is this dumb? (caddy as tow rig question)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Proper tongue weight has nothing to do with the tow vehicle, it has everything to do with proper load distribution on the trailer.

On a side note, I always thought a sweet tow rig for a single guy would be a 1970's fullsize van. Pimp that thing out with a sweet mural and shag carpet and a futon in the back. Now you got shelter right along with tow capable.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would love to see what Cody's mural would be? I wonder.........
That's Easy.

attachment.php

Attachments

• van_1.jpg
    van_1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 9
When I was a kid we pulled a 6000lb boat with an LTD Station wagon. I thought everyone did.

ya buddy! At one point we had a '74 Merc Grand Marquis with 460 and 2.72 gears!!! (maybe 307?) 60+ in first gear! Maybe it had to shift to 2nd when pulling over Parley's, but you could still do 90 in 2nd...

It was basically a 1/2 f*rd pickup drivetrain, 9 seats and a trailer hitch.

It'll have the power to get it moving, but the comments on cooling and braking are legit...I remember tons of vehicles pulled over in Parley's canyon overheating, stuff you just don't see anymore. Likewise, soft suspensions and small brakes suck for towing.

Post pics :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Brakes and cooling systems can be upgraded. Then again, I used to buy good running 3/4-1ton work trucks and vans and beat the ever-loving hell out of them for 50-60k mi, for less than the brake upgrades would cost. :D

-_- but none of them were bitchin' Cadillac stylewagons. And that does count at least a little damnit!

Love the vans, too hahahaha

1995zj

I'm addicted
Nah, build a tandem axle super-lowrider trailer like Ranch used to (probably still does) tow his TJ around on.

I'm thinking the tandem axles will be nicer for trailer-sway reasons, as well as flat-tire redundancy. :)

^ As well as having more braking power (with dual axle brakes). That would be my only concern with this is the braking. But with the right trailer I don't see any issues.