just got off the phone with the AF Canyon ranger station

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Hope it makes it more boring so all the 'extreme seekers' will go somewhere else.

That too, I mostly like to go up and camp, couldn't care less if the trails are hard or easy but changing it up a bit would keep it interesting. On one of my trips up there last year we were on our way out and there was a row of 7 or so trailered rigs lined up by the Forest Lake trail head and it makes me wonder what they get out of it of it's not challenging for them.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
That too, I mostly like to go up and camp, couldn't care less if the trails are hard or easy but changing it up a bit would keep it interesting. On one of my trips up there last year we were on our way out and there was a row of 7 or so trailered rigs lined up by the Forest Lake trail head and it makes me wonder what they get out of it of it's not challenging for them.

Believe it or not, us "trailered rigs" aren't always in it for the adrenaline rush :) You can expect to see our TJ up there a few times this summer.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Believe it or not, us "trailered rigs" aren't always in it for the adrenaline rush :)

x2.

But I usually avoid AF Canyon. As beautiful as it is, just way to many people up there anyways. Most of the time I head out on the trail to get away from people. :p

sixstringsteve

I like mineral basin, it's not usually as busy as forest lake. but i agree. It's crazy how busy it's been up there the past few years.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
The trails aren't the problem for me... it's the confusion that breaks out the moment the guy in the Civic realizes he's made some poor choices once he reaches the switchbacks.

DAA

I think it has been probably 20 years since I've been up AFC. Maybe longer? It's been that long because I was so disgusted with how crowded it was THEN.

I can't even begin to imagine what a cluster it is these days...

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I just got off the phone with the PG ranger district, and the receptionist seemed like it was her first day on the job. So take this with a grain of salt.

She said that the road up to silver lake flatts is open, but all of the trails are closed, except for foot traffic.

I asked when the alpine loop was expected to open and she said the middle of next week. i asked when the trails would be open and she said hopefully next weekend (a week from tomorrow). Let's keep our fingers crossed.

01XJ

We made a run up AF tonight and we asked the lady at the gate when everything will be open and as Steve mentioned Silver lake is open and the Alpine loop she said they are shooting for this weekend and as far as Mineral basin goes it will be a LONG time she said she said to plan on several weeks before they even think of opening it:-\ So we ran up to Silver Lake and it was beautiful up there the lake is full and we ran in to no snow. how ever there is still a TON of snow in the upper mountains up there and as you look over towards Mineral Basin there is a ridiculous amount of snow over that way:eek: The gate up silver lake was closed as expected and the road going across the river pretty much doesnt exist anymore it has been washed out pretty bad and looks like it will take some pretty good repairing to fix it. Oh and we ran in to this beautiful creature on our way home. He was drinking out of a puddle on the side of the road down in tibble fork parking lot:cool:
DSC00554.jpg

sixstringsteve

Here's the number you can call:

US Forest Services Ranger Station
390 North 100 East
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062-2350
(801) 785-3563

sixstringsteve

Last time I talked to them, they were more concerned with the rockfalls and trail damage than they were about snow, mud, or high water levels.