Jeep Jeep Wrangler based truck (JT Gladiator)

Thursty

Gawdammit...

I knew this was going to be trouble. As if, Marc and Josh and Jeremey aren't enough trouble already.

I've been careful not to let Cindy know I have any interest in a Gladiator. Yesterday, when I was expecting they'd give her a Renegade or some such for a loaner and they gave her a brand new Gladiator instead, I didn't say anything, but I wasn't real thrilled.

Then, when I took her picture - which did make her mad - I had to kind of explain why. She immediately said something about "oh, so that's why you didn't want them to give me a Gladiator". Which, I didn't say anything about that. But she knew anyway.

So, she just busted into my office to excitedly let me know, she has been "doing some looking", and wanted me to know I can get a brand new Mojave off the lot for under $50K right now, and etc., etc., etc., we could sell the trailer and my LJ, and, and, and, etc., etc., etc. I'm doing my best to tamp that shit down but she's not going to let it go.

Gawdammit...

- DAA
Trying hard to push away thoughts of selling/trading my F-150. This thread doesn’t help.

Reactions: DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I definitely think the Mojave is for you, @DAA. If you find you want a front locker, they’re easy to add. The front bumpstops are definitely noise-makers. They’re just reminding you to drive it faster through the whoops.

Josh helped me get over the noise they make. We went up a few dirt roads at 70 mph with the rear locker engaged and that thing was AWESOME. They need to be pushed.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I can't remember. Did you ever re-gear?

- DAA

Yes, to 5.13's... it's perfect gearing for 39's.

That said, I love how capable my Gladiator is with 3.5" lift and 39's... but I lost a good bit of drivability and MPG taking it there. I don't know that I'd do it differently if I could, but sometimes I wonder how much better it would do with 2-2.5" lift, staying on 37's and gearing it to 4.88's.

Plus, you can still fit a 37" BFG in the spare mount under the bed. I have a 39" in the bed, taking up 70% of the floor. I plan to get a 'compact spare' 37 and put it back under the bed, freeing up that space.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member

That said, I love how capable my Gladiator is with 3.5" lift and 39's... but I lost a good bit of drivability and MPG taking it there. I don't know that I'd do it differently if I could, but sometimes I wonder how much better it would do with 2-2.5" lift, staying on 37's and gearing it to 4.88's.

Plus, you can still fit a 37" BFG in the spare mount under the bed. I have a 39" in the bed, taking up 70% of the floor. I plan to get a 'compact spare' 37 and put it back under the bed, freeing up that space.
You forgot to mention an important part: they just look right on that size tire. Like they should’ve come with them.

DAA

MPG by itself isn't super important to me. But range is. And, MPG effects range. Part of why I never put 37's on my LJ - don't want to lose any (more) range.

If I was going to get a JT (I'm not!), I had been thinking 39's, but I think you just talked me out of it (theoretically, since I'm not getting one).

- DAA

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Well after the last meet and greet the wife and I went to Dempseys and drove some JT's. They are nice. They had several for under $50k. I may have a Tacoma listed for sale. If some poor fan boy gives me the $$$$ I'm asking I'll have just missed the 23' JT incentives and will be walking :rofl:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
MPG by itself isn't super important to me. But range is. And, MPG effects range. Part of why I never put 37's on my LJ - don't want to lose any (more) range.

If I was going to get a JT (I'm not!), I had been thinking 39's, but I think you just talked me out of it (theoretically, since I'm not getting one).

- DAA

I understand, but for additional info... my JKU on 35's averaged 15 MPG. With the Gladiator on 39's, If I keep it under 70 MPH, it'll average 15-16 MPG.

With the 22 gallon tank, that still a respectable 300+ miles range to empty.... on 39's. 😲

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
With the deezel (not necessarily recommending that but just for comparison), I get 19-20 mpg @ 75ish. Higher cost of fuel, higher cost of maint on the diesel, it kind of evens out in my mind. I have not had to regear.

I have been eyeing 7.3L gas F350 quite a bit and sometimes have a work need for something sturdier than the JT. I don't regret buying the JT at all but could kind of use a HD truck more often than I'd like to admit

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Even 300 wouldn't be that great. I see some pricey options to increase capacity though. But dang, they're spendy!

- DAA

I took an extra 15 gallons on a trip last May (you may have driven my truck that trip). I could have gotten away with not taking any fuel with me but I just wanted the insurance as I was the only diesel on the trek if I remember correctly. 5 gallons would be plenty extra a trip like that. $30 tank vs many hundreds for a bigger fuel tank in the factory location.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
With a spare 5 gal if my mpg stays the same as my last trip, range should be well into the 400's.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
IMG_6003.jpeg
These 38x13’s came on mine, and the wheels have them sticking out farther than I want. When these are done, I plan on going 37x11.50 on some regular wheels to stay flush with the fenders, and fit the spare. And regear to 4:88’s.

ALSO the bumper in this photo is for sale for a good deal.