Land Use Seminar

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Land Use Seminar 1/29 2-5pm

Since it seems the original thread about this topic has been deleted, I wanted to get the information back up.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.c...oeidk=a07e39fl29if0af83d6&oseq=a0210rfmkc5n8p

We are putting this together to help educate individuals and clubs on how to get effectively involved with land use issues. We will have representatives from clubs who have been involved for many years and I have confirmed that there will be at least one Congressional staffer present to talk about how to effectively engage in the political side of land use.

Space is limited, so register early.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
As of right now we have 115 registered with room for 200 in the room. It is great to see a lot of familiar names in the registration list.

Here is an outline for the meeting.

Communicating With Your Member of Congress: Pam Juliano with Congressman Matheson's office;

Ron Dean with Senator Hatch's office
Working with State Legislators and County Commissioners

Co-operating Agencies: What are they and why they matter: Mike McKee, Uintah County Commissioner

Constitutional Federalism and the role of the States within the Context of Public Lands: Bill Howell, South Eastern Utah Association of Local Governments

Land use planning: Process and public comment
Consistency Review: How to better use it: Mark Ward, Attorney, Senior Policy Analyst, Utah Association of Counties

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requests

Media Relations: Feeding the media beast: David Kirkham, Tea Party Activist

Club Organization and Activism: Join, participate, donate: Alan Peterson, Activist, Sage Riders MC Club

Missionary Work: Spreading the gospel of activism: Mike Swenson, USA-ALL

Legislative Briefing: Current legislative issues and things to come: Mike Swenson, USA-ALL

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
As of right now, we have 128 people registered and the new location that we moved to will hold 200 people. Feel free to come even though you have not registered.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Now that it is done, tell me what you you liked and what can be improved on.

Handouts, while many were busy scribbling notes, 10x more information could have been conveyed by passing out pre-prepared notes on the upcoming speakers. It could be as simple a a printed outline from their powerpoint presentation. We had several county commissioners there, why not a list of all the current county commissioners county by county? A name and number to each county road department? Obviously it all takes time to prepare but once the groundwork is laid future seminars will be that much easier.

Scenario Based Training: The info seemed well prepared on a speaker by speaker basis but there was little carry over on how this information could be bundled to actually allow the user to take on some projects. Come up with some realistic scenarios a ground level user is likely to encounter and use the information discussed to solve.

Example: Your driving up trail xyz and come up to the turn off for xxx trail and find a newly placed carsonite sigh stating 'no motorized vehicles'. What do you do?

From there document the steps the ground level user can take to find out why, who, when, where, etc. Start with the local land manager ie. BLM/FS. Move to the counties route inventory as discussed in the class, etc.

Spend some time detailing how individuals/clubs/groups/families can plan a service project, adopt a trail, form a cooperative agreement. Much time was spent detailing why strategic partnerships were important but little was done to detail how the audience could move forward on these matters.

Condense all of the political reps into one speaker. I feel that while they shared good information it wasn't several hours worth and we would have benefited far more by hearing more about the ways the CCOHV group has worked to document routes, make alternative plans, etc.

Overall it was an excellent showing for a first time event and can be refined and improved with future seminars.

On a side note I have to comment about Mike Swensons commentary at the seminar. He mentioned the 'rif' between himself (Usa-All) and the 4wd community based on his 'advice' that the public comment period is not the 'silver bullet' for fighting this stuff. Unless I'm totally off mark on this particular rif, it had nothing to do with us thinking we had a silver bullet rather that Usa-All wasn't even going to take aim at a target ;) Ie zero response to giant RMP's. The 4wd community did not start our approach at the comment period, we were there at the initial scoping 5-6 year earlier, in full force at the alternative scoping meetings and yeah I feel our users rocked the public comment period. Read the RMP decisions and when you see things like 'based on extensive public comment' as a reasoning factor for maintaining access, I call it a win. Granted these RMP's are all being contested by SUWA, but we fared out very well in the 6 RMP. Again, I might be off mark on this particular rif but that's the only one I'm intimate with. :D