July 4th in Silverton, Colorado

Well, I did it. I went camping and not only did I survive, I had a hoot!! :tara: I'm not a camper by any means, I love hotels! Plus, the bottom line is, I'm just prissy. :eek: Now the reasoning behind this brave decision was the company we were to keep for the weekend. We coerced Greg and Catherine, the CarlPlus family, Cody, Dominic, and Reba (a mutual friend of ours and Cody) to meet us in Silverton for the 4th and some good mountain wheeling and I didn't want to miss a minute of our time together! We headed into town on Thursday with Reba and got camp all set up in a beautiful grassy spot by the river. Thankfully, we were able to go up the weekend before and "reserve" a spot because town and the surrounding wilds were crazy! Carl and family pulled into camp right about dinner time with the 4Runner in tow and were quickly settled in as well. After a yummy campfire dinner and tucking the kids into bed, we all sat up and waited for Cody and Dom to arrive. About 11:30 we heard the sultry V8 rumble of a ZJ and our party was mostly complete!
July 4th in Silverton 001 (Large).jpg
The wickedly cool camp kitchen! :D

Friday dawned beautiful and sunny so we took off downtown to watch the end of the parade and the water fight between the fire departments. The Silverton FD and Durango FD have a water fight on main street with fire trucks! It was really fun to watch, but we all got a bit wet. Greg and Catherine were due to arrive later in the afternoon so we took off up Arrastra Gulch for a quick afternoon jaunt. We stopped at the Little Giant mine and enjoyed the sunshine, sights, and the snow.

July 4th in Silverton 006 (Large).jpg
A flying Reba
July 4th in Silverton 008 (Large).jpg
Cody......notice Carl in the background with a snowball? -_-
July 4th in Silverton 009 (Large).jpg
Carl finally decided to come down after failing to hit his wife and I with said snowballs.
July 4th in Silverton 013 (Large).jpg
Stopped by an avalanche!
July 4th in Silverton 015 (Large).jpg
The lake at the end of Arrastra
July 4th in Silverton 018 (Large).jpg
Dominic and Reba
July 4th in Silverton 021 (Large).jpg
An actual family portrait that doesn't have Lemon Joy in it!
July 4th in Silverton 022 (Large).jpg
Cody taking the crazy way back to the vehicles. :eek:

Dominic

tear.jpg

MIneshoot.jpg

stamp.jpg

Topoftheworld.jpg

RedRiverRoad.jpg

oLdminingtools.jpg

Justalittlesnow.jpg

Gregs.jpg

Bentbolt.jpg

Bigrigpeak.jpg

Last edited:
Heading back into camp later that afternoon, we found Greg and Catherine all set up and ready to head up Hurricane Pass.

July 4th in Silverton 023 (Large).jpg
Carl playing in the snow
July 4th in Silverton 028 (Large).jpg
A poser shot!
July 4th in Silverton 029 (Large).jpg
Dom, Catherine, Greg, and Chris
July 4th in Silverton 030 (Large).jpg
Hurricane just got plowed last week!

Even with our late start and Greg puncturing a tire, we still got back to camp at a decent hour. Had some dinner and headed out to watch the fireworks. Silverton's fireworks show is simply amazing. We laid on a hill and watched them ka-splode with the mountains in the background. :cool:

Saturday was our big day and watching the looming black clouds we headed over Red Mountain Pass. Despite the rain that came our way, we took the scenic route down the Random Red Mountain Road by the National Belle, stopped for lunch in Ironton, and then braved the rain to drive down to Engineer Pass. Near the top, we stopped at the stamp mill at Mineral Point.

July 4th in Silverton 039 (Large).jpg
The Carl's
July 4th in Silverton 042 (Large).jpg
Cody explaining how he is the awesomest guy at the stamp mill, no battle
July 4th in Silverton 044 (Large).jpg
Miss Addison, a very brave explorer

Thankfully, the rain had cleared up by that point and it was getting later in the day. Greg and Catherine had turned back earlier to get home for Greg's work and the rest of us were getting tired. Suddenly, we hear Carl yelling at us to stop. So, we pull over and Dom and Cody come flying out of the ZJ with plastic garbage bags and head up the hill. Time for some redneck sledding!

