John Swallow

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Swallow knows us and what we want. If you're voting on land use Swallow is the dude. Now where did Maverick go, he seems to know where everyone stands. Chris Cannon seems to be a good one too.

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
John Swallow on Public Lands

Public Lands.

As president of the Multiple Access Conservation Coalition, I have been a strong advocate for promoting the responsible use of public lands.
I believe the 70% of all land in Utah controlled by the federal government is for responsible use and enjoyment.

I am a crusader to protect our rights to access public lands. I helped remove personal restrictions on personal watercraft on Lake Powell. I fought for the retirement of the Babbitt BLM handbook implemented in the waning days of the Clinton Administration. And I encouraged the RS2477 road issue settlement.

The waste caused by the efforts of extreme environmental groups who, through ill-fashioned litigation, prevented treatment of beetle infestations in the Dixie National Forest until it was too late to salvage the forest disappoints me. As a result, today it is an extreme fire hazard.

JackKeslerCustoms

yellowjacket said:
Public Lands.

My brother was Jim Matheson's policy advisor for the last year and a half. He's not copying Swallow. Swallow makes it a campaign issue because he knows it will get the attention of the vast majority in his district.

JackKeslerCustoms

Keslerjr said:
yellowjacket said:
Public Lands.

I won't tell anyone how to vote. That statement tells everybody where he stands on that particular issue, and it's exactly what we want to hear. I would urge you to listen to him debate. He and Bridgewater were on KSL the other day and it was fascinating.

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
Sorry, I failed to mention that my last post was from John Swallow's website.

I don't know a whole lot about politics so I can't argue to much. That is why I put most of these things in question form. I have however heard from many people that, to sum it up, Democrats are more into taking away our land and Republicans are more into letting us have it. Of course using it responsibly. Any thought on that.

JackKeslerCustoms

yellowjacket said:

Hey I know you by the way, my name is Jack Kesler. I don't know if you still work there, but I met you at your work. I used to live in Sandy, about 3rd east, 10800 so. (do I sound like a stalker?) I drive a Gold F350 Crew Cab, an my Jeep was in the begining stages of buildup last summer but I talked to you about wheeeling a few times when I was getting ready for trips to Moab. Hell i've got your card in my wallet.

Nationally, Yes you are correct. Typically the environmentalists that are trying to close our trails are linked to the democrats. Utah is an entirely different ballgame politically. Swallow lost the last election because of a weak platform. He talks about things like public lands, and guns, and abortion because they are issues that the majority of his voters will agree with him on. That is politics. In that statement that you posted, I support all of those causes myself. But that doesn't mean I did a damned thing personnally to get waverunners back on Lake Powell. His platform last campaign was basically, I'm republican, Utah's Republican, and everyone should have guns. Even now the Republican party is focussing on getting the seat back for the republicans. They redisticted Utah speciffically for Swallow before the last election, and he still lost. they need a little more substance, and we'll see if they can come up with it. Like I said before, I won't tell anyone how to vote. Just do your resaerch and pick the best guy for the job.

patriot

I voted for Swallow, just so Bridgewater wouldn't win! Looks like he didn't win. :D :rofl:
I had a molecular biology class at BYU that Bridgewater's wife teaches. She gave me an A- because I spelled RNA Polymerase II as RNA Polymerase 2. I missed the A by 3 points and she wouldn't let it slide. :mad2:

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
patriot said:
I voted for Swallow, just so Bridgewater wouldn't win! Looks like he didn't win. :D :rofl:
I had a molecular biology class at BYU that Bridgewater's wife teaches. She gave me an A- because I spelled RNA Polymerase II as RNA Polymerase 2. I missed the A by 3 points and she wouldn't let it slide. :mad2:

What a jerk! That's funny. I don't know what that feels like though. I would have been very happy with a C.

yellowjacket

Much more comfortable
I think I remember you Jack. Didn't you give me one of your cards? I think I still have it. Kesler's something? What card did I give you?

That must have been when I worked at Jiffy Lube. I got sick of having to tell people that we (at Jiffy Lube) aren't mechanics! So when we would tell customers their tranny was leaking, they would ask what they need to do. We got in trouble if we spent any time with them. I work for Larry Miller Toyota now as a real mechanic. :eek: :confused:

JackKeslerCustoms

That's good to hear. I'm sure you're enjoying toyota much better. I don't know which card I would have given you. I read the reply that said Tobin, and I walked around for a couple of days thinking, and then I recognized your truck and put it together. We should still get together to go out and wheel, I don't get out nearly as often this year because my wife and I had a baby in Feb. Really puts a damper on the hobbies. I'm getting together with a few guys to run up Devils Brigade (corner canyon) on tues. night if your interested. Nothing to heroic, but a good group of guys. Then I'm heading to moab thurs thru the weekend. (My wife is leaving tues and taking the baby to see her sister in chicago for 9 days so I plan to either wheel or play hockey every day that she's gone) Let me know, It's good to talk to you again.

JackKeslerCustoms

yellowjacket said:
Obviously I missed out.

I am going out to Little Moab Saturday night and camping out with some UROC buddies. You should come!

I just got back from Moab monday, I'm actually going to be making a minor repair this weekend. I'm doing a trip report right now, I should have it posted up soon. We'll keep in touch though and get out together soon.

Houndoc

look at party and individual

yellowjacket said:

I don't know a whole lot about politics so I can't argue to much. That is why I put most of these things in question form. I have however heard from many people that, to sum it up, Democrats are more into taking away our land and Republicans are more into letting us have it. Of course using it responsibly. Any thought on that.

No question in my mind you need to look at both the individual candidate and the party platform. In both parties you have those who go against the grain, but when push comes to shove party politics are a big factor. Too few are willing to vote against their party on a very public issue, like land use. The exteme environmental groups do hold much more sway over Democrats then Republicans.

For those in the 1st District, I had a great chat with Rob Bishop when he ran the first time a couple of years ago. In the hour plus he was at my office land issues was one of the topics we covered and he is well worth our support.