Is a 10 gal co2 tank worth it ??????

TROKITA

Is a 10# co2 tank worth it ??????

I dont know if i should buy one, ive been reading and suppose ably you can fill up to 20 tires before empty. and the other thing is paying to fill it up again, witch would be under 20 buck finding the right place for cheaper prices. is it worth it ?????? also i have a friend that is willing to sell me his co2 tank for $150, its a power tank.

Last edited:

SpeedyVic

I have a 20# CO2 tank that I put together several years ago. Aluminum tank, fixed reg, and hose cost me less than $150, but that was a long time ago. Even if I had an onboard compressor (which I don't) I wouldn't hit a trail without my CO2 tank.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
With CO2, it's all about the regulator and that's most of the cost of the system. The one Power Tank uses is pretty damn awesome. I get mine refilled at AirGas in SLC.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I would think a 10 gallon tank would fill, like, a thousand tires. Might be cumbersome to transport though.

My 20# has served me well. I put it together for under $100 and it lasts a long time. In the offseason it dispenses lots of beer.

that being said, I think I'd like to do onboard air in the future. I get tired of moving the tank around. It's steel, so it's kind of heavy.

TROKITA

Nice well this is just a 10 gallon witch is not too bad. I'm only going to be using it when I hit the trails. And just too fill up the tires after :) might get it this weekend. Ill keep it updated.
More experience in this is well appreciated :D

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
did you see mine on my Jeep on Saturday. Pretty useful when you need it. Easy to pack around. Power Tanks are a nice step up from home brew. I have both. Worth the money in my book...

My favorite use was putting tire beads back on before I got beadlocks...

TROKITA

did you see mine on my Jeep on Saturday. Pretty useful when you need it. Easy to pack around. Power Tanks are a nice step up from home brew. I have both. Worth the money in my book...

My favorite use was putting tire beads back on before I got beadlocks...
i forgot what jeep was your but i did see a power tank in a jeep cant remember what one

jentzschman

I want one so bad. I will be going that way when I get around to keeping portable air with me. Having seen them in action, they are SO much faster then compressor, well the under 90 dollar compressors.

Rock Taco

I have a 10# power tank and I can fill my 285/75/16s 4 to 5 trips from 8 to 32 lbs. In California is usually cost 35 dollars to fill. Check the last tank certification date. I had to re-certify mine it cost about 20 bucks to bring it current.

On my crawler I have an arb compressor and a storage tank but I still plan on carrying my power tank for tires or even air tools.

Team1k

Side question here about the tanks. i know now days there is a big fad of putting nitrogen in your tires with it being so stable and resistant to temp changes. My only real experience with co2 is paintball and soda fountain machines. So with that state of mind i remember co2 being very sensitive to temperature changes. Paintballers have probably all experienced shooting snowflakes out their barrels when using co2. Thats why i went with an air tank for paintball.

I do realize though that your not repeatedly letting some air out of the tank like you do with a paintball gun but isnt the principle the same? you air up a couple tires in the winter and youll get liquid co2 coming out?

Just curious.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I am interested in this as well, I have wanted one for a while now. But I keep going back and forth on a CO2 tank and on board air...

Team1k

I have gotten ice on my hose and fittings but its never stopped working because of it.

Hmm yeah i wonder about what the potential of having liquid co2 enter the inside of the tire and causing damage would be. Probably not a huge deal or more people would be complaining.

TROKITA

nice :) all these comments are awesome :) thats it im getting one :) might not use it til spring or something like that but owell :) at least ill have it. ive been needing an on board air this pass few months but didnt have the money to shop around, also another reason i havent looked into a CO2 tank is because, i told some guys i went trailing with, if co2 was good ??? but they said it really wasnt that great, it was better to just get an on board compressor, but there were up there in price aswell.
and another thing, ive used someone's ARB dual compressor that really expensive one, and too be honest, i dont know if i was doing it wrong or what. but it took me like 20 mins or more to fill up my tires from 15PSI to 30PSI. but it was nice to fill up anyway :) hopefully by this weekend i get my CO2 tank :D