you’re not one to compromise if the quality is there.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So out of curiosity, if you add portals to a SxS what tire size can you reliably & safely run? What becomes the failure point? What do portals cost on average?

I think if I were to get into SxS's, I'd be adding portals to a long travel machine and the biggest tires I could safely run.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
So out of curiosity, if you add portals to a SxS what tire size can you reliably & safely run? What becomes the failure point? What do portals cost on average?

I think if I were to get into SxS's, I'd be adding portals to a long travel machine and the biggest tires I could safely.
At face value, portals seem like the upgrade to solve all problems running bigger tires. Of course, the most obvious benefits are clearance for larger tires, gear reduction, and an increase in track width (to offset some of the height). There’s also the stress the portal boxes now are taking/sharing from other drivetrain components. Typically you’ll see 4”, 6”, and 8” boxes with 30% thru 60% reduction and cast or billet housings. Also, newer models now have dual idler gears for added strength. Cost for a set is typically between $3000 and $4500.

Here are the cons (excluding cost): Raised COG. Steering geometry is affected to the point some people find it unacceptable at speed (*to be fair, I’ve seen some guys rally real good while running portals. 🤷‍♂️) Increased stress on chassis, suspension hard parts/joints, and steering rack/tierods/joints. Murder on bearings and balljoints. Additional mods/adjustments required (longer brake lines, for example). Huge increase in maintenance/service intervals.

I can see why so many people run and love them, but I’d suspect most weren’t expecting the potential issues and maintenance that they bring.

For what it’s worth, I was offered a free set for my build and passed. My particular machine with portals would actually do more harm than good in regards to capability.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
At face value, portals seem like the upgrade to solve all problems running bigger tires. Of course, the most obvious benefits are clearance for larger tires, gear reduction, and an increase in track width (to offset some of the height). There’s also the stress the portal boxes now are taking/sharing from other drivetrain components. Typically you’ll see 4”, 6”, and 8” boxes with 30% thru 60% reduction and cast or billet housings. Also, newer models now have dual idler gears for added strength. Cost for a set is typically between $3000 and $4500.

Here are the cons (excluding cost): Raised COG. Steering geometry is affected to the point some people find it unacceptable at speed (*to be fair, I’ve seen some guys rally real good while running portals. 🤷‍♂️) Increased stress on chassis, suspension hard parts/joints, and steering rack/tierods/joints. Murder on bearings and balljoints. Additional mods/adjustments required (longer brake lines, for example). Huge increase in maintenance/service intervals.

I can see why so many people run and love them, but I’d suspect most weren’t expecting the potential issues and maintenance that they bring.

For what it’s worth, I was offered a free set for my build and passed. My particular machine with portals would actually do more harm than good in regards to capability.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the pro's & con's to a SxS clueless guy! It does sound like they're a compromise with some neat benefits.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Thanks for taking the time to explain the pro's & con's to a SxS clueless guy! It does sound like they're a compromise with some neat benefits.
You probably already had a pretty good understanding and/or theories on the subject, as they share a lot in common (benefit wise) with automotive portal boxes/axles. My answer was mostly for others following the thread. 😉

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Do I do BFG, Tusk or some other brand?

Seem to be a favorite with the local Sand Hollow crowd. Family has them on theirs and no complaints. I have BFG's on mine and they seem to work pretty well, don't hook in the sand or the rocks quite as well as those Maxxis. Don't have a ton of miles on them but played around for about 150 miles last couple days.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Try as I may, I have been unable to find any photos or posts about people hauling trail edition sxs's next to each other (double wide) on a trailer. In theory, a deck over trailer is 102" wide. hauling two 50" machines shouldn't even be difficult. Yet, I see people load sideways all the time, which makes them over legal width limits at 107" or more depending on machine.
Have you seen anyone load SXS's two wide? Is there something I am missing as to why it is not done?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I haven’t had much time to try to tackle my canam with the bad transmission. My garage is getting full, so I listed it for a price that would make me some money, and still give someone else a great deal.

933047D4-0A1B-41A5-8A44-BAA911EC8D0F.jpeg

It sold within a day for asking price. Super ironic, but when the guy picked it up, the transmission clicked into gear and he was able to drive it onto his trailer 🤦🏼‍♂️

But I felt better when it clicked back out and wouldn’t move again after it was loaded. Either way, I think he got a great deal.

We ended up picking up a 570. From what I can tell, the 570 and 800 are nearly identical in size. Obviously the 800 has more horses.. but maintenance and repairs on the 570 are light years easier… and because I am super bad about maintenance, the easy option got the nod.

