jd2 bender q's about " the start of the bend"

y-jake

i read the pirate 4x4 bending 101 thing and it says to find the start of the bend. the start of their bend was 5.5" from the center when laid against a square. i have a 6.5" radius die (1.75" tube) and i wanted to know what you guys found as the start. it looks like it is around 8" but is hard to tell

thanks for your help
jake

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Have you bent up a 90* yet? Start there, use a Square to verify the angle. Once you have the 90*, feel the inside of the tube. You'll be able to feel where the tube bends in... this point (and the opposite one) is the start & end of the bend.

Mark that spot all the way around the tube with a permanant marker, then hold the 90* inside the square. Your marks should both be @ 6.5"! I have a 1 5/8" x 6.5" die and my 90*'s are exactally 6.5" radius.

Welcome to the world of Tube! I'm just getting started too... big projects ahead! ;)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
we tried to feel it and look for it, but it is not that visible. it is so freaking hard to tell when it is a 90. we were holding the square over it and trying to eye it.. it sucks. i think the start of the bend isn't as obvious because we took it out of the bender and put it back in.
how do you ever tell if it is a 90 or not?
it really looked more like 8" but hell i don't know.
both of our attempted 90s are off... one just a few degrees under 90 and the other just over!!!
pita!

so the 6.5" radius will have a 6.5" start?

thanks for replying greg

James K

NO, I'm always like this
xj_punk said:
we tried to feel it and look for it, but it is not that visible. it is so freaking hard to tell when it is a 90. we were holding the square over it and trying to eye it.. it sucks. i think the start of the bend isn't as obvious because we took it out of the bender and put it back in.
how do you ever tell if it is a 90 or not?
it really looked more like 8" but hell i don't know.
both of our attempted 90s are off... one just a few degrees under 90 and the other just over!!!
pita!

so the 6.5" radius will have a 6.5" start?

thanks for replying greg
you can not take it out of the bender when making the 90* bend.

hold the square over the top of the bender as you are bending and just keep tweaking until its right. 1 or 2 degrees wil not make a big diff.

make sure you mark your dies when you figure where the start of the bend is.

Greg

Admin
If you feel the inside of the bend, you can't miss where the tube is slightly dented, marking the beginning (or end) of the bend. Run your hand inside there back and forth, all the way across the bend. It should be pretty obvious, but it's kinda hard to see with the eye.

It's kinda a PITA to get a 90*, but don't bend too far on the first attempt. Begin a 90*, then once you're close, pull the Tube out & check it against a Square. You should also fab up a Angle-O-Meter, like in the Writeup on POR. That should help find a 90* too.

N-Smooth

yeah i still made a couple pieces for the old xj anyway, they are both like 91* hehe
hopefully tomorrow i will try another test one and get it right. :-\

Greg

Admin
Just take your time & prepare to screw up a few bends... but try not to. Wait untill you start building stuff! Then you really have to think!

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Greg said:
Just take your time & prepare to screw up a few bends... but try not to. Wait untill you start building stuff! Then you really have to think!

true.

Read the tubing 101 thread on pirate.

then do it again. and again and again.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

so can i complete a 90 and mark the beginning of the bend and then just put it back in the bender and mark it on the die? i can't find the mark on the die that i am supposed to see, there is nothing there! also can i mark the die and the piece that holds the tube in and then go to that point for a 90?one of you guys needs to teach a class on this crap.

yeah for some reason i thought the angles would be a lot easier than they are... all the pirate thing helps with is the start and end of the bend, which is helpful.
yeah i am going to try a hoop tomorrow...eeeek
all it consists of is two 90s but that is still scary, it is like 10 ft of tube which is like 20bucks! this nickel and dime stuff pisses me off, i am not much of a gambler :D
and also, how do you figure how much tube there is in the 90 degree bend? i need like 40" before the bend and 37 after, but how much is used by the bend? know what i mean at all?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
If you look at your die, you’ll see the point where your bend actually starts, (it’ll leave a mark, if not, you can use some grease) it should be about an inch or so from the leading edge. Since this is the point where it actually starts the bend, you’ll need to mark it on your die. This one is ground in, so you can see it, but a paint pen works too.

above is taken straight from tubing 101

N-Smooth

James K said:
THERE IS NO MARK ON THE DIE FROM THE FACTORY.

go read tubing 101.

IT IS THERE. The answers you need.

hrew is more then 30 cents cheaper. :rolleyes:

no the pirate thing says that it will make a mark on the die and then you should mark it/grind it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
xj_punk said:
and also, how do you figure how much tube there is in the 90 degree bend? i need like 40" before the bend and 37 after, but how much is used by the bend? know what i mean at all?
Start from the middle and bend out. Then you never have to figure out how much tube a bend uses.

Okay, there is a way to figure it out if you really need to. You hafta know exactly how long the tube was before you bent it. Find the spots that the bend started and ended. Measure from those spots to the end of the tube, so you knwo exactly the length of the tube that is not bent. Add those two lengths together, and subtract that from the length you started with, and you know how much tube it took to make the bend. Clear as mud? Now forget that. Just start from the middle of the tube and bend out, then cut the ends to length.

N-Smooth

RockMonkey said:
Start from the middle and bend out. Then you never have to figure out how much tube a bend uses.

Okay, there is a way to figure it out if you really need to. You hafta know exactly how long the tube was before you bent it. Find the spots that the bend started and ended. Measure from those spots to the end of the tube, so you knwo exactly the length of the tube that is not bent. Add those two lengths together, and subtract that from the length you started with, and you know how much tube it took to make the bend. Clear as mud? Now forget that. Just start from the middle of the tube and bend out, then cut the ends to length.

that method makes sense to me thanks.

but yeah no mark on the die :confused: maybe it only makes it if you don't lube?

hey, lets not make nasty comments about my edumacation!!! i gradiated high skewl with awners.
actually i am quite educated... but i am still an inexperienced punk @ss kid... agree?
fabbing is like tying shoes. it sucks bad at first when you are a stupid little kid, but keep practicing and then you will be champ at it. then you will get so laze that you tie all your shoes a little loose so you can slip them on and off (like me)

Caleb

xj_punk said:
that method makes sense to me thanks.

but yeah no mark on the die :confused: maybe it only makes it if you don't lube?

hey, lets not make nasty comments about my edumacation!!! i gradiated high skewl with awners.
actually i am quite educated... but i am still an inexperienced punk @ss kid... agree?
fabbing is like tying shoes. it sucks bad at first when you are a stupid little kid, but keep practicing and then you will be champ at it. then you will get so laze that you tie all your shoes a little loose so you can slip them on and off (like me)

actually with mine it only marked when I did use some lube...its where the lube marks stop in the die...when I did it, it was very clear both on the die and on the tube...