Jeep wont stay running!!!

devilbikerdude

ok so lately it hasnt been starting, it sounds like it isnt getting any gas, so i ran some injectore cleaner, then i just replaced my fuel filter and let it run for about 15 mins then it just died and wont stay running when i try starting it. so im thinking it could be my fuel pump, or maybe my injectors. im not sure, help??

JeeperG

So it will run for awhile and then just die?
Does it have fuel in the tank? hehe
Can you hear your fuel pump turn on when you turn the key?
What engine is it?
Does it die at idle, driving or both?
You sure its not an electrical issue?

My experience with fuel pumps has been they just go out, never had an intermittent one.
Injectors I have never had to really deal with but I doubt they are the problem, then again I could be wrong.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
o2 sensor? giving computer wrong info, making system run too rich (flooding it), or too lean (starving it).
have you checked air filter?
check the cap & rotor, or module.
if it is not starting at all, and it is a fuel pump out, it should still start with a shot of starting fluid, (not stay running but at least you would know it IS fuel and not ignition related.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
o2 sensor? giving computer wrong info, making system run too rich (flooding it), or too lean (starving it).
have you checked air filter?
check the cap & rotor, or module.
if it is not starting at all, and it is a fuel pump out, it should still start with a shot of starting fluid, (not stay running but at least you would know it IS fuel and not ignition related.

Would an oxygen sensor (say, if all the wires to it were cut, for exapmple...) really cause it to run super poorly like this? That might not help DBD much, but it sure would be nice for me. :)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
If the o2 sensors are screwy or the wires are cut, the motor will run really poorly if at all. Get em hooked back up.

Yup, that pretty much describes how it runs, and I can see the O2 sensor wires hangin' there. Got caught on a rock somehow... Thanks for the insight.

Sorry for the highjack, DBD.

1995zj

I'm addicted
The O2 sensor is fairly new...probably installed at around 195K, so I doubt that is the problem, unless it's the wires like said. I would bet that it's the fuel pump, as far as I know that is the original one...

Last edited:

devilbikerdude

The O2 sensor is fairly new...probably installed at around 195K, so I doubt that is the problem, unless it's the wires like said. I would bet that it's the fuel pump, as far as I know that is the original one...

ya im thinkin it might the fuel pump, iv narrowed it down to either the injectors being clogged, vapor lock, or faulty fuel pump, i just started it again today and ran for about 15 mins and drove it around a parking lot and it ran fine, nothing wrong happened, so that just confused me more.

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
Hey Evan i had the same problem on my 91 xj and after replacing everything else i came to find out it was my fuel pump it just was not giving me enough pressure to keep me with enough fuel to stay running so yea try that check and see if you can get a fuel pressure guage from auto zone (bout 40$) or find one you can borrow

jlowry

Check the valve on your fuel rail, it looks just like a tire valve stem, if it releases a good stream of gas then your fuel system is ok. I would guess its a crank shaft position sensor. Jeeps are notorious for those going out.

devilbikerdude

ok so far i have replaced the fuel filter and i just replaced the fuel pump filter inside the gas tank, and i took it out on a drive and it sputters and chokes until 3000 rpms and then it runs fine, and it also idles just fine, has anyone ever come across this problem before?

devilbikerdude

its a 1991 XJ laredo, and no i havent chcked the codes, i have no way, i can drive it at idle and at 3000 rpms but other than that it just dies and i have to idle it home

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
Could be a crankshaft position sensor, as previously mentioned. Mine went out, but symptoms were a little different. My Jeep would just cut out, no sputter, nothing, it would just quit as if you turned off the key. I could be driving along and it would just die, eventually the Jeep just wouldn't start anymore, so I replaced the CPS and it fired right up again. Now I carry a spare :D You should have the same OBDII system that my Jeep has (mine is a 94, so I'm not sure), where you can just turn the key on and off three times (on-off-on-off-on), leaving it in the "on" position on the third time (without starting it) and the check engine light will blink a sequence of numbers. There are several websites that have Jeep tech that you can see what these numbers mean, or you can look in any repair manual (i just have a chilton's, and they are in there). This will at least point you in the general direction of the problem. Hope this helps!

devilbikerdude

alright ill check that out, although i havent seen any check engine lights on at all, it weird though cuz while its in neutral or park i can rev it up all i want and it doesnt sputter, it will also start every time, but as soon as i put it in drive and go over about 1700 rpms it starts to sputter and occasionaly backfire, then as soon as it gets to 3000 rpms it runs great.

devilbikerdude

ok so i just unscrewed the cap for the fuel rail and no fuel came out, i then tried to keep it running by spraying brake cleaner in it and it wont stay running, it will just start up and hit about 1200rpm and the slowly die, and giving it gas doesnt help.

this would be alot easier to fix if i was at home with all my tools, but im trying to fix this in a hotel parking lot with very little tools, does anyone know of some good honest shops around the mesa/tempe area?

devilbikerdude

oh and im thinkin its the fuel pump but then again i can still hear the pump when i turn the key on. soooo its really startin to mess with my head, i cant pinpoint the problem.

crawler21

and your makin fun of my jeep haha jk. its the o2 sensor check thats the same thing my dads did. it could only be that or your fuel pump not giving you enough pressure

devilbikerdude

and your makin fun of my jeep haha jk. its the o2 sensor check thats the same thing my dads did. it could only be that or your fuel pump not giving you enough pressure

i dont think its the O2 sensor, but i dont know about the pump, i mean i can still hear the pump when i turn the key to on position, could it possibly still work just not give me enough pressure??:confused: