Is it me or....

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
or is this an attempt by Chrysler to appease the masses of Jeep owners put off by the disappearance of the Cherokee. Or, is it a legitimate upgrade from the Grand Cherokee??

Linky

0859579j2006_011.jpg

jeep-cherokee-xj.jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
a. That's fugly. I mean, really fugly.
b. There are legions of folks who will never forgive Chryco for killing the Cherokee.
c. There are legions of folks who will never forgive Chryco for replacing the Cherokee w/the Liberty, and replacing the Grand with the new Grand Pacifica.
d. GOD THAT IS UGLY!!

I don't know. The sides aren't too bad I guess, but that front end? no no no.

it's like everyone forgot how to design things.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think the designers have forgotten what 'Jeep' or (SUV for that matter) really is. It's NOT a status symbol or whatnot. They are UTILITARIAN (notice the "UTILITY" in SUV). To me this means that they should build as durable of a vehicle as possible that can be modified by it's owners to fit any number of needs.

That is a much better step than the Liberty or WK, but I'm sure it'll be rediculously priced, have leather as a 'standard' option, 12 heater A/C widgets, latte machine, 6 TV's, DVD, Satellite radio, On-Star competitor/Navigation system, 20" wheel option ('Z' rated tires for the 'fast' SUV drivers that think it's a Corvette), a D35, and the magazines will not like it because it doesn't have rear independant suspension. What's list for that POS? $45K? I want a capable (read real-life TOWING, hauling kids, junk from Home Depot, etc.), basic, simple, functional 4WD that I can fix with duct tape, zip ties and baling wire (if I have to).

That's why I bought my first Jeep (a ZJ). Inline 6 without 673 sensors and actuators, utility functions, somewhat capable and had a fairly reliable reputation. Now I've got more kids, different towing/hauling needs-desires and NO manufacturer makes anything close to what I want. The closest thing is an Excursion (see the aforementioned issue with $45K as to why I don't want to buy one of those) and they've got their F*rd issues.

Oh, and I HATE the styling. The boxy look is kinda close, but that front end HAS to go. {why not the 'Rescue' on a 3/4 ton truck frame? with optional Cummins?}

{rant off}

....Oh, but it's 'Trail Rated'.......I'll take one :rolleyes:. Oh, I just read the specs from the 'press release', it's just a rebodied WK. I thought it might be 'full size' on a 'new' platform.......

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
That thing is right up there with one of the ugliest vehicles ever...right there with the buick rendezvous.....and yes, I thought it was cherokee-esk but damn...that thing is sad.

If it doesn't have 4 corner indy suspension....I will be surprised.

81Ramchargerman

Boy am I glad I don't drive a Jeep...I might actually be mad...I'm just kiddin, that thing is seriously sooo fugly it's not even funny. I hate to say it, but more likely than not, the old true sport UTILITY vehicles of the past will never return...at least not in a bugdet minded person's view. Just like the fade of muscle cars, full steel bodies, etc., etc., (could go on forever), I fear that a true suv is also on it's way out also. You can see how they tried to bring back the looks of older jeeps, but to no avail...It truly is a sad thing. :-\

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Oh, and I HATE the styling. The boxy look is kinda close, but that front end HAS to go. {why not the 'Rescue' on a 3/4 ton truck frame? with optional Cummins?}

I would mortgage my house for the Rescue, and probably sell some of my rigs too. WHY AREN"T THEY MAKING THAT??????

Older Suburbans used to sort of fit the bill, but something like a straight axle Tahoe would rock! Or a fullsize Wagoneer, with a diesel. Is that too much to ask? I had to ditch the XJ because it was too small, and my oldest child is not even 4. That's WRONG! And the Liberte! (French spelling because it's RIGHT) has a sort of comfy fit but no cargo space, and useless IFS.

Ford Prefect

HAHAHA Yall are funny!:rofl:

Everytime Jeep does something SOMEONE has to say "I think the designers have forgotten what 'Jeep' or (SUV for that matter) really is."

It is sad really. Geez guys, jeep is a company to make money.

Everyone hated the YJ said things like leave it to chryslter to put a sway bar on anything, -_- yet my 84 cj7 had one on it.

Then it was the ZJ, coils:-\ , no way, well, at least it is not on their off road vehicle.
Then the TJ... Coils? :ugh: wait, how are we supposed to wheel that thing! This could end jeep as a company. What are they thinking!

KJ IFS? No way, that will never work. Plus they ended the XJ!! :eek:

RUBI? With STOCK lockers, and a 4:1? Nah, that will suck, I am sure that the thing will be worthless off road, and the lockers are not even arb so they will most certainly break in a week of daily driveing action.

Next comes the new GC, what is it called, a WK? IFS on a grand? NO, that will ruin it! ( jeep which has been shown to be good at wheeling, even with the coils, people did not want the IFS) Yet everyone says WOW but you can get a hemmi in it? Oh, well, maybe then...

Geezz people. It is a jeep, sure, but ultimately to the VAST majority of americans, it is a CAR. So get over it, looks like a nice enough vehicle, and everyone and their mother have made a vehicle that looks like this basic body style, so why would you think that jeep would not?

Man, get over it here folks.

I am a CJ owner, and proud of it! I would be happy to own any of the jeeps that have come out (except the newest grand because I DO NOT FIT IN IT, but that is a different story)

Move on, get over it. GO complain about something else.

:D

Good day all!

Brian :)

81Ramchargerman

The back of the cab folds down and it creats room up to the fron seats.??? I am almost positive, I saw this somewhere and I think it was this truck but I am not for sure.

Houndoc

So its ugly, didn't think off-roading was a beuaty contest!

I also find it interesting that all the "new" ideas that are going to kill the SUV seem to work well (see 4x4 of the year reviews in (i think) four wheeler on the LR3 and Taureg)- IFS even giving way to four wheel independant- evil all the way around. Granted, they need to get the price down by $20-30k, but what the scrud.

Times they be a changin'

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I guess that I'm going to be one of the few here, but I don't think that it looks half bad. Yeah, its not the Cherokee (but everyone hated that to begin with too), but its not a bad look for them. Yeah its got IFS, but you know what? So do Toyota's. What do we do with those? Cut off the IFS and put a solid axle under it! But what do I know, I drive a Samurai.

Ford Prefect

Any word on the cost of this thing?

I think I am starting to like it the more I read. Seems like the perfect size for what I want, and with that hemi it sould pull my CJ just fine... :D