I still have death wobble

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ill try that, I don't have a jack till Saturday and don't really want to wait. I had an old set of big Os on my cj and loved them, but there 10 yrs old and have changed a lot.

I've NEVER had a round set (out of maybe four sets?). If I'm buying a car with Big O tires, I do the deal like it has crap tires and go replace them with something else.

The swap will likely tell you if you have a tire issue or a suspension issue. If you put the back tires on the front, and the "death wobble" changes (gets worse, goes away, whatever, you know you have a tire problem of some kind), address the tire issue. If there's no change, then you've got a suspension issue of some kind.

I've had coil sprung Jeeps for about 11 years now, and have only had alignment problems (which you've had checked) that caused death wobble unless I had an obviously worn or loose part. In your case, I'm thinking you've got a tire problem (balance, tread separation, etc.) or something loose (that you've had checked).

JParriott

THREESIX
Can you post a picture? One paying close attention to the caster in relation to steering/drive line. Might sound dumb, but maybe something is so obvious it just keeps getting overlooked. Especially if replacing parts solved it once.
Check here to see details. LINK

Hope it helps

M

muddyjeep

One thing I didn't see on here, but is often overlooked, is shocks.
Worn out shocks will cause death wobble.

piecesnparts

If you can swap your rims/tires with some one for a few days. Like I said earlier in this thread I had DW and after I did everything a new set of tires fixed it. Even though the old ones were rotated and balanced multiple times something in the tire was causing the problem. The tire guy said it may have been a defect or a broken belt with in the tire.

Thanks Mbryson and Jay

We have a winner, rotated the tire and it went away. I can still feel the vibration but its not death wobble any more. So i will have to find some tires.

One thing I didn't see on here, but is often overlooked, is shocks.
Worn out shocks will cause death wobble.

My rear shocks are bad, I think my fronts are fine, I bought 4 shock and will install them tonight.
At least now its passable till I can round up some tires.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Thanks Mbryson and Jay

We have a winner, rotated the tire and it went away. I can still feel the vibration but its not death wobble any more. So i will have to find some tires.

My rear shocks are bad, I think my fronts are fine, I bought 4 shock and will install them tonight.
At least now its passable till I can round up some tires.

Gotta love those Big O tires. They do have a sweet warranty, though.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
... says the F**d driver. :D

I've had one set of Big O's, on that K30 I bought. They wore ok, but were a b*tch to balance and will not be replaced with more Big O's.

Glad you got the problem sorted out.

mbryson

Supporting Member
... says the F**d driver. :D

It's a trashinal...
nonFlash_logo.jpg

I wish GM still built trucks, but....

Coco

On mine I had gone through and did everything on the list(s) that were provided, and still nothing, it did get better, but still nothing. I finally rotated tires from front to back, (directional tires) and that cured the issue...but now the tires are cupping, and I am afraid that once I rotate them that it will start up again..:-\

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
On mine I had gone through and did everything on the list(s) that were provided, and still nothing, it did get better, but still nothing. I finally rotated tires from front to back, (directional tires) and that cured the issue...but now the tires are cupping, and I am afraid that once I rotate them that it will start up again..:-\

Pro Comp X-Terrains, correct? IMO I feel the same way about Pro Comps that MBryson feels about Big O tires... :-\

piecesnparts

So I guess I will ask the question, what tire do I want to put on there, Im thinking 31x10.5 R15 I dont know this is my first grand, do they do better with a 31x9.5(or 9 not real sure) R15?

Sorry there is probably a entire thread just for this question so I will also search for it.

I just dont understand the sense behind tires being the culprit. Maybe a diagram? I just love me some diagrams.

mbryson

Supporting Member
So I guess I will ask the question, what tire do I want to put on there, Im thinking 31x10.5 R15 I dont know this is my first grand, do they do better with a 31x9.5(or 9 not real sure) R15?

Sorry there is probably a entire thread just for this question so I will also search for it.

I just dont understand the sense behind tires being the culprit. Maybe a diagram? I just love me some diagrams.

Quality tires usually don't suffer from belt separation under "use" and are more "round". If a tire has a cord or belt separation (or any other defect) you'll feel it in your suspension.

Go take a spin in ANY car with Bridgestones or Michelin tires. Then take that same car and put on some "house brand" or abused tires and tell me what you think. The link suspension in Jeeps just accentuates the negatives of crappy tires.

I've personally had good luck with Goodyear MT/Rs and Toyo MTs. I'd assume a BFG Mud or all terrain, Firestone, Bridgestone or Michelin would stand up to some abuse before breaking down and riding crappy. An Interco just starts kinda crappy, but they are what they are :D. There's probably a few other brands that'd work pretty well (Nitto?) before you get to a General, Cooper or whatever (which I think Big O and Les Schwab rebrand for their private lines). Basicly, you get what you pay for in a tire, IMHO. A lot of times you can cost justify the premium tires by the dealer taking care of you with free/balance rotation standard with the tire vs. paying for it on the other lines.

The above is just my opinion/experience. I've owned over 50-60 cars and been driving since I was about 12. My dad bought cheap tires. I started buying BFG Radial T/As (cuz they were the chit on bitchin' Camaros/Chevelles/etc.) and moved up from there to Goodyear Eagle STs (that'll date me) and kinda noticed the above. As I moved into trucks/off road, I think the gap widens between the "premium" lines vs. the secondary (esp. at any kind of speed).

YMMV, but I'm gonna keep buying premium tires because I think they are round and balance better and I get more miles out of them.

Oh: Just for the record. We've got a ZJ we've had for about 11 years now. We had "Pathfinder" (31 x 10.50) tires on it when we got it. They wore out fast and were kinda not "round" (maybe 25K miles?). I couldn't believe the difference in the drive quality after putting on Goodyear AT/S all terrains (roughly 45K miles), again, 31 x 10.50. Now we're running Goodyear GSAs for the third time in a row (30 x 9.50). They're not as nice as the AT/S, but VERY cheap (TJ take offs) and wear about 30-35K.

Last edited:

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
I had extremely terrible death wobble with my 42" TSLs on my Dodge Ram. I re-did the steering, adjusted the pinion angle, the caster angle, changed ball joints, etc... then I tried lowering my street pressure a little and it almost totally eliminated the problem... I went from 15 psi to 10 psi and they rode great! I now run my new Pitbulls at 10 psi on the street and they ride with no wobble... might give it a try... just my $.02 from a guy that literally almost died from death wobble!
Matt

piecesnparts

I had extremely terrible death wobble with my 42" TSLs on my Dodge Ram. I re-did the steering, adjusted the pinion angle, the caster angle, changed ball joints, etc... then I tried lowering my street pressure a little and it almost totally eliminated the problem... I went from 15 psi to 10 psi and they rode great! I now run my new Pitbulls at 10 psi on the street and they ride with no wobble... might give it a try... just my $.02 from a guy that literally almost died from death wobble!
Matt

I might try that for the time being till I can pick up some tires. Im running 40psi on some 30"x9.5xR15 BigO AT (original post was wrong.)

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
40 sounds like a lot of pressure. For a light weight rig like a cherokee I think you would be closer to 35 psi. Have you done a chalk test?