is this dumb? (caddy as tow rig question)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm curious what you guys think of this. In the next little bit I'd like to start looking at picking up another buggy of some sort--probably a light toy-based buggy of some sort to thrash with. I don't have a tow rig though, nor do I envision towing more than 5-6 times per year to go wheelin in this thing.

I also REALLY want to pick up an old 60's era Caddy. I know the 68's and others around that year have the 472 big block, which according to a good friend who works on old cars is a pretty good motor and easily built. It would be bagged of course too.

My question: Would this gigantic, whale of a car with a big block and bags be able to safely tow a 6000# trailer? 130 WB, 4600# curb weight etc.

My original thought is no, but the motor has the power, the car is as long as a 3/4 truck, and has a pretty stout rear axle. Is this maybe not too far fetched? Maybe some load range D tires and box the frame (or is it boxed?), gear the rear axle?

Is this completely silly?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The answer is "probably, yeah". :D I don't think it's crazy at all, and think you should do it. People used to tow big campers and stuff with cars. *shrug

Be warned that you will get 6-10mpg out of that motor, maybe 11 with a good tune on a Quadrajet.

Also be aware that there is at least one Caddy on bags with a sweet Cummins 6bt in it. :D Best of both worlds if you ask me. The Caddy motors are of course big torquey pigs and feel great to drive, just hurt an awful lot at the pump. :(

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
For the additional money you would have to put in the Caddy to make it tow safe, you could buy a cheap Chevy truck and use it just for towing. An Olly "Bee Sting" Bradstreet style truck so while it won't be pretty it would get you all over the state.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I saw a huge 5th wheel being pulled by a mercury grand marquis. It was quite awesoem actually. they guy had mad the trunk a custom tos spot with fiberglass integrated into the sides and trunk so it all looked one piece. The guy said he could tow about 70 on the freeway and got around 9 MPG which didn't matter so much back then. He said he had enough into it to buy a truck and still keep his car, but he wanted something unique. I doubt you would do that but you would be sort of unique(which you already are;)) . All that being said I would just use a truck.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Adding a truck to the stable would just increase my parking requirements by one. I'll probably swing the caddy either way, but if I can do a few things to it to make it tow a lighter weight buggy, that would be killer.

I've seen a hideaway receiver on a caddy that mounted behind the bumper, so that was what inspired me to consider this.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I just googled it ( you would think I would have already done that), and it looks like there are B and D style bodies that GM produced, and the D bodies are more robust--the caddy's are the D body. The big block versions have 7000# tow rating :D

Lots of people seem to be pulling camp trailers with them, as well as up to 96 LS1 caddy's :D

ID Bronco

Build the tranny and look at Brakes. Get brakes on both axles of the trailer too. There is a Ranchero pulling a fifth wheel probably 32" around here, I cannot find the pics anymore but it is interresting at the least. I stopped and took a photo.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Suspension, brakes, gearing & transmission would be my concerns.

The suspensions are super soft and of course, not designed for towing in mind. The brakes are dinky, small discs up front, marginal at best drums in the back. I don't think any of the transmissions have OD, so that means fuel consumption. I'm pretty sure most of those cars have something like 3.08 axle gears to take advantage of the torquey engine, great for the lack of OD, but load it up and it will take quite a bit to get it up to road speed. Could be pretty sketchy to safely pull out in front of a semi at highway speeds.

I wouldn't do it... Kurt's suggestion of a cheap Chevy is best. Even a beater 80's 2WD Chevy would tow way, WAY better than a Caddy.

bobmed

- - - -
I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived in Greybull Wyo. and they got a new Cadillac every two or three years.
All the ones I saw them with had factory tow packages and they towed a big old Airstream all over with them.
I think the tow package was rated for 5,000 lb.
This was in the 60's and 70's

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
My grandnpa used to have a 90 deville with the air ride that he towed is 4500 pound ocean fishing boat with, worked fine, did hills at about 55-60

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
One more thing... I wouldn't call the GM 12 bolt a stout rear axle. It's better than the 10 bolt, but in the end it's still a semi-float rear axle with 26(?) spline shafts.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I've got a 61 caddy 2 door sitting in my garage ready for an engine transplant and a paint job...neither of which I can rationalize in this economy. It is an X-frame and fully boxed except for the back 1/4 of the frame which would be easy to manage. I also have another rolling chassis worth of parts. the plan was to box it, airbag the other chassis, and then swap frames along with the 383 stroker I have built. I hadn't planned on towing but it does have a hitch on it...probably built for pretty light duty like small uhaul.

Dirty Harry

Harry Situations
I wouldn't do it... Kurt's suggestion of a cheap Chevy is best. Even a beater 80's 2WD Chevy would tow way, WAY better than a Caddy.

I have a '95 Chevy C2500 w/ a TBI 454, 4L80E, and an 8 lug full float 14 Bolt that I paid $1500 for on Craigslist. Not as pimpin' as a Caddy but I don't feel bad when it sits on the side of the house for months at a time.

rholbrook

Growing up we used to pull out 20' Cuddy with a Coupe Deville with airshocks. My brothers would fill the airshocks up, pull off the fender skirts and put some slicks on it and race it on State Street. Those were the good ole days.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think you'd be good to tow with the Caddy (or big Olds, Buick, Pontiac) up to 6K. You'd want to do some suspension tuning in the rear, though. I think peeps used to use air shocks to level the load. I'd think a WD hitch would be a requirement as well.