Kids hydration packs

Corban_White

What do you use? My kids (6 and 8 years old) both have the camelbak mini mule. It is a great pack but sometimes (mostly for my 8yo boy) it is too small, both in water capacity and jacket/snack capacity. I'm considering the camelbak scout which will fix half the problem but the bladder size could still be an issue on some trails. Anything better that I should be considering? I've looked at the smaller adult ones but the torso is way to long to even be close to fitting either of them.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
When my oldest was nine I gave him a pack big enough to carry all his own water and snacks and coat, it got too heavy for him on longer hikes. I feel like at that age, it's enough for them to go through the motions of carrying everything, and the spare water and extra snacks and such should live in Dad's pack.

He's thirteen now and carries his own load just fine.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
What if you used a good fitting day pack and put the water bladder in it? Then you would have room for the jacket and snacks. If the hydration capacity isn't enough throw another water bottle in the pack and refill the bladder as needed.

Corban_White

What if you used a good fitting day pack and put the water bladder in it? Then you would have room for the jacket and snacks. If the hydration capacity isn't enough throw another water bottle in the pack and refill the bladder as needed.
I'm not opposed to this. What good fitting day packs do you recommend?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Unfortunately, we just took the kids in and tried a million packs at a million stores until we found the right one.