Jeep JK Steering

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
Anyone know what function the sleeve on the steering column up next to the firewall serves on a 07' JK? If this sleeve slides out, will it allow the steering wheel to turn from center & cause the steering sensor to activate the ESP/BAS lights? Also cause the lights to stay on & the TCM to be activated on startup?
If this sleeve would not allow the steering wheel to turn from center, what would? Checked draglink (straight & tight) Checked tierod (straight & tight) Pitman arm (tight) TR ends (tight) nothing in the steering from the box to the knuckles seems to have moved.
I re-centered the steering wheel by adjusting the draglink (pulled together) & after a few miles the lights went out & everything seems to be back to normal. But it concerns me that something in the steering box? or column? would allow the wheel to turn from center.
Can anyone enlighten me?

notajeep

Just me
I heard the guys at Mt Logan talking one day that the JKs were SUPER sensative to steering allingment, and it it was not exactly on, the cumputer would freak out. Maybe you might give them a call.

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
Might have to do that. My buddy has an 07' JK also, he's had to re-center his twice. Both times he hit a rock pretty hard on the passenger side. I drove over a fallen tree without using the front locker & after I got over it the steering wheel was off center.:confused:
Thanx for the info!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Sounds like you could have bent the draglink or trackbar a little bit... Either one could cause it.

Last edited:

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
Sounds like you could have bent the draglink or trackbar a little bit... Either one could cause it.
I thought about that. Checked everything out to make sure nothing got bent. Seemed to me that if I had bent the drag link it would have pulled the steering to the right, and I would have had to lengthen the drag link to recenter the steering. I had to shorten it. I did look everything over quite closely. You know how you can see little imperfectins in the paint when metal gets bent, either wrinkled or chipped or something. Didn't see any of that.
I was wondering about the sleeve on the column up by the firewall, cause I read something about it on another forum. Said it should only be out about an inch. I checked mine & it was out about three inches. I tapped it back in & it stopped at 1" sticking out. Wondering if that has something to do with it?!:confused:
Guess I'll have ta take it out & beat it some more & see if it does it again, with the sleeve pushed back in.
Thanx for the suggestions!