Knolls Knockout Sat March 28

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Who is planning on going? I registered online last week.

8618502.jpg

PDF here http://usraracing.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/8/3/7883188/2015knollsflyer.pdf

Should be awesome.

Cascadia

Undecided
I did none of the above. Especially have fun. I will be hanging back with you for Knolls next year James. I would've rather done Mesquite again. Most importantly though is I'm uninjured and I finished. No idea how I did. Didn't bother looking at results.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I liked the course. The sand was tough. I got a great start and pulled 2nd or third through all the novice riders, caught the amatuer wave and pulled a large portion of the field for a really fast 1st lap despite a stall that killed some time. On the second lap the course degraded very very rapidly.... it was all ruts and loose sand and oddly spaced whoops. finished ok, but wasted lots of time. The climbs were awesome, the rocky ravine section was fun. And best off all: all my friends were safe and almost all of them finished, except Terrin, who lost a tire 5 miles into the 1st lap.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Yep. I haven't raced a ton but it was by far my worst performance and the worst course I've ridden. It was my 16th race.

If moto tally is correct you did better than you think...5th in your bracket out of 15.

Knolls isnt fun in my opinion, i worked saturday and rode the white hills today...it was awesome.

Cascadia

Undecided
I placed better than I thought then. I thought back and i didn't have a terrible race other than a few hill climbs where people crashed in front of me which caused me to miss the climb. Those really take a lot out of you and cause you to ride sloppy. And a crash at the start where someone t boned me. Thought I broke my leg when it happened but my forma boots saved me. Thanks Paul!

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
He finished a loop so he wasn't considered a dnf according to Moto tally. But yes he was pretty bummed with his bike blowing up. Especially right after a full rebuild.

djgardner

I was fully planning to race this one...I've never raced it before, never liked the terrain, but figured I had to try it at least once...and the cards just didn't fall into place and I couldn't make it.

Since I'm never racing for points-and only hit 5-8 races/year...I pick and choose my favorite races (Rhino Rally, all the enduro's, all the cherry creek races, Price...Knolls is definitely NOT on that list) I'd rather go ride cherry creek or hobble creek, or even in Price (not where the race was) than spend a ride day in sand whoops all day.

I'm on the fence about racing Firebirds and Sageriders NHHA this year though...the courses the past few years have been almost exactly the same and are all whooped out and just not that much fun. I know that the clubs are forced to race the same courses each year due to the stupid BLM and Raptor nests (as its expensive to have someone come out survey the nest to make sure they don't race within a mile of them or whatever), but for the occasional racers like me, it takes those races off my "must race" list-which is unfortunate, because the clubs deserve support...but with limited number of ride days I want to ride some place fun (selfish, I know).

I hoping to hear from the clubs that the courses are different this year...HOPING that's the case. I usually bring 4-8 guys down with me for firebirds (and that is the only race they do every year...but they love Cherry Creek, and its only an hour and a half away, and is usually around 70 miles-short-so I can get them to go), but they've all said if the course isn't different than the past couple years they aren't coming. So I REALLY hope, the BLM will loosen the reigns just a bit and give the clubs a little more flexibility in picking their courses (but I'm not planning on it).

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The Firebirds & Sage Riders courses will be different this year. I know the Firebids will be running a loop that goes further east than they have the last few years. Loop 1 for Sage Riders will be similar but different than least year. Loop 2 is the loop I designed for last year's race bit could not use. It has a lot of stuff that had not been used for quite awhile and has some pretty technical sections.

I think you will like it.

djgardner

The Firebirds & Sage Riders courses will be different this year. I know the Firebids will be running a loop that goes further east than they have the last few years. Loop 1 for Sage Riders will be similar but different than least year. Loop 2 is the loop I designed for last year's race bit could not use. It has a lot of stuff that had not been used for quite awhile and has some pretty technical sections.

I think you will like it.

That's good to hear Paul. Thanks for the info.

For some reason I'm a little scared of a loop you designed that has some "pretty technical sections"... I think your definition of "pretty technical" and mine are vastly different. I get the feeling "Pretty technical" for you is "it'll take three tries, and I'll have to push my bike up it". lol

I hope you're healing quickly and painlessly.