KTM parts interchange?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wondering about the interchange of parts like steering stabilizer, wheels, pegs from an '08 to '12-13... both 4 stroke bikes. I'm considering stepping up to either a 450 or 500 and would like to reuse my wheels, tubliss and tires, plus the stabilizer and pegs on the bigger bike and swap the parts to the other one. Anyone have knowledge about the interchange?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
There was a change in the rear wheel spacers somewhere around 12-13.....I am not sure which but know that to run my wheel on an older bike, you have to have spacers that are 2 different sizes. There was a slight difference in the mounting of the Scott's stabilizer that I took off the 08 to put on my 13.

Greg

Admin
Thanks Paul! Perhaps I'll just swap the TuBliss and tires, leave the wheels. If I can afford to pick up the new bike and put some of my parts on it, I'd love to save a little money.

B2-Bomber

All KTM full size MX bikes from 2003-2016 use the same wheels. There are different spacers, but the wheels stay the same. Footpegs interchange those same years. The pegs also swap over to LC8 bikes too

That's 100% fact. and the OEM numbers will change over the years so "creating a shopping cart" will mislead you. But they do interchange.

Caleb

Whenever I wonder about this same thing, I create a cart of aftermarket parts. This rules out the changing oem part numbers. I've never been wrong doing this. Buying parts for a '15 Husky has been a challenge as most mfg don't have that bike in their systems yet. I just but for the newest year 500xc-w. My GPR stabilizer is he same for pretty much all KTMs but the GPRs all replace the lower clamp, so that makes a difference. If you get the HDB for your new bike, you can get his lower Scott's mount, then that Scotts would transfer right over.

Fwiw, I 100% support your idea of getting a 500 :D. You'll love that bike, I can guarantee that. IMO, skip the exc and get the xc-w. You'll generally save a few bucks, not have a bike that's detuned, and not have any problems getting it remapped (I've heard dealerships can get fined or get their licenses yanked if they get caught flashing an exc, even in states the smog isn't required).

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Speaking of interchangeable KTM/Husaberg/Husky parts, there is a nice KTM wheelset with brand new paddle tire in the for sale section. ;)

Greg

Admin
Whenever I wonder about this same thing, I create a cart of aftermarket parts. This rules out the changing oem part numbers. I've never been wrong doing this. Buying parts for a '15 Husky has been a challenge as most mfg don't have that bike in their systems yet. I just but for the newest year 500xc-w. My GPR stabilizer is he same for pretty much all KTMs but the GPRs all replace the lower clamp, so that makes a difference. If you get the HDB for your new bike, you can get his lower Scott's mount, then that Scotts would transfer right over.

Fwiw, I 100% support your idea of getting a 500 :D. You'll love that bike, I can guarantee that. IMO, skip the exc and get the xc-w. You'll generally save a few bucks, not have a bike that's detuned, and not have any problems getting it remapped (I've heard dealerships can get fined or get their licenses yanked if they get caught flashing an exc, even in states the smog isn't required).

Thanks Caleb!

I'm very interested in the 500, but need to get good money out of the 250 to pull it off and even then, I'd probably end up with a used 500. Thanks for all the 500 info too, I've been doing a lot of reading on them and sat on a new one at the dealer. They don't look too big. :cool:

I have a good deal of $$$ tied up in the 250 and probably should just be happy with what I have, but that's so hard for me to do. :rolleyes:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Thanks Caleb!

I'm very interested in the 500, but need to get good money out of the 250 to pull it off and even then, I'd probably end up with a used 500. Thanks for all the 500 info too, I've been doing a lot of reading on them and sat on a new one at the dealer. They don't look too big. :cool:

I have a good deal of $$$ tied up in the 250 and probably should just be happy with what I have, but that's so hard for me to do. :rolleyes:

I don't know who is worse....you with bikes or Steve with trucks. Probably you since Steve has not done any significant vehicle purchase/build/sell in the last year.

Greg

Admin
I don't know who is worse....you with bikes or Steve with trucks. Probably you since Steve has not done any significant vehicle purchase/build/sell in the last year.

I like trying different things and want to improve my toys along the way... no single vehicle/bike is the perfect answer, but I keep looking. :cody:

Here's my debate with the 250... yes, it's not a 450 and a little soft on the bottom-end. I wish it did have more power down low, but it's really fine as is for most riding... I just would like more. HT Racing makes a 350cc engine for this bike and it runs $1900 with CNC head work. They did the footwork to help KTM develop the 350, so I'd say they know what they're doing. So the debate is to leave it as-is and be OK with less power, spend a BUNCH of money on rebuilding an engine that is fine or sell the bike, cut the losses and get something with more power that could be dual sported and ridden like a dirt bike.

Caleb

Thanks Caleb!

If you find yourself out here before you sell the 250, bring it, we'll swap bikes for the day and we'll go ride. :greg: Then you'll at least have a better understanding if the 500 is what you want. :)

Greg

Admin
If you find yourself out here before you sell the 250, bring it, we'll swap bikes for the day and we'll go ride. :greg: Then you'll at least have a better understanding if the 500 is what you want. :)

:rofl: I turned down a ride on the 500 at the dealership because I know better!

I'll see what happens and what I can do. ;)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've only ridden a 500 once, but I rode Grant's punched out 530 beast quite a bit it's obviously a different animal but similar enough. It feels like a compromise to me. It's hard to filet a fish with a butcher knife. Keep what you have and spend your free time on the bike like you have been....

And that's my voice of reason statement for the year. ;)

GAR

I've only ridden a 500 once, but I rode Grant's punched out 530 beast quite a bit it's obviously a different animal but similar enough. It feels like a compromise to me. It's hard to filet a fish with a butcher knife. Keep what you have and spend your free time on the bike like you have been....

yeah yeah, the voice of reason... :rolleyes:
It was a fun bike, definitely a compromise for certain types of riding, but it could handle pretty much anything you throw at it. It was a blast on open two tracks and dirt roads, power slides to no end. I would love to try a new 500 that's considerably lighter than my 525 was. I think it would be awesome for a trail bike that could slab it out a few miles.

I'm still loving my 200 xcw, but I might find myself back on a big bike some day

Greg

Admin

The 500 EXC ready-to-ride is actually 10 pounds LIGHTER than my old WR450 was... and I rode that thing all over. It would be around 20#'s heavier than my current 'light' 250... with gobs more torque, EFI, etc.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
That's true the newer 500 felt nice... just less precise. It's not just the physical weight of the thing but the gyroscopic forces at play too. However, you are a bigger human. You're like me scaled up 1.5... :)

With what you ride I'm sure you'd get more use out of it.