Irok question

I have yet to see an IROK work, I wouldn't waist my money on them.
That's a funny statement, because the only way you'll see if Irok's work or not is if you GO WHEELING. :p

Here's my 2 cents: We went from some uber amazing TSL SX's that I was head over heels in love with to the 39.5 Iroks. We have two trips to our credit with the Iroks and I thoroughly enjoy them. As yellowbronco stated, we do run them "backwards" and I have yet to see an instance where they didn't "hook" up or something and the SX's would have. Now, before the peanut gallery mentions the fact that I probably can't remember how the SX's did with tread on them, let me point out that I do remember because they consistently rocked my world! :) Why do you think we wheeled the snot out of them? ;) Moral of my story: SX's are wonderful, but if you want a bigger tire, the Irok will do you just fine. I haven't spent enough time with them yet to say that I'm passionate for them, but I can confidently say, I'm getting there! :tara:

Also, remember that opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one! :hickey:

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
ask around, there are some competitors selling used stickies for cheap, as well as 37" mickey thompson stickies as well.

oh and when you can make it up that vert that no one else can it is better than 100 bjs

Unless you have never had one??? Nothing is better than a 100 BJ's!!!!!!! :rofl:

toys4rocks

That's a funny statement, because the only way you'll see if Irok's work or not is if you GO WHEELING. :p

Here's my 2 cents: We went from some uber amazing TSL SX's that I was head over heels in love with to the 39.5 Iroks. We have two trips to our credit with the Iroks and I thoroughly enjoy them. As yellowbronco stated, we do run them "backwards" and I have yet to see an instance where they didn't "hook" up or something and the SX's would have. Now, before the peanut gallery mentions the fact that I probably can't remember how the SX's did with tread on them, let me point out that I do remember because they consistently rocked my world! :) Why do you think we wheeled the snot out of them? ;) Moral of my story: SX's are wonderful, but if you want a bigger tire, the Irok will do you just fine. I haven't spent enough time with them yet to say that I'm passionate for them, but I can confidently say, I'm getting there! :tara:

I have an a.. I mean opinion too, I am just trying to set my mind on a tire and have heard almost a 50% yes and no on the Iroks.

I am leaning towards them though.

d-stumph

Don't Run Me Over Again!!
Unless you have never had one??? Nothing is better than a 100 BJ's!!!!!!! :rofl:

it all depends on the addiction, a bj is easy to get and relatively cheap if there are no commitments. driving the waterfall at the end of upper helldorado or the matterhon in slc, or the wall in cedar city are very hard accomplishments and come far less often than a bj, and to me they are far more rewarding because the ejoyment and bragging rights last a lot longer(feels good for years) than the bjs would(ready ten minuets later for another one)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out

Your SX's were bald, bald as Chris's chest. You can't even compare the two.

ps, I wheel, sometimes... :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
From my point of view: Get them and run the tread backwards.

I wheel with 2 different rigs that have the same Iroks, and they both are very different rigs (Tanners buggy & Chris & Tara's Lemon Joy). I've actually been impressed with how well they've been working on these rigs, especially seeing first hand how Iroks had problems hooking up in the rocks on other rigs. The ONLY difference is that the directional tread was backwards on the tires that were hooking up very well.

I know it sounds like BS, but that's my eye witness account. ;)

And if you still have problems, there is always the Irok Recovery Maneuver.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm one of the "doesn't like IROK's" guys, but I'll say this: Bang for the buck, they're probably the best out there. Not because they're great, but because they're cheap for pretty decent-ish tires. You can definitely get better tires, but you're going to pay twice as much for a similar size tire.

Meat_

Banned
So??? Bias TSL's? Meat, how did you like yours? Your rig was heavier than mine, but with a 4.3, TH350, and 60's going in. I am gaining some weight.

I have SXs and I love them. If I'm ever rich enough they could get replaced by Creepys, Krawlers or Trepadors. But since I never will be rich it's SXs or TSLs if the 42" SXs don't make it out in time.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
FWIW, you can now get the 42s in their "competition" compound. Those may be tolerable. If money were an issue, I would choose some siped TSLs over an IROK any day.

BTW, I actually used to run interco tires. They were M&H racemasters though:greg:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Since I can't afford Creepys, I will be running SX's.

Meat, Herzog, MBryson, the bald balloons of Yellowbronco, Shawn's FJuggy.... and Craig Stumph's Commando all make me suspect that they might work a little bit. :D

But really it's the sidewalls. I like the idea of tough sidewalls. :D :D

toys4rocks

Since I can't afford Creepys, I will be running SX's.

Meat, Herzog, MBryson, the bald balloons of Yellowbronco, Shawn's FJuggy.... and Craig Stumph's Commando all make me suspect that they might work a little bit. :D

But really it's the sidewalls. I like the idea of tough sidewalls. :D :D

D@mn! Every time I think I get to a decision, somebody posts something like this. Now I am re-debating!!

toys4rocks

OK, if I go with a 42 Super swamper. Will 5.13's a 4.3 with a TH350 and toyota duals (stock gears) be enough?

Caleb

OK, if I go with a 42 Super swamper. Will 5.13's a 4.3 with a TH350 and toyota duals (stock gears) be enough?
maybe, it really depends. Will it work, sure, could it be better...heck yeah. I had a healthy 4.3, TH350, 203/205 doubler, with 4.10 gears and really wanted more oomph with my light 39.5 Iroks. With a heavy 42" swamper, I think you may be disappointed. But maybe not coming from a Toy ;)

toys4rocks

With 5.29's, duals, a manual, and 36s, my toy never lacked anything power wise. I am worried about the auto and 42's.

tagaustatoppen

1997 TJ
From my point of view: Get them and run the tread backwards.

I wheel with 2 different rigs that have the same Iroks, and they both are very different rigs (Tanners buggy & Chris & Tara's Lemon Joy). I've actually been impressed with how well they've been working on these rigs, especially seeing first hand how Iroks had problems hooking up in the rocks on other rigs. The ONLY difference is that the directional tread was backwards on the tires that were hooking up very well.

I know it sounds like BS, but that's my eye witness account. ;)

And if you still have problems, there is always the Irok Recovery Maneuver.

That looks like me driving that time!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Before I ran iroks I ran the tsl swamper and the bogger. Both tires I ripped holes in the sidewalls. I had a lot more confidence in the sidewalls of the iroks. It could be that they had a higher load rating making them feel tougher. I noticed the 17's come in a ten ply.