Jon’s NA Miata Build

jsudar

My dad gave me his Miata. He has a long history of giving me cars. He doesn’t like selling them. I think it’s because there’s always little things wrong with them and he feels guilty about selling something that isn’t perfect and he knows I can fix them, so he just gives them to me. There was a 1984 Plymouth Reliant, a 1987 Mazda B2200 2WD pickup that said WordPerfect Corporation on the doors, a 1991 SHO Taurus I wish I had kept and now a 1994 Miata.
To him, I think it was just another 30 year old car with 185k on the clock and a squeaky speedo cable. I don’t know if he knew these cars in this condition are going for $8-10k on KSL. It had been garaged the whole time he had it (20 years) and was mostly a weekend car. It has a couple paint chips and some peeling on the bumper cover. Very nice shape otherwise.
It showed up in my driveway on the day the registration expired where he told me he’d lost the title when he moved and it would take him a while to find it.
I pushed it into a corner of the garage where it sat for almost a year. It’s bone stock.
71012432966__1785B104-5D2E-439B-8A24-CF3315DC9758.jpeg

jsudar

When it first showed up, I had three different Ducati projects going on and I was overdue for building my growing daughter a new pedal bike— I scratch build custom bicycle frames so this wasn’t a matter of just bolting parts together. I didn’t have room in my life for a Miata. That’s why it sat for so long.
However, I had gotten a new job in Salt Lake City (I’m in Utah county) and was commuting in my F150–not great for gas mileage. I’d ride a Ducati when the weather was decent, but even my S4Rs only got 33 mpg because, well, I like to have fun….
So I licensed the Miata to use as a commuter. The manual trans kinda sucks on I15 in the evenings though and I had to build a custom cup holder for my morning coffee.
It only gets 31 mpg, because, well, I like to have fun…
It would probably get 40 mpg if I didn’t shift at 6k :)
After several months of commuting in it, I have determined it’s an underpowered motorcycle that doesn’t tip over when I stop.
It’s loud and vibraty, not particularly comfortable or easy to drive (compared to a modern vehicle) and I’ll probably die if I get hit in it, which is likely because it’s so tiny.
I finished my daughter’s bike, sold a Ducati and have a little motivation now, so I thought I’d start a build thread.

jsudar

That'll be the 1.8L engine. Stick or auto? And what are you planning to do with it?
The 1994 is arguably the best year of the Miata. They are the lightest/simplest cars that had the bigger 1.8L and the bigger rear end. The earlier 1.6 diffs were made of glass…
It is a five speed manual.
I haven’t figured out what I’m doing with it yet. At least not all the way. It will not be a dedicated track car. Needs to stay streetable.
It needs power. 100 HP to the ground is not enough. Rotrex supercharger maybe?
It needs tires, but has alignment issues like slipping eccentric bolts so I’m working on that first before I drop money on new tires and wheels.
I’m machining my own Delrin bushings and building my own upper control arms to eliminate the eccentrics.
And it will need a new clutch very soon because I drive like an ass….

jsudar

Started with some fun stuff easy stuff because I like to make things. Yeah, I could buy all this stuff, but l love to build it myself.
Here’s a shift knob made from Delrin scraps from work.
IMG_6120.jpeg
IMG_6122.jpeg

And some door pulls I stitched up from a weight lifting belt I got at DI with custom aluminum washers. Saved 50 grams per door. I felt that gain in the butt dyno
IMG_6283.jpeg

jsudar

Godzilla 7.3 swap. I said what I said.
The crowd I run with has a 2JZ Ultima RS kit car that weighs the same as the Miata but puts down 10x the HP and a ZR1 Vette that has a better power to weight ratio than my fast Ducati and runs low 9s in the quarter.
Don’t think it hasn’t crossed my mind….