Jeep JK Unlimited vs TJ Unlimited

kellerexpress

As a JKU owner here are some observations.
JKU Pros:
-They are awesome off road
-4 doors and lots of room in the back
-Can sleep in the back if needed
- Minimal lift required to fit larger tires
-The hard top comes off in 3 pieces, you can just remove the front sections for some sun if needed without taking off the whole top
-Huge aftermarket support
-Long arms not "needed" for a decent ride like they are with TJ's. This is due to the longer stock control arms. That being said I have long arms and they make the ride even better.
-The stock steering components seem beefier than the stock components on a TJ
-For a wrangler they have more bells and whistles than previous models(if you care about that stuff) mine has DVD, Nav, Remote start, infinity sound, stuff like that.
- better mpg than a TJ, ..........barely :)
- the stock skids hold up good to abuse (rubicon model)

Cons:
-The engine, 3.8 liters of mini-van fury. It's no secret that it is underpowered for a rig this size. With larger tires, it is livable if you get the manual, if you have the auto it is a pig unless you re-gear. I'm running 5.38's and an auto, an intake and a programmer. its very livable this way and power is better than stock. My engine also seems to burn a little oil, and it only has 35k on it. From what I read this is pretty common and Jeep will tell you it's normal.
-Expensive. These jeeps cost a lot, luckily they hold their re-sale value well.
-The interior/dash feels cheap.( I have a 2008). Lots of plastic here. The seats hold up well but for such an expensive vehicle I wish the dash area looked nicer.

I really like TJ Unlimiteds, if I was single I would probably own one. But if you have kids or like to bring people along the JKU is the way to go. Most of the time I love the longer wheel base off road, just make sure you have skids and sliders because you will drag a little more over stuff.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Seems to be a good split on who likes what. I don't have kids, 13 years together and we don't plan on having any. The back seat for passengers isn't a HUGE deal, more just for my cheap friends who won't buy a rig that I like to drag around places. From what i'm hearing from everyone, I don't think i'm going to set my heart on one or the other. I think my plan will be to find the best deal on either and pull the trigger. If I can't find a sweet TJU for a sweet price or JKU I think i'll be happy. I do like the slightly smaller feel of the TJU, but 4 doors are awesome.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I just switched from the TJU to a JKU. Like you, I don't use my back seat very much. I do however use the floor area behind the drivers seat all the time. Whether it's a quick run to the grocery store, or my thermos of coffee, every thing goes there because it's just quick and easy. I wouldn't want to go back to the TJ for that reason.

Like others, I run a 3 1/2" short arm lift, 37" tires and 5.38 gearing. The engines power is ok, and it handles the road nicely on the Teraflex lift. I did have death wobble after the lift, but a quick caster adjustment took care of that. On my TJU, I had 4 1/2" long arm lift on 35" tires and 4.88's. The JK handles better and rides nicer than my TJ ever did.

If you want the comfort of things like power windows and locks, then the JK fits the bill. The factory JK seat covering sucks. I replaced the cloth with heated leather and turned it into a pretty nice interior.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I Love my 2008 I decided not to buy a rubicon for the single reason, I can build a better rig than a rubicon for less than the rubicon cost. I am running a 4 inch LCG long arm lift from teraflex and it rides awesome and handles great as well. With the 37" tires and 5.13 gears it goes down the road great at 75mph i am sitting at 2400 rpms and when it downshifts (every hill you come too) the rpms shoot up to about 3500rpms and you keep cruisin along.

As far as t-case gearing with the automatic since i bought it I was dead set on doing a 4:1 case but after having it in moab I am more than happy with the stock 2.72:1 gearing and plan on leaving it this way for the forseeable future

All around it is my favorite street driven wheeling rig ever, but like most mine will end up with either a hemi or a supercharger.

Bart

I think all the basics have been covered well. My next rig will be one of these and I'm on the fence also, but have plenty of time to figure it out as it's 3 or 4 years down the road.

I think based on your statement that you want to carry 4 people with gear that the 4 door JK would fit your needs better. I very much dislike putting people in the back of my TJs, even the Unlimited I had, unless the top of was off. I think the JK is more road friendly also and I do like the fact that you can sleep in the back if you're not a tall person. From personal experience I think that 5.38s are a necessity with the auto and 35s or larger. There are so many Rubi axles for sale that I wouldn't worry about finding a Rubicon.

You and I were in the same boat.... I bought my LJ because the price was right, and love at first site!
If I'd found a nice JKU that was iny price range, I would've bought that.

You should just start looking/test driving and jump on the right deal, 4 doors or 2.

My brother went from an 02 TJ, to an 07 JK Rubi, and has recently sold his JK and is going back to a TJ. His complaints were primarily the lack of power without upgrades and the cost of parts as compared to TJ parts prices. He is tall and didn't like the higher door panels in relation to the windows, or the center console.

Roger

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
JK will have superior steering and the soft tops are way better. They climb great, they are comfortable, better mileage than the 4.0 and they ride nice and blah blah blah.
But the electronic nannies piss me off.
I drove Jodie's all over the swell and every time I wanted to slide it the traction control would kick in and "grr..grrr...grrrr..." instant understeer. Want to spin the tires with your manual trans? Too bad the computer thinks you're slipping and cuts power. I don't know if it's only the early JK's but I just don't need that.

but I still love them and for a DD they cannot be beat.

That said I'd still pick an LJ. JK's feel so plastic.
LJ's will always hold their value. Look at the scrambler.
LJ's are narrower. They don't have crazy electronic nannies. And they just plain work. I love that there is nothing on them you can't fix yourself. I just love them.

As far as capability: my opinion is either vehicle with gears, lockers and an auto (or lower tcase) on 35's will be as nimble as the #38.5 on the rocks. But the power to spin the tires through the snow or sand I just couldn't live without.

The turning angle alone is so much better compared to the closed knuckle toy.

And compared to the 22re... the 3.8L is a rocketship.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Traction control is a non issue really, the ESP bypass switch I wired into mine kills any and all electronic nannies. There is the "steering wheel dance" as they call it to turn off all traction control other than a few things but my kill switch is a lot easier. The locker bypass mod is another easy thing to do so you can run your lockers whenever you want.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
A little more than I want, I basically want to model my rig around Brian's right now. I wouldn't mind a long arm in the future, but with minimal lift

TeraFlex

TeraFlex
Vendor
The 4 door JK is probably the best all-around Jeep currently available. It is so far above the TJ/LJ platform as far as handling and comfort.

Stop on in at TeraFlex - 5241 S Commerce Dr (just off I-15 @5300 s) and come test drive any of our JKs. We have virtually every year, and every lift height/tire combination for you to check out.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I might have to come down to Teraflex when I get home and drive a couple to see how much better the long arm rides. I'll probably do that and it will seal the deal on me getting the long arm but just a few comparison test drives is a great idea.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The 4 door JK is probably the best all-around Jeep currently available. It is so far above the TJ/LJ platform as far as handling and comfort.

Stop on in at TeraFlex - 5241 S Commerce Dr (just off I-15 @5300 s) and come test drive any of our JKs. We have virtually every year, and every lift height/tire combination for you to check out.

Nice!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I might have to come down to Teraflex when I get home and drive a couple to see how much better the long arm rides. I'll probably do that and it will seal the deal on me getting the long arm but just a few comparison test drives is a great idea.

It will without question seal the deal on the long arm. waaay better.

kellerexpress

You are more than welcome to take mine for a spin as well when the time comes.