Kolob Reservoir- who's been?

UTAHCRUISER

Supporting Vendor!
I was just wondering if any of you all have ever been to Kolob Reservoir and explored the area surrounding it? I've been checking out that area on topo maps, and there looks to be quite a few dirt roads that surround the reservoir. It looks like the main road that goes there starts in Virgin and cuts through a small section of Zion Park. Any idea as to whether you have to pay an entrance fee to the park if you drive through there?

The reservior sits at about 8,000 feet. If any of you have been there, what time of year was it and what were the weather and temperature conditions like? What is the scenery like? I assume that it's gotta be beautiful being that close to the Park. Any good wheelin' to be had in the immediate area?

I've got some friends from Colorado that are coming out here at the end of May, and we were thinking about maybe heading there and checking the area out. I dragged them up to Dinosaur National Monument at the same time last year, and it was still pretty chilly and rained like crazy the last day. They are going to demote me from tour guide status if I take them somewhere cold again this year...

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Chad

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been thru there, I came up from Cedar City. It was Fall actually and it was beautiful! I took my Dodge and all I saw was a graded dirt road, I don't know that there's any wheelin up there at all.

It's pretty much typical high-country mountains, pine trees & aspens. If I remember correctly, I drove into & then out of the park without paying at one point, then had to drive thru the park again to get back to 1-15... I think. It's been awhile since I took the drive.

I think there's a chance that you'll run into some snow that hasn't melted yet, if your headed up there at the end of May. As for the weather, I'm not sure... it could be real mild or real nasty, that's a questionable area IMO.

UTAHCRUISER

Supporting Vendor!
Thanks for the info Greg. Does the area around the lake have any of the sandstone formations that are all over the place further south, or does that stuff pretty much stop at the border of Zion Park?

Thanks!
Chad

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I enjoy Kolob every now and then because thats the only place in Southern Utah I can go and not see any dang red rock and to get out of the heat in San Jorge. But yeah, it doesn't open till the snow melts, which is usually pretty late. The drive up from Virgin is by far one of the prettiest highway drives in Utah. I used to go up there in the spring, summer, and fall to camp around the lake and fish. Whenever I've gone, the weather was always incredible. If you go around the lake there are some cool (farily well maintained) dirt roads to explore that go up on top of cedar mountain that are very pretty as well.
I don't know much about any serious fourwheeling to be done up there since most of the land and mountain roads are private. If you go when it's snowy/muddy though it might be kinda challenging.
If you are in the Hurricane area, I think the drive to Kolob itself is well worth it.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Kolob

Mostly private, but it is nice in the summer and fun wheeling around places to check out etc..Here is a pic from a month or so ago.

Attachments

• !CID__Picture003.jpg
    !CID__Picture003.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 16

UTAHCRUISER

Supporting Vendor!
Very cool! Thanks for the information guys! It sounds like a pretty cool place to go, although perhaps not at the time of year that I was thinking of going...
You look pretty stuck there Samuraiman! Looks like some good cold fun.

thanks again,
Chad

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Stuck, look a little closer that is the trusty ford stuck there! I am glad I wasnt stuck we needed a ride home. We were driving in the shoulder because the lake is to the right AHHHHHHHHH

That is the one with the 5.3 vortec, 4L 60 E and the atlas two. Guess what happened the ball joints fell off and it was buried. We winched it up on the road and threw the whole knuckle and everything in the back of the sammy and headed for town. WHAT FUN. We have quite a few searches up there with the SAR and makes it pretty exciting when it is covered in Snow.