Jeep JK for BFG/Ultimate Adventure

BFGoodrich asked us to supply them with a Jeep Wrangler 4 Door to use for the 2008 Petersen's Magazine Ultimate Adventure. We started with an X model and went from there.

Engine/Performance: Adventure Innovations Super Charger with custom exhaust

Suspension: 2" 7075 Aluminum Lower Links front and rear, 1.75" 7075 rear upper links, and steel front uppers .250 wall DOM. All links use the Currie Johnny Joint. Currie Anti Rock Off-Road Sway Bars were used front and rear. We chose 2.5" Body Sway Away Air Shocks with custom valving and oil level. (I chose these because I wanted to put them to the ultimate on-off road challenge and see how they worked and held up. Sway Away Air Shocks have the exact same dimensions as the coil overs, so we could switch them if needed) We did a standard 4 link front with track bar and a 4-link rear with the rear uppers mounted at the back of the frame Similiar to Rancho's JK kit but a 4 link. We used axle brackets and shock mounts from Poly Performance along with brackets we had to make.

Axles: Front-Currie Rock Jock center section, 5.38 gears and Detroit Locker, billet 1350 pinion yoke, Superior chro moly axle shafts, CTM U-joints, Dynatrac Stub Hub kit with Dynaloc Hubs
Rear-Currie Rock Jock center section, 5.38 gears and Detroit locker, Currie Axle Shafts, Billet 1350 pinion yoke
Both axles were tubed and built at our shop

Advance Adapter Atlas II 4.3 ratio transfer case with HD outputs was installed

Tires/Wheels: 17" Walker Evans Beadlocks with 40x14.50r17 BFGoodrich KM2's

Body/Bumpers: Expedition One rear bumper with tire carrier,our own rock sliders and front bumper with grill hoop, Rock Hard 4x4 Roll Cage, Mastercraft Baja reclining seats were installed front and rear, AEV Corner guards were installed. Warn 9.5TI Winch with Rope

Steering: PSC Power Steering with reservoir and seperate cooler, 7075 aluminum tie rod and drag link with Tera Flex Heavy Duty rod ends

There are probably more parts that I will remember later.

Trip Report
They are in day 5 of the trip. The jeep drove 650 miles to Sturgis, wheeled the Black Hills, drove a few hundred more miles to North Dakota and wheeled there Tuesday. Dorve 380+ miles yesterday and are out on the trail today. I am leaving to meet them in Colorado tomorrow for the final day of wheeling. Friday is almost a 590 miles drive by itsself. This years Ultimate Adventure is the longest and hardest to date. The Jeep is working great and the air shocks are working great.

Attachments

• Ultimate Adventure 005.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 005.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Ultimate Adventure 009.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 009.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Ultimate Adventure 003.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 003.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 32
Adventure Innovations Super Charger

Attachments

• Ultimate Adventure 011.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 011.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Ultimate Adventure 012.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 012.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Ultimate Adventure 013.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 013.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 15
These are the last of the pictures I took before the Jeep left. I will write a trail report with pictures from Saturday's wheeling and of the JK after completion.

Attachments

• Ultimate Adventure 007.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 007.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Ultimate Adventure 015.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 015.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Ultimate Adventure 026.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 026.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 46

gripguru

Nate Davidson
attachment.php

more pics and impressions of this setup - what length links did you use?

very curious to see how this works

I think the lower links ended up around 38" front and rear not exactly sure on the rear upper link length. I will post more detailed pics of the front and rear suspension on Sunday or Monday.

Paul R

I think I was over there and saw it running up and down the road after the super charger was put in. Sweet Jeep :)

gripguru

Nate Davidson
I think the lower links ended up around 38" front and rear not exactly sure on the rear upper link length. I will post more detailed pics of the front and rear suspension on Sunday or Monday.

Cool, thanks!

The rear suspension is tricky, very curious about the new designs coming out for the JK... (just means it will make it into other designs) There was an article in Petersens this week that had an install on the horizontal c/o lift and I cannot seem to wrap my head around it yet.
I just finished my rear 4link and plan to have matching length lowers front and rear also.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've seen the Mt Logan / BFGoodrich JK in Petersons 4Wheel for their Ultimate Adventure '08 report, the Wrangler looks great! I wish they showed more of it though, parhaps it's own feature!? Sounds like Mt Logan nailed the balance between hardcore rockcrawler and streetable Wrangler. How does it drive with that supercharger, 40" BFG's and 5.38 gears? I'm also curious of the street manners with the air shocks at all 4 corners.

The 2.5" diameter air shocks worked far better than I would have dreamed of. They worked great driving 590+ miles a day on the freeway and through all of the terrain Nate drove it over. We have had the majority of our customers with 2.0 air shocks bring their vehicles back and upgrade to the 2.5 air shock. Those that have changed shocks have given me great feedback on the upgrade.

nope, that was a different one we assembled for Phil Howell, the editor of 4wd and Sport Utility. There was a little coverage of the Ultimate Adventure vehicles in the most recent Petersen's magazine and I believe that there is suppose to be more to follow in upcoming issues.

Attachments

• Ultimate Adventure 033.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 033.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Ultimate Adventure 032.jpg
    Ultimate Adventure 032.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 48