• Rockcrawling is a Sport.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Rockcrawling is a Hobby.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • It is both a sport and a Hobby.

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters

stp189

I am not saying that taking the G-force that those guys take is easy, but it is more of an conditioned activity than a sport. I still give drivers credit for doing something that is very difficult but I aslo think there has to be a line between a sport as entertainment and an activity as entertainment.

skulltoy

Trailer's Rockin!
Originally posted by stp189
Things like NASCAR and motorsports are more like a game, (Bowling, Rodeo, Golf ...). I think a sport requires some kind of physical strength and ability and in no way can there be any kind of human judging involved.

Rockcrawling therefor falls into the list of hobbys. But what a groovy hobby it is.

So you think that olympic diving, or gymnastics are also not sports, because there is "human judging involved"?

Come pull on a strap sometime and tell me it's not a sport!

grinch

inner city redneck
If you say spotting is not a physical activity like foot ball, basket ball, ect. your wrong..... Try spotting for Steve Montgumery in a competiiton weekend.... Well itleast 4 or 5 obsticles before he rolls and breaks... Its one hell of a workout.

S

sukaB

Besides spotting try driving as well...
Mental and physical..
You ever rolled over VIOLENTLY....
Have you ever fixed a broken front shaft in seven minutes...
Changed broken ring and pinion in 30 minutes....
Weld upside down in 105 degree weather,no gloves, shorts and t-shirt...
yah that sounds like bowling to me eehh....
Ye O little faith..
Was that you on the Golf course today....

stp189

To me there has always been something wrong with an activity where it matters how well I do depending on how well a judge likes the color of my shorts or how my hair is done.

I think the word Sport is used a little lightly. I think Andy hit it on the head. These activities are for RECREATION and RELAXIATION. There for sure is a lot of stress related with it but last time I checked, you don't have to be in any kind of physicial shape to get over Golden Crack. It surely takes some DRIVING skill but I am sure physically you don't have to be on the top of your game.

I have come to the conclusion that the people who think Rockcrawling is a sport are the people who have never competed in a sport in a controlled competitive nature weither it be in High School or College. But I guess it's not there fault because they know no different.

But that is cool and all you can weld with out cover. Feels good after aye.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
To me there has always been something wrong with an activity where it matters how well I do depending on how well a judge likes the color of my shorts or how my hair is done.
And I've never met a judge at a rock crawl that would do that. You're thinking American Idol, and thats not a sport.

stp189

Originally posted by grinch
If you say spotting is not a physical activity like foot ball, basket ball, ect. your wrong..... Try spotting for Steve Montgumery in a competiiton weekend.... Well itleast 4 or 5 obsticles before he rolls and breaks... Its one hell of a workout.

So how often do you practice spotting?

stp189

Originally posted by SRN

And I've never met a judge at a rock crawl that would do that. You're thinking American Idol, and thats not a sport.

Just a couple of years ago at this small get to gether called the Olympics I do belive there was some small countroversy with figure skating and how some people didn't get the gold because of where they were from.

Yea it never happens.

S

sukaB

That's not how it works out there...
Have you ever been to a comp.....?

By the Damn way:
When your Canadian the world is always against you....
Damn mullets....
Canucks are good hockey players....But that's a hobby as well...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Just a couple of years ago at this small get to gether called the Olympics I do belive there was some small countroversy with figure skating and how some people didn't get the gold because of where they were from.

Yea it never happens.
I don't think you've ever been to a rockcrawling event. Its a point based system based on time, similar to SCCA Solo II (Autocross). Its not really judged the way figure skating is, judges are simply there to make sure rules are followed, like an umpire in baseball. And all Olympic events are rigged, thats been a well known fact for decades. It's all politics.

stp189

And all Olympic events are rigged, thats been a well known fact for decades. It's all politics. [/B][/QUOTE]

All Olympic events are not rigged. How can you rig a 40m dash? How can you rig a pin? Politics are in every fiber of our society. It is impossable to get away from. Are you telling me there are no politics in rockcrawling compititions or is it some kind of utopia?

With rockcrawling, there are to many determinating factors with in the event that strick it from the "sport" catagory. It doesn't take anything away from the event. It's still a great way to pass time. All sports are entertainment. Motor sports are just different that physical sports. They should not be put in the same catergory.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
How can you rig a 40m dash? How can you rig a pin?
Steroids, not 'randomly' testing certain people.

Politics are in every fiber of our society. It is impossable to get away from. Are you telling me there are no politics in rockcrawling compititions or is it some kind of utopia?
Yes, rockcrawling is utopia. :D As of right now, there are not as many politics as other sports.

