Impact Driver

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
It seems like one of the tools that I don't have, that I should have. Do you have and if so is it valuable tool? I'm looking at a Dewalt that is tipping the scale at $300.00 and just wondering if it is worth spending the money for.

Input?

I love my brushless Makita. I've never had luck with dewalts. Too many have failed all my cordless tools are Makita now and between the warranty and so far ability to take abuse I'd choose Makita over dewalt any day

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Another satisfied Milwaukee owner here. I love my impact for driving screws and lags. It seems like I got my whole package for about $400 a few years back. If you look for a deal around Christmas, I'll bet you can do better than $300 for one tool.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have both Milwaukee and Dewalt and have had good luck with both, I'm sure there are good stories and bad stories regarding both manufactures, kinda like the Ford Chevy thang. But the thing is, this post is not about brands, but more of the who uses them and was it worth getting one question.

Thanks,

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have an 18v Milwaukee, got in a set with a drill for ~$200. I'm pretty sure it's not brushless...but it's surprisingly fantastic. I'd love one of the larger impact drivers, with a 1/2" square drive...

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
iqlop5.jpg

This is my goto tool for everything with a screw or a bolt. You'll be amazed at how handy an impact driver is, then you'll figure out how much more awesome a small but still powerful one is since your not always using all the tq one can deliver. This one is so small and comfortable I always go to it first, and it'll still easily drive multiple 3" deck screws into a 4x4... worth more than what it cost.
And when i need the big gun I get this one...

2s1oyl5.jpg

The makita was $99 including impact, drill, charger, and 2 batteries, and the milwaukee was $200 including the same

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hummm.... I guess I over looked the big and heavy fact about the one I'm looking at, I like the idea of having a smaller one for quick and light jobs too. It would be nice if one of these manufactures offered a bundle with a light version and a heavy version. I have a couple of screw guns so I don't need to look at that kind of kit, know what I mean?

DAA

Supporting Member
I have an 18v Milwaukee, got in a set with a drill for ~$200. I'm pretty sure it's not brushless...but it's surprisingly fantastic. I'd love one of the larger impact drivers, with a 1/2" square drive...

I have the same set and didn't really know I needed the impact until I found myself using it more than almost any other tool I own. I love that darn thing. Eventually I added the 1/2" hi torque impact too and my compressor hardly runs at all anymore. And when a friend needed to do some work underneath his rig on our Rubicon trip he smiled a great big smile when I handed him that 1/2" cordless impact :cool:. Since I take that one with me all the time now, I figure I'll never have to change another flat tire too :D.

- DAA

Toad

I have a a Dewalt that I use at the shop every day. It is one of the cheaper 20volt models. It is surprising powerful. I have the Milwaukee kit here at the house. Both have been great. Dewalt see a lot more use. I also have Ingersoll Rand 1/2 cordless. Great tool. I never use my pneumatic tools any more. I was told from one of the tool truck guys that IR is pulling most of the funding for air tools and dedicating it to cordless.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I use Milwaukee, I use it every day and love it. I like it better then the snap-on ones they replaced. Can't beat the warranty either. 5 years on the tool, 2 years on the battery's for the impacts and drills. I bought the 1/4" kit which is awesome for interior work and small repairs. I love the 3/8" for everything else.

I think it's safe to say the general opinion is yes they are great to have and worth the $$. Honestly you could have a great arsenal of cordless tools and be the same or cheaper then buying a compressor, all the same tools and the fittings and hoses needed to run them, also makes late night jobs less obnoxious for the neighbors then air and a compressor running. Also takes up less garage space, it's a great alternative for the DIY'er at home or on the go.... Probably won't ever replace the need for air but it's a great addition.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I didn't understand why an impact was included in the dewalt kit. Seemed like a noisy expensive tool. But now I understand. It stomps a regular drill! Use it for everything. Regular drills feel funny now.