ktm 525 exc?

rholbrook

With the purchase of a KTM525 comes the cost of maintenance. My two friends that own KTM525s are rebuilding them too often in my opinion so you need to be prepared for that. Parts are a lot more as well. One of them has low hours and already has a new top end and its smoking again, the other has been ridden a bunch and has had two top ends. I ride more than both of them put together and I have yet to rebuild my top end and only have had to adjust my valves once and thats because I changed cams. The 525s flat haul ass but in the dunes, one of them takes his 250 because the 525 is just too much bike to toss around.

Th other guy has a 300 as well. He leaves the 525 in the trailer as a spare because he feels its too much bike on the trails. He likes the nimbleness of the 300.

Personally, the only KTM I would own is the 300. I want to ride my bike, I don't want to rebuild it every year or every other year. If you can afford to ride a new bike and get a new one every year then get a KTM and enjoy a new one every year, if not, stick with either a Yamaha or Honda. Yes, I do wish you could get a jap bike with 6 gears, but how often do you need it except for the highway and honestly, I don't want to ride that far on a hard seat anyway, atleast on the trails you will be standing.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
"riders of 250cc two-strokes are the last bastion of the grand old days. As the world veers towards a four-stroke future, only the hardest of the hard-core are still lashed to the mast of the SS Ring-Ding" -http://motocrossactionmag.com/

just get a 2t.. all the "snap" you need..

Off idle power is what I'm after. Not a light switch at 3000 rpm. ;)

Plus I think the broader RPM range of the 4t's is better suited to high speed runs (unless you add more gears).
Don't get me wrong; because your a much better rider than I am, it's just your 250 doesn't have the top speed I'm after.

Russ, you're always the voice of reason, if I go look at this CRF I'll have you come with me.

The 07 525 is sold.... but there's still an 06

rholbrook

"riders of 250cc two-strokes are the last bastion of the grand old days. As the world veers towards a four-stroke future, only the hardest of the hard-core are still lashed to the mast of the SS Ring-Ding" -http://motocrossactionmag.com/

Off idle power is what I'm after. Not a light switch at 3000 rpm. ;)

Plus I think the broader RPM range of the 4t's is better suited to high speed runs (unless you add more gears).
Don't get me wrong; because your a much better rider than I am, it's just your 250 doesn't have the top speed I'm after.

Russ, you're always the voice of reason, if I go look at this CRF I'll have you come with me.

The 07 525 is sold.... but there's still an 06

I can get you some seat time on a 525 if you want. My riding gang is headed to ride the Tetons out of Driggs Friday and Saturday but I have little league football for 2 more weeks then I am riding again.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
From what I've gathered the 525 isn't much heavier than my bike (according to the weight thread less than 10lbs)

I enjoyed Grant's bike when I've ridden it, but it did feel like the weight was higher up in the chassis.

Where the weight is in the chasis is a big factor in how the bike will feel. My 300 is not a lot lighter than some 4T, but it sure feels a lot lighter. Particularly in the areas where you have mentioned where you want to ride the bike. Not the best comparison, but I used to get wore out a lot quicker riding my WR in the tight trees and sand than I do on the 300. You would find the 525 to be a bike that requires a lot more muscle to ride.

rholbrook

Where the weight is in the chasis is a big factor in how the bike will feel. My 300 is not a lot lighter than some 4T, but it sure feels a lot lighter. Particularly in the areas where you have mentioned where you want to ride the bike. Not the best comparison, but I used to get wore out a lot quicker riding my WR in the tight trees and sand than I do on the 300. You would find the 525 to be a bike that requires a lot more muscle to ride.

Well said. Go to a dealer and just take a 4T off of its kickstand and move it back and forth, then do it on a 2T. Big difference when the weight is up high. What extra do you have above the crank on a 2T compared to a 4T? The 4T has a bigger heavier cylinder and head, cam chain, cam gears, cam(s), more oil up high and 4 or 5 valves. Also with the centrifical force of that extra movement, it creates a mas to move.

A 250 2T has similar HP and Torque to a 450 4T but the power on a 4T starts of idle and goes to the moon where a 2T starts at a much higher RPM which some argue gives the 4T an advantage especially for traction on the trails.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Makes sense. You're preaching to the converted.

Additionally RPM's are what ultimately translate to wheel speed. most 2t rev to 9500 max, whereas many 4t's go to 11500 rpm and allow a wider gear set or more gear overlap (which translates to real world usability) and more wheel speed (21% if given the same ratios).

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
gives the 4T an advantage especially for traction on the trails.

Makes sense. You're preaching to the converted.

Additionally RPM's are what ultimately translate to wheel speed. most 2t rev to 9500 max, whereas many 4t's go to 11500 rpm and allow a wider gear set or more gear overlap (which translates to real world usability) and more wheel speed (21% if given the same ratios).

Oh boy.. Now I have heard it all.. Where is that barf bag I had?? :rolleyes:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Don't you have a house to paint, a kitchen and bath to tile, chop down a jungle yard, and fix water damaged drywall.
I'm going to tell your wife on you.:rofl:

Then... you can come ride dirtbikes with me.

paint done, tile done.. Water line exploded and repaired (at house number 1)

jungle to do..

Water line and sheetrock (at house 2) to be done..

But I am moving through the list!

Caleb

Come borrow my 500 for a weekend. It rides nearly as light as my 300 did but has the 4T torque and power we all want. (Not that my 300 was lacking by any means) I have as much or more fun on my 500 then I have on any of my bikes. I'm gone this weekend, so it would be a perfect weekend to come grab it :) Maintenance is going to be a toss up on any of the 450s with the WR being the exception. The maintenance intervals are way longer on them. Personally, I'd take a 525 over a Jap 450…but that's just me :) Also, 95% of the parts on that 525 will be the same as a similar year 450, so finding parts is going to be piece of cake.