Jeep Safari Permit the Good and Bad

Olaf

Supporting Member
The Moab Jeep Safari permit was renewed YAY!!!
However, I received this data regarding comments submitted to the BLM for renewal of Jeep Safari permit....

"...527 people and 2 organizations commented. Of these, 456 were identical comments generated from a posting on the SUWA website. 6 private individual comments in opposition separately. Only 65 comments were in favor...".

Only 65 positive comments (including mine) supporting the renewal of the Jeep Safari Permit!!!!

What happened to everyone else that attends, supports and/or benefits from Jeep Safari?
I understand that people are involved in other endeavors. I understand that the comment period is 30 days. I understand that people may not have known how, when or where to comment.
However, the information was posted several times on our fb pages, it was posted on other fb pages, and on other forums yet we only had 65 comments in favor of renewing the Jeep Safari permit!

It's a good thing that the decision to renew the permit wasn't based on the number and type of comments!!!
I feel strongly that we should've had a many more positive comments.

This low level of response is a fundamental issue why the ohv community is always one step behind the organizations and people trying to close access!

Olaf

Supporting Member
I believe this time it's a 10 year permit, and yes if the permit isn't renewed then Jeep Safari would not be held in it's current form.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Yikes thats scary... Ive been trying to reinforce this same issue with my circle of friends... real life statistics there though!!!

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
The Moab Jeep Safari permit was renewed YAY!!!
However, I received this data regarding comments submitted to the BLM for renewal of Jeep Safari permit....

"...527 people and 2 organizations commented. Of these, 456 were identical comments generated from a posting on the SUWA website. 6 private individual comments in opposition separately. Only 65 comments were in favor...".

Only 65 positive comments (including mine) supporting the renewal of the Jeep Safari Permit!!!!

What happened to everyone else that attends, supports and/or benefits from Jeep Safari?
I understand that people are involved in other endeavors. I understand that the comment period is 30 days. I understand that people may not have known how, when or where to comment.
However, the information was posted several times on our fb pages, it was posted on other fb pages, and on other forums yet we only had 65 comments in favor of renewing the Jeep Safari permit!

It's a good thing that the decision to renew the permit wasn't based on the number and type of comments!!!
I feel strongly that we should've had a many more positive comments.

This low level of response is a fundamental issue why the ohv community is always one step behind the organizations and people trying to close access!

Everyone read this twice and make a copy so you do not forget in the future. Thanks Olaf, I have said it before but we need more perceptive people like you.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Oh, and I deduct that if they cant renew it, the EJS will not be held?

Additionally, if the EJS permit is not renewed, then that would probably be writing on the wall that popular trails are going to be on the chopping block.

Not only would EJS not be held, but a good majority of the other 4x4 events in the area would also not be held. EJS's permit literally greases the wheels of the Moab SRP system, they put in a bunch of money to perform the EIS statements that then get used when other groups apply for a group event SRP. Start losing the permit and trail closures to even individuals could happen. In addition to the BLM, the EJS donates to SAR, LEO's, Hospital, Scouts, School, etc. Its an event that needs to keep happening!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I believe this time it's a 10 year permit, and yes if the permit isn't renewed then Jeep Safari would not be held in it's current form.

Not only that, but every guide and tour company in Moab is bound by the same permit, as well as all of the other 4x4 and atv/utv events in Moab.

Team1k

Forgive me, i dont understand this section of the post. What is that SUWA posting? Was it a form you enter your email in and it sends in a pre written response?

sixstringsteve

I wish o had known about this. I don't use Facebook, and unless I hear it from the brc, tread lightly, or rme, I don't know about it. I'm glad to hear it got renewed.

Olaf

Supporting Member
I think it's a comedy of errors ranging from not efficiently getting the word out about the comment period and apathy among the ohv community.
It's really hard to stay on top of every ohv issue because there are so many. They can be lengthy and complicated to understand so inevitably you narrow your focus on areas that you frequent.

I emailed all of our sponsors, I had 2-3 companies ask me questions, but I don't know how many commented.
I emailed a bunch of friends who have come out to Moab several times, I emailed 3 local clubs that I'm affiliated with here in CA, but I'm going to go out a limb and bet that maybe one person commented!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have a question. Do the hikers and bikers have the same kind of requirements and have to pay to have events?

If they meet the pre-set criteria for an SRP, yes they could. If they are out on their own small groups, no... just as small groups of 4x4's don't require a permit. Scout Troops, family reunions, and school groups could also require an SRP depending on the impact, size, duration and location of their event on public lands.

Forgive me, i dont understand this section of the post. What is that SUWA posting? Was it a form you enter your email in and it sends in a pre written response?

Yes, but thankfully 1,000,000 form letters count as just a single letter. The BLM criteria dictates that letters be unique and meaningful, not form letters.

EB101

I am wondering about the count on the comments. I've talked to several that sent theirs in, as did I. When Coyote Canyon's comments where made public, mine was not in there. I had submitted a letter on that too.
-Steve

zukijames

I am wondering about the count on the comments. I've talked to several that sent theirs in, as did I. When Coyote Canyon's comments where made public, mine was not in there. I had submitted a letter on that too.
-Steve

Steve I had that same conversation with my girlfriend last night when she was reading about the lack of comments from offroaders. maybe the numbers posted are just the ones they bothered to look at?