Official Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me?

Max Power

Bryce
That is why I take mine off in the winter. I am not much of a winter camper so it does not bother me. Could you setup a small electric heater in it to dry it out faster?

sixstringsteve

I imagine that'd be possible, but it may not end up thawing it all out enough. I'm open to suggestions though. It shouldn't be much of an issue if the temps stay below freezing, but once they do get above freezing, I'll need to dry it out asap. Either that or I find someone with a big heated garage where I can open it and let it dry out for a bit.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You shouldn't see so much condensation when the temps are warmer, warm weather camping you will see none. Are you making sure to open the vents at the top of the tent? They should kinda auto-open but can use a little help. I've not ever had to open my tent when home because of condensation but absolutely have for typical rainy weather. Fully understand the pain if its your sole driver, I have a curse of a few vehicles around my place :D

sixstringsteve

Yup, I remembered to open the vents with the velcro piece. In fact, we had the window by our head entirely open, and we cracked the side windows too. Even then we had quite a bit of icy condensation, but it was 18 degrees and we were in the tent for 11+ hours. I think the solution to the problem is to get a nice heated shop. :D

All joking aside, I do miss being able to drape my dewy rainfly, tent, and tarp over the banisters and let them air out in the house. It looks like the rainfly of my Simpson III is removable, but I'd rather not deal with the hassle of removing it and reinstalling it later. Besides, the rainfly isn't the only part of the tent with condensation on it, so I'll have to wait for warmer weather to dry it out anyway. Not a deal-breaker, but I thought it was worth mentioning in this thread.

I don't mean to sound like a complainer, we're really enjoying the RTT. It's fun, it feels like I'm a kid in a treehouse. :) The pad is a tiny bit firm, but I like that I can't feel anything poking through it, and it seems to keep us pretty warm. We've been throwing a blanket between our sleeping bag and the pad since the nylon can get a bit chilly, and that has helped quite a bit. I'm looking forward to trying it out in warmer wather, though I imagine I'll still run into the same issue when it gets drenched from rain.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I have been thinking about a RTT for my F150. My question is does anyone know if a Thule Xsportster would hold a RTT. The capacity is 450lbs. Based on the weight of the tent and 2 adults, it may be pushing it. My next issue is I need to know how high the Xsportster will raise to. I want to be able to fit my WR450 under it.

theferg

DD for Life
I've seen the xsporter used a few times on pickups for an RTT and it looks like a great option IMHO, albeit a bit on the pricey side. But I have no idea how tall they raise up. Is a wr450 a motorbike? I'm thinking they might not go high enough for a bike...but only one way to find out--measure everything (or just try it heh....)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
x2 on the Xsportster, lots of people using them with RTT's. I'm sure Thule publishes their height specs, add that to your bed side height and minus the bike... would be neat if it fit.

pennieslj

It is what it is.
I have been thinking about a RTT for my F150. My question is does anyone know if a Thule Xsportster would hold a RTT. The capacity is 450lbs. Based on the weight of the tent and 2 adults, it may be pushing it. My next issue is I need to know how high the Xsportster will raise to. I want to be able to fit my WR450 under it.

The Xsportster works great for a RTT. On the lowest setting my tent is about the same height as my cab, on the highest the bottom of the tent is about 6 inches higher than the cab.
P5053021.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Is the 450# rating active load (as in driving). If so, then you should be fine for a static load. unless .. ( insert conjugal visit joke here) ..

sixstringsteve

I had a question about a certain scenario.

Let's say you're doing a 4-day trip through the backcountry and it rains every day. When you pack up your tent, wouldn't the pad, bedding, and inside of the tent get wet when you fold it all up for the day? Not that we have to worry about that too much here in Utah, but I was curious.

sixstringsteve

Let's say you're doing a 4-day trip through the backcountry and it rains every day. When you pack up your tent, wouldn't the pad, bedding, and inside of the tent get wet when you fold it all up for the day? Not that we have to worry about that too much here in Utah, but I was curious.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

I'd probably pull out my sleeping bag and pillow but assuming they are wedged between the mattress, it would have to be an extremely significant amount of water to soak through the mattress, like far more than would realistically be on the tent. I've had to put my tent away wet on many occasions, I just shake it off as best I can, brush it off and fold it up. Set it up that night and let it air out if its not still raining or just let it keep getting wet if it is I've never had my mattress be soaked?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The first night I had my rrt out it started to rain which turned into a downpour along with wind it lasted all night and throughout the next day. I threw a big tarp over the tent and I stayed dry the whole time. The next morning (still pouring rain) I removed the tarp careful to not dump water all over the tent then folded the tent up as quick as I could. No problem.

A newer tent like yours is much better built than mine was but I'd still recommend a big tarp just in case the rain gets crazy :D

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

does anyone know of a comparison between the ARB Simpson III, ARB Pilbara, and the ARB Kakadu tents?

I like the bigger windows and softer, lighter sleeping pad of the Kakadu, but I wonder how it'll be in higher wind situations or in the snow/rain.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
anyone have experience with the tepui tents? they look like a u.s. knock of of the arb. one thing I noticed that I would love is the solid base annex bottom. the price is good since it comes with the annex.

theferg

DD for Life
Lewis, FWIW, I got a buddy thats been running the Tepui Kukenam for a year now. Im shopping around for a tent right now (to put on my new tent rack... ;) ) so ive been asking him how his has been and he says its been great. He prob has spent every third weekend in it or more and its held up great. He had an initial isssue with the ladder...I forget what it was...but he called them up and they quickly made it right.

He roams around here now and then...I'll see if he can stop by this thread.

If you're lookin at the Tepui tents, another one that seems to be identical to the Tepui is the CVT tents. I've been looking hard at both of these for the past week or so. (BTW, there just so happens to be a group buy going on for the CVTs on ExpeditionPortal/TacomaWorld )

-Ferg

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Anybody got any experience with the Autohome Columbus? It's damn pricey, but I'm really liking the overall concept. I think someone on here had one, Moody maybe?

MOODY

Bald Guy
I had a Columbus Large and a Maggiolina medium. I really liked the Coulmbus.
I wouldn't ever get a soft sided RTT again ( I had an arb and eezi awn).