Kids dirt bike options??

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My 6 year old girls have been riding their pw50's for 4 years now, and they are ready for some more power. We ride once a week and grandmas house on a track we built, plus on all camping trips. The bikes are struggling really hard to get up and over some of the hills. I am going to give them a good carb cleaning and adjustment to see if we can get some more power out of them.. But if not, we will need new bikes. I have to be pretty specific about what we get next for them..
Because we ride in a residential lot often, I don't want the loud pipe sounds of the newer ktm 50's.
I am not against a 4 stroke bike, but prefer not to have them. It seems a small 4 stroke is even more temperamental than a big bike :)
The girls are fitting on the pw50's fine, but are getting a little big for them. I like the smaller bike for them for weight and control reasons.. But a bigger bike would be fine.
Gears would be ok, but a clutch would probably a little too hard to learn.

Name brand is a requirement (no cheap Chinese bikes)

What options should I be looking at?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I honestly would look at something like a CRF90 or KLX 110. They are not temperamental like some of the bigger 4 strokes......these bikes take very little maintenance and as long as you keep a clean filter, good gas and occasionally change the oil, they will run forever.

jeeper

I've been reading about the TTR-50's tonight. They are 2.8" higher set height, have more power, electric start, shift, and no clutch. Real similar to the PW80.. but slightly smaller.
Price is killer :( People still want $1,000 for a 10 year old TTR, a new 2015 would only be $1,500. (x2 though, for both girls)
I think I may take them to the dealer tomorrow just to throw some legs over the bikes.
My wife has the TTR230, and it's been a fine bike to have.
If I keep with the yamaha theme, it will make it easier to talk my wife into the new yz250x for myself!

I thought about going to a 60/65/90cc bike, but it seems like the girls may still be a little small.

jeeper

I just took the kids to see some TTR50's. They were a perfect fit. $1399 new, or about $1,000 for good condition on ksl. I think we will go new, but wait for a month or so until the 2016's hit the floor.

rholbrook

I just took the kids to see some TTR50's. They were a perfect fit. $1399 new, or about $1,000 for good condition on ksl. I think we will go new, but wait for a month or so until the 2016's hit the floor.

Let me see if I can save you any money. There probably is nothing in them at that price but I will check.

Kirk

I have had 3 boys start with crf50, then move to a crf70 - I have had the 70 for almost 10 years - I have only had to change the oil.

Vonski

nothing to see here...

I had a TTR50 at one time. Great little bikes with only 2 issues (however, these shouldn't keep you from buying one).

1. Be prepared if the battery ever dies, since push starting is not an option. Nothing more disappointing to a kid than a bike that won't start.
2. For what I assume are environmental reasons, the crankcase breather hose leads to the air box. All it takes is your kid laying it down once or twice and that small air filter will be saturated with oil and it will run crappy or won't start at all. Just run a longer tube up under the tank up by the head tube. Throw a couple loops in there for good measure if ya want as well. Yamaha knows all about it and how lame the design is (especially for a little kid's bike), but their hands are tied.

jeeper

I had a TTR50 at one time. Great little bikes with only 2 issues (however, these shouldn't keep you from buying one).

1. Be prepared if the battery ever dies, since push starting is not an option. Nothing more disappointing to a kid than a bike that won't start.
2. For what I assume are environmental reasons, the crankcase breather hose leads to the air box. All it takes is your kid laying it down once or twice and that small air filter will be saturated with oil and it will run crappy or won't start at all. Just run a longer tube up under the tank up by the head tube. Throw a couple loops in there for good measure if ya want as well. Yamaha knows all about it and how lame the design is (especially for a little kid's bike), but their hands are tied.

People on internet are saying push starting DOES work.. My pw80 can also be pushed.. When in gear, it turned the motor over..
However, you have life experience, and I am just internet reading.. Ill have to give it a try..

They are pretty much giving it to you. They are probably making money on a setup or doc fee plus hope you buy gear from them.

That's good to hear. Thanks for checking!

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
I have a ttr50 and a ttr110. The kids love them. Honestly I mob around just as much if not more than the kids. You're more than welcome to swing by the house and your girls could give them a try.

jeeper

So, my brother has talked me into giving it a good go at making the PW's run better before I spend a bunch of money on new bikes. :(

I pulled the air filter off of one, and it has been soaked with gasoline/oil. What causes this to happen? Is the bike running too rich?

jeeper

Does it have a breather hose feeding into the airbox? It's likely happening when they get dumped over repeatedly
No hoses into the air box. Bike hasn't been tipped for a while. I raised the needle in the carb last ride though, so I was wondering if that had an effect.