Landcrusier Axles?

BryansToy

Toy Beater
Does anybody know if the axles from landcrusier would work under a Toy pickup? Also what years did the solid front axle go to? Was it late 90's? Any info would greatly help. Or if somebody knows of a place i should look.

Thanks Bryan

Klif01

Do I bother you?
1985 was the last year of the solid front axle from a toyota truck/4runner and 85 is the best year if you are looking to buy a new truck/4runner. I would recomend you look for a 1985 4runner or picup front axle, then get a truck newer than that for the rear because they have a larger housing and they are a little bit wider. I am not sure on your landcruiser question though. Sorry

theferg

DD for Life
Landcruiser axles front and rear have passenger side diff off-set and matching t-case output off-sets (except some reeeeaally old ones have centered rears). I believe mini's and runners are centered rears (and centered rear t-case output) right? Anyway, I don't know what width minis and runners axles are, but heres cruisers widths:

J40/45/55--1415 mm front, 1400 mm rear
J60/62--1485 mm front, 1470 mm rear
J80--1534 mm front, 1539 mm rear

Anyway, you asked if axles from Landcruisers will work under a toy pickup and to that I say, that depends on how much work you want to do. If you want them to just bolt up, it's not gonna happen. If you wanna know anything more specific, ask away and I'll do what I can.

Edit: Oh and are you asking when mini's lost the solid axle front or when Cruisers lost the solid axle front? Cause if you meant Cruisers, they lost them with the introduction of the 100 series in 1998.

And I'm talkin' about USA Cruisers here. Other countries might be a bit different...

Last edited:

wort

frenchie
well. i dont know if you would want to put a cruiser axle under your minitruck for the front. Its overkill. those things are huge and some Landcruiser guys put minitruck axles under thier rigs for more clearance. They use the same birfilelds, so there is no real advantage there. but for the rear axle, you could use it if you had a land cruiser/ minitruck hybrid transfer case (see toybox @ marlincrawler.com) THAT would be awesome.

theferg

DD for Life
Actually the 80 series front has the smaller ~8 inch ring gear and larger birfs than older cruisers and minis. I've heard of alot of people doing SA swaps on minis/runners using the 80 series front axle. You may end up with an electric locker to boot! Main drawback is they're pretty spendy... Right about cruiser axles being heavier than mini axles too.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by BryansToy
Does anybody know if the axles from landcrusier would work under a Toy pickup? ...

Yes and no... front will fab in pretty simple... Rear landcruiser axles are offset, so not gonna fly with the centered t/c output on the mini-truck. What are you trying to acheive with the swap? Strength, width, SAS?

BryansToy

Toy Beater
I was asking to see if it was possible to fit those under mini mainly because I am having a hard time finding a solid front from a mini. I just thought that if I used a landcruiser axles I would have more years with the a solid front and like you said a locker with some luck. I have heard that the rear is offset and I wasn't sure if that was true so now I know that it is. I trying to get a sas under a 87 ex-cab. I been trying to get a 85 or later parts truck and make a custom rig with a long bed or ex-cab frame. But that has been hard to find. Then I thought that I could use a landcruiser front that is solid and rear. Length how much longer are the lancruiser front compared to the 87 toy rear? J80--1534 mm front, 1539 mm rear. What is 87 rear in mm? I know that 86 and newer rears are longer that the 85 mini's. Can I put just the front from a landcruiser?
Thanks for all the info it has helped

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by BryansToy
...Can I put just the front from a landcruiser?
Thanks for all the info it has helped

Sure, but you will lose ground clearance, be more expensive to gear/lock. It it will also take more fab work. Using a mini front-end, you just SAS the truck and use the existing axle spring perches. Cruisers came OEM SUA so you would ahve to cut them off and reweld them on top, with the correct spacing. Also, becasue the cruiser diff is much larger, the spring pad may not rest on the flat part of the axle.. you may be required to get custom with the perch.

What year of cruiser axle are you looking into? It will also make a HUGE difference.

BryansToy

Toy Beater
Well I not sure if I want to do that much fab work mostly because I lack the skill. It sounds like it might be more money than I have. When my wish comes true I would love to have J80. But for now I have a mini.

Thanks guys for the advise I think I just might go with a 85 or older mini front.

Bones

I have a friend putting FJ80 axles with F/R elockers under his 4runner. He's leaving the rear offset aswell. It's a trail only rig so he's not to worried. Issues he is having with the front is that he opted to go leaves to save time and money, but is running into steering problems now and has to come up with some custom work there or call OTT which he is not one to do that kind of thing. Should be pretty trick.

6 piston front and 4 piston rear disk brakes will be nice as well.

Also you can send the bigger birfs to Bobby Long to do his magic.

Or go with the ever popular 60 ;)