ktm 525 exc?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
single track technical trails, moab stuff, to and from them.

Sand dunes on occasion.

Some small jumps.

It might be fun to ride around town with a bike that's more road friendly.

There are bikes that are better suited to this type of riding. The 525 is a pretty heavy bike and would be a hand full in the sand without momentum on your side. Definately not a bike for jumping. Would be ok in Moab and great around town with a street legal kit.

rholbrook

There are bikes that are better suited to this type of riding. The 525 is a pretty heavy bike and would be a hand full in the sand without momentum on your side. Definately not a bike for jumping. Would be ok in Moab and great around town with a street legal kit.

Echo. You wouldn't like it anyway. They are a beast as far as raw gunt power but not any where nimble enough for you.

Tonkaman

Isn't this what Grant rides? He shreds it up on his! I think it will do everything better than your current bike plus be street legal

Cascadia

Undecided
Grant blows my mind everytime I ride with him. He man handles that bike. I think it's a sweet bike. I'd rock one. I'm sure once you learn what you've got some of the negatives will go away.

YOUKNOW

No.

Bigger isn't always better. A street legal 450 is great for these types of things. You don't want a giant pig of a bike under you in Moab or in the dunes. It would be great on the street though. I like the other suggestions of a street legal CRF with a recluse.
Also another item to think about is parts. Buying big 5 company (KTM, CR, RM, etc.) with a 450 or 250 will give you access to find parts easier with a break down. May take a while to have 525 parts shipped in.

Just my .02

single track technical trails, moab stuff, to and from them.

Sand dunes on occasion.

Some small jumps.

It might be fun to ride around town with a bike that's more road friendly.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
From what I've gathered the 525 isn't much heavier than my bike (according to the weight thread less than 10lbs)

I enjoyed Grant's bike when I've ridden it, but it did feel like the weight was higher up in the chassis.

I guess I wish for a 6 speed or wide ratio 5 speed 450 with more snap than the wr's or the x's... there aren't many in my price range.

I love the snappy power of Derek's 450r versus Jon's 450x.

Tonkaman

I was referring to a street legal CRF that's my kinda ride! Honestly I think it would come down to how much time you want to spend on paved roads, particularly over 50 MPH. I wouldn't want do ride the Honda for more than a couple miles at that pace without swapping gears and compromising the dirt performance