km2 vs mtr

1993yj

Been running BFG Muds for years with no complaints. I know that in the past those who drove on the streets much preferred the KMs over the MTRs due to faster wear on the MTRs, but can't say for sure on the current versions of either tire.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I used to hear taht all the time - that the MTR's had a short life. But I _NEVER_ rotated mine (except on the rocks) and got 2-3 times what others were saying they got out of theirs. The common thing that I heard though is "and I rotated them religiously every X miles". My guess is they had them rotated so often, they never realized their alignment was off - which will wear out a tire faster than normal. I never rotate mine, and I can tell pretty darn quick if my alignment is out. Then I can fix/adjust it and the tires will wear correctly again.

snowboard3r411

I have driven MT/R's from the highest altitude trails of CO to the deserts of UT to the door handle-deep swamps of FL. In my opinion the MT/R could quite possibly be the best tires conceived by mankind for off roading.
x2 i well never buy another type of tire ever again the mtr is the best for any terrain

neagtea

Supporting Member
I think either one will do you good. It looks like the KM2 will roll up more miles. A good friend has ruined 2 sidewalls on the 40" MTR. From what I have seen the Goodyear hooks up a little better

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think either one will do you good. It looks like the KM2 will roll up more miles. A good friend has ruined 2 sidewalls on the 40" MTR. From what I have seen the Goodyear hooks up a little better

The Kevlar 40" or the older style? (my Kevlars are starting to work quite well lately)

sixstringsteve

I've had 2 sets of km2's, and 1 set of the OLD MTRs. Hands down the KM2s are way better than the old MTRs in my experience. My buddy and I had equal tacomas in Moab. He had 35" MTR-Kevs, and I had 35" KM2s. Both tires are EXCELLENT tires. I climbed a few things he couldn't, but that could have been due to little things like tire pressure (even though we ran the same pressure), and driving style (I have an auto, he had a stick).

That being said, I have heard and witnessed that the MTR-kevs need to be aired down lower than a normal tire to bulge. My buddy was at 10 psi, and it was barely bulging. Supoosedly it's harder to blow a bead on a MTR-kev because of the design, and the tire flexes different across the tread.

I don't think you could go wrong with either tire. That being said, there's a reason I keep buying KM2s. They're the best tire I've ever driven, and they're not just a little better than the rest offroad, they're amazing. Granted, I've never owned an MTR-kev. If the KM2s weren't around, I'd be running the MTR-kev.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
.... They're the best tire I've ever driven, and they're not just a little better than the rest offroad, they're amazing. Granted, I've never owned an MTR-kev. If the KM2s weren't around, I'd be running the MTR-kev.

Wow, that's quite a strong statement. Personally, I've never been impressed enough with ANY BFG tire I've owned or been on the trail with to buy another. To each their own. I've burned up two sets of the old MTRs on my XJ and now have the Kevlars on my "Jeep" hoping to make a more streetable rig out of it. The Creepy Crawlers I had on before the MTRs were LIGHT YEARS ahead in toughness and traction but the MTRs are starting to work pretty good after a year (granted that's not a lot of miles).

Oh, and I did burp some air on a bit of nasty sidewallish obstacle (no beadlocks) but was able to drive out of it without significant air loss.

sixstringsteve

I should clarify that the BFG KM2s are head and shoulders above any other offroad tire I've tried. I haven't tried them all.

I hate BFG A/Ts, but I LOVE the KM2s.

Bart

Funny I haven't been on a set of either although I've owned a set of both at one time or another. Not sure which one I'll try if/when I go to 37s. I've had great luck with both brands and have loved the BFG ATs on my tow rigs. Watching this thread with interest.