July 4th in Silverton 065 (Large).jpg
Dominic
July 4th in Silverton 068 (Large).jpg
Cody
July 4th in Silverton 075 (Large).jpg
Carl and Carson
July 4th in Silverton 081 (Large).jpg
Chris and Alyssa

After the sledding, which was freakin' hilarious, we continued down the valley. After exploring Animas Forks, we headed into town and took the tired way out and had dinner at Handlebars. Yummy. :)

As usual, the weekend went way too fast and Sunday was here before we knew it. Carl and family loaded up early Sunday morning and began their trek back to SLC. Cody and Dominic were game for a quick run up Picayne Gulch before heading out. It was a beautiful drive and we stopped at a cool mine site with a nifty mill.
July 4th in Silverton 090 (Large).jpg
Cody was careful to not whip his head around so he wouldn't harm the mill's structural integrity.
July 4th in Silverton 091 (Large).jpg
Reba and the mill
July 4th in Silverton 097 (Large).jpg
Looking back towards Silverton

After a quick stop at the Sound Democrat which I didn't get pictures of, we raced the storm back to town and said our goodbyes. And that was our 4th of July!

Bart

Great write up and pics. Looks like fun was had by all. The camp kitchen was over the top, nice. Carl, I can't believe how big your kids have gotten.

Catherine

Mrs. Gardner
I wish we could have stayed longer. It was a great weekend! Alyssa said to me at Ironton, "Don't you just love Silverton?" I thought, yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Jeeptj98

Nice pics. We went to Durango on our Honeymoon and spent most of our time exploring out in Silverton I want to go back bad.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
What an awesome place! Here's a few of my pics to add, I won't bother with much text cuz Broncomama did such a good job. :cool:
ColoradoView-1.jpg

ColoradoView-2.jpg

ColoradoView-3.jpg

HurricanePassView-1.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

Notice the flying snowball.....

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

Last edited:

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
I thought you all looked familiar! I was there at the intersection of Engineer and Poughkepsie (spelled wrong) as you were coming up. I was in the tan CJ-7 with my wife and my brother was in the black CJ-5 behind us. Noticed the RME stickers, but I guess you all didn't see the RME shirt I had on? Oh well.. looks like you all had a good time! Glad to see you out there!
Matt
(yes... this actually is the road... good run-off this year caused the stream to flood over the road about 18" deep at the deepest! Good times!)
l_9b3b66c849e4fdf586c2c1d0003b95f2.jpg

l_f66baa8313948236ad35d855c960a4d9.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, I love the picture of Dom and Addie! Very cute. I'm glad to see others got pics of the scenery. I was just so excited to see friends in our neck of the woods, I forgot about scenery shots in favor of people and rigs. :eek:

I thought you all looked familiar! I was there at the intersection of Engineer and Poughkepsie (spelled wrong) as you were coming up. I was in the tan CJ-7 with my wife and my brother was in the black CJ-5 behind us. Noticed the RME stickers, but I guess you all didn't see the RME shirt I had on? Oh well.. looks like you all had a good time! Glad to see you out there!
Matt
(yes... this actually is the road... good run-off this year caused the stream to flood over the road about 18" deep at the deepest! Good times!)
That's hilarious! Did you try Poughkeepsie? It doesn't get plowed and I was told there was still ton of snow up there.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
That's hilarious! Did you try Poughkeepsie? It doesn't get plowed and I was told there was still ton of snow up there.

We got up past the rubble hill and found a group of people trying to blast through a snow drift... looked like a good avalanche caused it! You are right though about it not being plowed! We will have to go back in a few weeks and see if it is open then.. and maybe bring this instead....
l_edac831578a91f404172548660be315b.jpg

If I had my truck there I would have tried harder and pushed the snow... those 42s are great instead of the little 35s I had on the jeep! Had a great day though!
Matt