9BC61931-FE49-48C1-ADA3-2C543C40239E.jpeg

I’ve got our arctic cat up for sale also, and if it sells I anticipate picking up a second 570. I believe I can fit both onto my truck bed, which will keep me from having to tow doubles behind the camp trailer.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I haven’t had much time to try to tackle my canam with the bad transmission. My garage is getting full, so I listed it for a price that would make me some money, and still give someone else a great deal.

View attachment 143557

It sold within a day for asking price. Super ironic, but when the guy picked it up, the transmission clicked into gear and he was able to drive it onto his trailer 🤦🏼‍♂️

But I felt better when it clicked back out and wouldn’t move again after it was loaded. Either way, I think he got a great deal.

We ended up picking up a 570. From what I can tell, the 570 and 800 are nearly identical in size. Obviously the 800 has more horses.. but maintenance and repairs on the 570 are light years easier… and because I am super bad about maintenance, the easy option got the nod.

View attachment 143558

I’ve got our arctic cat up for sale also, and if it sells I anticipate picking up a second 570. I believe I can fit both onto my truck bed, which will keep me from having to tow doubles behind the camp trailer.
If you buy a second 570 and load it like you're planning, you must refer to the machines as "The Twins" or "Lefty and Righty"

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
This one came home with me today. Picked it up in Kanab. Drive down took about 4 hours. Drive home took over 6 because of weather.

260680EF-39E0-44AA-AF29-4BF17B194A57.jpeg

It came with a trailer, so that was an added bonus.

47F0E204-B546-42B1-B898-286D26AAAF39.jpeg

I’ve sold the canam and the arctic cat I had. Made a few bucks off of them, and feel like I got some pretty good deals on the two 570’s.. so when it’s all said and done I feel like I am into these almost at a buy one get one free price.

I like the doors on the red one. They make it feel more roomy and safe. However, they rattle and squeak which drives me crazy.
They also add 6” the the overall width, so if I keep them I will have to create some sort of quick release system to take them off when the machines are both loaded.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
This one came home with me today. Picked it up in Kanab. Drive down took about 4 hours. Drive home took over 6 because of weather.

View attachment 143702

It came with a trailer, so that was an added bonus.

View attachment 143703

I’ve sold the canam and the arctic cat I had. Made a few bucks off of them, and feel like I got some pretty good deals on the two 570’s.. so when it’s all said and done I feel like I am into these almost at a buy one get one free price.

I like the doors on the red one. They make it feel more roomy and safe. However, they rattle and squeak which drives me crazy.
They also add 6” the the overall width, so if I keep them I will have to create some sort of quick release system to take them off when the machines are both loaded.
Lookin for a trailer if you decide to off load 😜

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Lookin for a trailer if you decide to off load 😜

I paid $1,500 for it in the deal, which according to KSL seems to be a decent price. I believe it is 6x10. New tires. Has a spare.
I think it's this trailer: HERE
I ended up hitting the DMV while I was in Kanab, as they both had AZ titles and I wanted to make sure it was all ok. The new title should be here in a week or two.
If $1,500 is in your budget, It's yours.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've got my double rack designed. Best I can tell I am looking at about $600 in materials, and about 300lbs. Add the rest of the gear and the machines, I figure close to 2,800lbs in the bed of the truck. It should be able to handle that fine, especially when I wedge 2x4's into the over load springs :D

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I had previously taped the floor and made sure measurements worked. However, I was still nervous.
This rack will hold the front wheel, and will be elevated to still allow gas cans/ generator/ firewood/ etc to be stowed underneath.
The machines fit on it as planned. They do hang just a little over, but in theory could be pushed together better to fit completely inside the width requirement.

3F783A43-B4F0-4A62-8200-4395967DC145.jpeg
759CB0FB-FA15-4BA4-AFA8-283C75205DF3.jpeg

The white one has aftermarket wheel that make it 3” wider. If it really comes down to it, I can just put stock wheels on to get it a little skinnier

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I had previously taped the floor and made sure measurements worked. However, I was still nervous.
This rack will hold the front wheel, and will be elevated to still allow gas cans/ generator/ firewood/ etc to be stowed underneath.
The machines fit on it as planned. They do hang just a little over, but in theory could be pushed together better to fit completely inside the width requirement.

View attachment 144297
View attachment 144298

The white one has aftermarket wheel that make it 3” wider. If it really comes down to it, I can just put stock wheels on to get it a little skinnier
I like that you’re just goin’ for it. 🤘 The theory/math works, I’m just interested to see how it looks loaded on your rig. SRW, yes?