With rockcrawling, there are to many determinating factors with in the event that strick it from the "sport" catagory. It doesn't take anything away from the event. It's still a great way to pass time. All sports are entertainment. Motor sports are just different that physical sports. They should not be put in the same catergory.
So you're saying that motorsports aren't physical? Again, be a spotter for a day, or go drive an F1 car and tell me thats not physical. F1 drivers (most race drivers in fact) train constantly to be in the physical condition that is necissary to handle those cars at those speeds for that period of time. Yes, rockcrawling may not be as physically challanging for the driver as certain 'traditional' sports, but it is in every way physical. By your definition, chess is apperently more physically challanging than rockcrawling, seeing as that has been considered a 'sport' for years. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just pointing out the flaws in your argument. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just be aware that many people may disagree with them.

Caleb

I have come to the conclusion that the people who think Rockcrawling is a sport are the people who have never competed in a sport in a controlled competitive nature weither it be in High School or College. But I guess it's not there fault because they know no different.

Well, you couldn't be more wrong with this statement...I wrestled in Junior High for two years at a high school level and took district both years...I was also the Varsity Team Captain for the High School soccer team all fours years I played...yes I was VERY athletic in junior high and high school (I played basketball, ran track, played soccer, played volleyball, and wrestled all on school teams) I was offered a full ride to several schools for soccer from all over the country including Brown U in RI. I was young and dumb and didn't take any of them....I think rockcrawlig is a sport on a competitive stand point, talk to any of the guys that are top competitors and they will tell you that they do "practice" spotting AND driving...they do things from just regular workouts to in field practice just like any of the other the sports you can think of...

SPORT is descibed by websters dictionary as: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

tell me that rockcrawling is not physical and it obviously has rules and well, the rules are used in competitions so I would have to say by deffinition Competitive rockcrawling is a sport...

I do think that it can be a hobby too but most the time when you are out with your buddys kickin back you aren;t JUSt rockcrawling...you are doing a trail and I wouldn;t classify that as rockcrawling I would say that is just plain ol'e 4wheelin...two different things IMO;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Rockcrawling is a life. But it's also a sport, just like NASCAR is a sport. Oh, and I had a very competitive career in high school.... glee club
thefinger.gif

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member

Are you talking about competitive rock crawling when you speak of judges this way? I think I can speak for all of the judges in competitive rock crawling when I say this remark is extremely offensive. I think if you ask any of the guys who compete, they will say that the judging (esp. UROC) is very fair. It makes me wonder if you have attended an event and really watched the judges in action.

I think the word Sport is used a little lightly. I think Andy hit it on the head. These activities are for RECREATION and RELAXIATION. There for sure is a lot of stress related with it but last time I checked, you don't have to be in any kind of physicial shape to get over Golden Crack. It surely takes some DRIVING skill but I am sure physically you don't have to be on the top of your game.

I agree that it is great for recreation and relaxation, but lets consult Webster's...
There is two listings for sport in my dictionary:
First: sport (verb):
1.a: To amuse oneself frolic
1.b: To engage in a sport
2.a: To mock or ridicule something
2.b: to speak or act in jest: Trifle
a few others, but I'll save typing since they don't relate
Second: sport (noun):
1.a: A source of diversion RECREATION
1.b: sexual play
1.c.1: physical activity engaged in for pleasure
1.c.2: a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
2.a: Pleasantry, Jest
2.b: often mean-spirited jesting: mockery, derision
3.a: something tossed or driven about in or as if in play

hmmmm, according to webster's you could call rockcrawling a sport....

So, I guess rockclimbing (or mountain climbing) is not a sport......whitewater kayaking is not a sport........bicycling (mt or road) is not a sport.....need I name a few more that plenty of people are into, but perhaps never competed in? If you think the only sports are those that you do as a team in a direct competitive environment (football, soccor, baseball, etc.) you're not seeing the whole picture.

do I need to say it again.......MOTOR Sport!!

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I have come to the conclusion that the people who think Rockcrawling is a sport are the people who have never competed in a sport in a controlled competitive nature weither it be in High School or College. But I guess it's not there fault because they know no different....

Your conclusion is lame to say the least... I have competed in many different sports on many different competition levels.. recreation, tournements, state championships. :rolleyes: and i consider "competative" rockcrawling an sport!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

So how often do you practice spotting?

A lost of teams practice on a regular basis... as in any other SPORT.... comunication between team members is of hign importance. BTW I missed your intro...what was your name?