Interesting idea for EJS 2007

jdub

Scrambler
Sorry, You both have legit points, The author didn't. Very biased. I don't live there, I wouldn't presume to know what impact it has on the local community. I've seen tourist towns where the visitors were no longer welcome due to unkind locals. It hurt. The town is still suffering as far as I know. In other nearby towns the locals left because the tourists took over. I would watch what I said especially if the T shirt sales was currently buyin' those kids Root Beers.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I would NOT agree with that. While "Easter Jeep Week" may produce some ill effects on the land, I personally beleive that "Easter Jeep Safari" ie: the actual RR4W event has nothing but positive effects on the land... YEAR ROUND.

Good information Kurt. I agree that I was incorrect stating that EJS was damaging. I guess I invisioned Easter Jeep Week and EJS as the same thing.

I have nothing but much respect for the RR4W and what they do for the Moab area. I just wish that there was a good solution for bettering the 4x4 image that is easily implementable and effective.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I guess I invisioned Easter Jeep Week and EJS as the same thing...

As many do... I was really elightened on the difference by my hero Jeff Stevens (RR4W and Moab Freinds For Wheeling). You have to realize that the voting members of RR4W had a vote on wether or not to keep their event the same weekend as the event that has for no better description "tagged along" with their 40 (well 24 as RR4W) Jeep Safaris. It was a very close vote as I was told, but they did vote to keep it the same week. There are alot of pros and cons against moving it.... If they did they would be able to disassociate the "bad press" their event gets by the outsiders... On the otherhand its very likely that the positive influence by say more responsible users out on the trail helps to limit the damage that could potentially occur.

Who knows, the timing might change in the future??

I've been going to Moab for Spring Break for 9 years now, and I'll be the first to admit that I had zero clue who RR4W when I was a 16 yr. old, but I've come to appreciate what they do for the area, to the point where I register regardless of whether I even plan to make it out on the trail with them. Things have really changed in the past 5-10 years, there used to be mabey 1/5 of the non-participants that gather that week now. I've posted more educated numbers somewhere but just to put some figures here, but its somewhere around 5 non-participants for every actual EJS participant. And while the actual EJS participant number has actually reduced in the past (somewhere around 1000 participants IIRC) the non-participant effect has grown vastly.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have a challenge for all of you.

While you are all down enjoying yourselves during EJS... stop and pick up some trash when you do see it. Make an impression on everybody else that doesn't. I know many of you already do this, but step it up a notch. Maybe RME should band together for a day and do a massive dispersed trail clean up on one of the last days.

I think it would make a pretty big impact on how clean the trails stay and how many of us are viewed by those who don't participate in our hobby, especially with the attention that week already receives.

I think something like that would be stronger than any words that you can throw at the person who wrote that letter.

They can focus in areas of gatherings (ie:potatosalad hill etc) And have a significant result on the area and maybe it would make some people think twice about littering other places.... its better than taxing everyone

WE need to focus on that through volunteering our time. The OHV community needs to be policing itself if we want to keep anything open and fight the stereotypes of that letter.

I challenge a U4WDA club or clubs to organize daily cleanup groups at potato salad hill.

I agree 100% with crusieroutfit. EJS brings in more than 1/3 of the annual income for most businesses in town. RR4W is awesome.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
All people have to do is speak up, If you see someone throw trash on the ground say something to them. If they get offended thats their problem they will think twice next time I'm sure. I know we always pick garbage on the trail when we go out.

AMEN

I have always carried a trash bag in the Scout on the Safari and I bet most people do. If you see some trash......pick it up. If you see some trash leaving some trash....let them know about it and if they still leave it....pick it up. All it will take is a little effort from everyone and the trails will look like they did the week before the safari.

As far as the toll.........I think its a dumb idea. However if the city counsel voted and decided it would help I wouldnt complain to pay it. That would just be 10 bucks less that I spend at the t shirt shop.

The people who are littering are the same people who would do everything in their power to get into the city without paying the toll anyway. All the toll would be is a band aid. I say we nip the problem in the butt.

This should be the rule for all wheeling trips. Not just a special exception for Moab during EJS.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Maybe they should deputize some of the people who feel strongly (the guy/girl who came up wit the toll idea) and let them hand out littering tickets

They probably wouldnt' do it, and still complain about it being a problem. Some people just like to b*tch. If you take away their one issue, they'll find another.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I have a challenge for all of you.

While you are all down enjoying yourselves during EJS... stop and pick up some trash when you do see it. Make an impression on everybody else that doesn't. I know many of you already do this, but step it up a notch. Maybe RME should band together for a day and do a massive dispersed trail clean up on one of the last days.

I think it would make a pretty big impact on how clean the trails stay and how many of us are viewed by those who don't participate in our hobby, especially with the attention that week already receives.

I think something like that would be stronger than any words that you can throw at the person who wrote that letter.

