Inside TJ tub lining questions, hurc, durabak etc

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
When sanding the tub, is the idea just to scratch the entire tub? How scratched should it be?

NO SHINE through the sanded stuff and you should be in good shape. You want a "dull" finish as that will let you know that you've 'scratched' well. If it's shiny and you apply the covering, I'd bet it'll pull up in those places.

mbryson

Supporting Member
ah, i got ya so pretty much buff it all with sand paper?

yep, no shiny stuff and you should be good. I like to hit it a couple times with a DA, go over it once more by hand with paper and then hit it again with a red scotchbrite to get things to stick. (basically the same process you'd use on the outside of a vehicle if you weren't going to strip the paint off) With the liner type stuff, I'd be doubly, maybe triply sure not to have any shine through the sanding. That stuff doesn't look like it's easy to do a nice repair, but maybe it's not to bad?

Did you buy an undercoat gun? I'm gonna do mine PDQ and was looking for a gun the other day.

diablokicks

I did buy a gun, but im still unsure about the ability of it, i checked harbor frieght, and didnt find anything that i felt comfortable with. I went to walmart and found a pretty nice looking one that claims to be able to shoot low to high viscosity materials including latex and enamels. Its a Campbell Hausfeld, DH3800

diablokicks

Wnhen you say no shiny, i started sanding, and everything i sand gets covered with a fine poweder of white, do you mean no shiney coming through that?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Wnhen you say no shiny, i started sanding, and everything i sand gets covered with a fine poweder of white, do you mean no shiney coming through that?

exactly

The white is the clear and you're scratching into that. You want some heavy scratches for the heavy coat you're putting on to adhere to. It gives the coating more "grip". The better you sand, the longer your topcoat will last. If you half-@ss it, you'll hate it as your topcoat will peel up.

diablokicks

For anybody who is interested in the steps:
tub1.JPG

tub2.JPG

tub3.JPG

tub4.JPG

When i opened the can it was the consistancy of paint, i did glob it in a couple of places, (only cuz i was in a hurry to spray) but overall im really impressed with the turn out of it, rubbery feel, not harsh on the skin at all.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
i have done duplicolor and hurculiner

the hurc went in the cab of my cherokee and yes it is harsh but nice for traction.

the duplicolor which you can get and car quest is cheaper and has some texture to it but wont tear you open i used it on my sliders,rear bumper and
i also painted my last yota with it can you say 75 dollar paint job oh and it comes in arasole cans to do touch up

and the wrangler tube looks great.

CHILEDOG

I found another called u-pol. its got a raptor on the box. my painter friend recommended it. he sprayed my hard top for me. it looks fantastic and brand new. when i get some time i was gonna do my tub. its 150 at an auto body and paint store. i found it on ebay for !00 and that includes the sprayer.

suisuki

Chrome Won't Get ya' home
Looks Great!

I used one called Hippo-Liner and sprayed it in with a $20 undercoat gun, looks just like a Hi$$$ Rhino liner, you can get it from Keystone auto body supply, I paid ~$100 for a gallon. I've been really happy with it,and its fun to take the pressure washer to the tub of your rig after geting messy.