I agree. I think that if the trails are clean, most people wouldn't be inclined to throw yet another piece of garbage out there. But there are some that just flat don't care, and others that do it by mistake (hop on an obstacle and a can flys out). I also think that they do a dang good job as it is, for as many people are on the trails during this time. People like this guy see a couple of cans laying around and think we're all terrible, even though those were probably left by someone even before the event. Point being, it's the event that ticks him off, not so much the garbage being left.

Like you guys say, RR4W do a great job each year with this event, getting it ready, running it and cleaning up afterwards. Maybe the last guy in their group can make sure there is no trash left as they make their way through. I couldn't imagine that they woudn't be doing it already though...

allterrain

AllTerrain
If you look at the history of EJS it started out as a family/club event that has grown into a circus today. The only reason to go out to arena used to be to get your packet, see a few 33" tires and winches and eat the Boy Scout BBQ.
Now it's a HUGE aftermarket vendor show.

In my opinion, the Spring Break crowd is what has turned it into the mess so many of us hate today. 2 years ago my wife and 3 kids got flashed by 2 girls in the back of a pickup while pulling out of Moab Diner. They were holding a sign that said "show us your boobs". We had been to EJS as a family for years and that was probably the last time we will go into town during EJS as a fam for awhile. We camp at Arches now and stay away.
The number of nonregistered rigs on the trails goes up every year and also overwhelms the town- if you don't have a room NOW you may be out of luck.

The media coverage and just the way our sport has accelerated in recent years also plays a part.
I agree that U4 and some individual clubs could launch a cleanup similar to the Public Lands day and it would be awesome. Maybe a vendor could could put up prizes for the most trail trash brought to the U4 booth or something...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
In my opinion, the Spring Break crowd is what has turned it into the mess so many of us hate today.

This is my opinion as well.

This is the crowd that gets lumped in with those of us who go down to enjoy the 4 wheeling and events. We get blaimed for their trash and ignorance.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
This is my opinion as well.

This is the crowd that gets lumped in with those of us who go down to enjoy the 4 wheeling and events. We get blaimed for their trash and ignorance.

I realize they probably schedule it for that time so others can make it. But why not schedule it at a different time, and those that really want to be there, will be. I heard from several people that went last year and said it was nothing like years previous - even made me wish I was there for once.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I realize they probably schedule it for that time so others can make it. But why not schedule it at a different time, and those that really want to be there, will be. I heard from several people that went last year and said it was nothing like years previous - even made me wish I was there for once.

As I mentioned earlier it was a very close vote on the date change, but they elected to keep it the same date as it has been. Pros and Cons both ways...

I would agree that the last couple years have noticably slowed down (a good thing) as far as the "wild" aspect of things. I think the closure of the free camping near Lions Back as well as the increased law enforcement has turned some away for the weekend.

I would NOT agree with that. While "Easter Jeep Week" may produce some ill effects on the land, I personally beleive that "Easter Jeep Safari" ie: the actual RR4W event has nothing but positive effects on the land... YEAR ROUND.

I generally agree with Kurt. What I wouldn't mind is a little more enforcement from rangers, and a little stiffer fines or penalties for breaking the law year round. Then use the money to improve and repair after folks who aren't treading lightly. The only place I have seen stepped up enforcment over the last 10 years is on Hell's Revenge - I personally think it has been a good thing.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Many years ago, Little Sahara was the "party place" for easter weekend ... then it seems Uba lake (spell?) was the wild party place for easter ...

Any of you old guys remember going to Widow Maker hill climbs when they were held at Draper? Towards the end, wild drunken brawls ...

It was all about drinking/drugging and getting wild ... Nothing like these kind of events to sour the situation for the true sportsers.

Houndoc

The real issue here is the guy hates off-roaders. Period (check him for SUWA membership). Heck, he complains of "stupid tourists asking for t-shirt after t-shirt", but I shop owners want to show and sell t-shirts, that is how they make a living.

His complaints about litter (which I am sure can be a problem, their are idiots everywhere) is just an excuse to whine.

Those who attend do pay....food, gas, hotels etc. Thus a toll is being paid already. If he doesn't like tourists, he should not have moved to a tourism-based city.

But, a post event clean-up would be a good idea.

chadr

If you want to charge to go to Easter Jeep Safari, have part of the registration money (even if the cost went up slightly) to purchase a trash bag that can be brought along with every vehicle that registers. This would be given out with every registration packet and each trail leader would have a chance to remind and have a clean up period along the trail while waiting for someone to clear an obstacle.

Make it part of a cleanup day or something, but I don't think it has to be a fee for everyone that passed through town on that day.

Just my 0.02

allterrain

AllTerrain
All good points. St. George was also a hot Spring Break location a few years back until law enforcement cracked down. From the latest trend I am hearing, I guess if you can avoid Friday and Big Saturday it can still be a good experience in Moab.