Landlords - tenant questions

Pike2350

So I've owned a duplex for 15 years and had amazing luck with tenants....in fact, I've had very little turnover so I don't run into having to list them often...in fact I've listed it twice in that whole 15 years (mostly referrals)

My question is, I recently purchased another duplex and am having to list it. I've been contacted by someone who is on housing assistance. I feel like an asshole, but I feel kind of "elitist" if you will and feel that any tenant on housing assistance is probably not a great tenant and is likely lower class...and while this isn't always the case, I feel will be more damaging and troublesome as a tenant. I've heard both good and bad about having a tenant on assistance...so it's hard for me to get a grasp on it.

Does any of the landlords on here have any experience with these type of tenants?

There are other things that I don't love....like 2 young kids living in a up/down duplex with no yard. It's just something I've never thought of, but now that I am faced with it, I'm just not sure if my gut is something to listen to or if I'm being too judgemental.

xjtony

I think it could honestly go both ways. When we moved to Utah we had to rent our house out in Texas. Did the whole thing to get good tenants in with credit checks and the like. In the long run our "good" tenants were late on rent almost every month, and basically turned the house into a junk pile.

I have experience - I guess it is anecdotal, so take it for what it is worth. I would never knowingly rent to someone on assistance again. I hate too be classist and I hate to stereotype, but there are two kinds of people in this world - those who care and those who don't, and public assistance people, in general, don't care. I know there are exceptions to that, so maybe you could do a more extensive background and reference check.

My personal experience is that the public subsidy ran out, then they broke every door in the house off its hinges. They literally destroyed all of the carpeting. Luckily I was able to evict them, but that would be difficult in the current environment. It cost me thousands of dollars to repair the damage they did. I sold the house after that experience and am no longer a landlord.

Call it judgmental or whatever you want. Unless you own the property for the sole purpose of helping society, you need to look out for your own interests because nobody else is going to do that for you.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Be sure to read/understand any rules relating to financial discrimination. It should be a state law. After serving active military for 33 years, we rented many times and have seen different statutes from state-to-state. I have not reviewed Utah law (we bought), but you don't want to open things up to a lawsuit.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
There are other things that I don't love....like 2 young kids living in a up/down duplex with no yard.
Be very careful with statements like that one. Familial status is a protected class and you can get in trouble for discrimination. And no one wants discrimination law suits right now.

I have had many section 8 tenants. The last one stayed for 7 years before she decided to get an 'emotional support' dog, and I didn't renew her lease.
Most of my tenants have all been what above has been called lower class people.. so the section 8 wasn't much different. I have had a full range of tenants from absolute perfect to the kind that kicked in every door and broke every window on their way out. Section 8 hasn't been much different. There are good and bad. It's really individual based. I've has single moms with great kids. I have had single moms with horrible kids.

I think finding a good tenant really comes down to history and references.

Pike2350

I tried to google it and it seems there are a lot of housing assitance types out there....I'm unfamiliar with the difference.

I know I'm classist to some degree, but there are other things that turned me off from this person, but I'm trying to be fair and see if knowing they had housing assistance somehow influenced those feelings.

This person called first but I was unable to answer. I received a text about the unit and responded. After I responded, they sent 7 other texts within 15 mins. To me this is desperate...and I go by the rule that you text, then you wait. If it's an emergency you call. The last text was "????" They also called at around 7:30 this morning. Again, maybe I'm taking the housing assistance piece and creating a persona for this person....but between it all I'm just not the most comfortable renting to them. HOWEVER, I also realize that this may be something I have to deal with a little more in the future.

My other rental is higher priced then this one and I think falls outside the current subsidy range for the apartments of their size, so that may be why I haven't had much there.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Do you ask for references?

Also, how much money can you ask for to get in a lease? While stationed at the Pentagon, we rented a house in VA. They required first and last month's rent up front plus a hefty security deposit. If you have animals, you had an additional security deposit. We paid more than $9K to get in the lease.

Pike2350

I ask for referrals and will contact previous landlords and find out what kind of tenant they are. I have had a fair bit of interest in the apartment.

As for the amount to get into the lease. I ask for 1st and security deposit....I don't do last month upfront, although maybe I should in the future...but I don't think that's as common in UT.

J-mobzz

Texting is the new normal. So I wouldn’t judge someone for that being the preferred form of communication.

I’m not a landlord but I did have a friend tell me once when people come to look at his property to rent he walks then to their car and looks inside to see how clean it is. Clean people typically have clean cars. I thought it was a pretty clever idea for one of many vetting methods to finding a good renter.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Texting is the new normal. So I wouldn’t judge someone for that being the preferred form of communication.

I’m not a landlord but I did have a friend tell me once when people come to look at his property to rent he walks then to their car and looks inside to see how clean it is. Clean people typically have clean cars. I thought it was a pretty clever idea for one of many vetting methods to finding a good renter.

I do this as well.

Also, keeping in mind the VERY tight market right now, it would take a persistent person to be able to find a property. I also prefer the texting with tenants, as it leaves a trail of proof. No one can say 'he said she said' that way. almost all my communication is text or email.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
You never know what situation a person is. If I'm about to be booted to the street or maybe even worse, I'd be making sure I'm texting enough to give myself the best chance.

I no longer have my rental property, but my section 8 experience was a mixed bag. When she was there and on Section 8, it was just fine. Probably 3-4 years that way. I believe to remain on the program they have to do fairly regular checks on the property so they can't screw it up too bad. My problem came when my tenant had something happen, and to this day I don't know what it was, where she was not in the house. I'm pretty sure she landed in jail for something reasonably petty, but didn't have the means to get herself out. At that point her "niece" was staying there to keep an eye on the place. The niece was a straight up meth head, and did all of the methy things to the house. Punched through walls and doors, broke windows, etc etc. It cost me $20k to get it back in shape and cleaned up so that it didn't register on the meth-radar testing equipment so that it could be safely occupied. Thankfully, it barely tested above the 'allowable' threshold for meth, which means that it wasn't a prolonged thing and it was use not manufacturing.

Most of my other tenants were fairly short term, and the last guy that I rented to had just come out of jail and couldn't get approved to live in any normal place because of the nature of his violations. He was super "desperate" because he had job lined up and needed a place to stay right away. I called his references, and took him at his word and he was a superb tenant. In the end, I let him out of his lease 6 months early so he could move closer to his son that was moving to Ogden for military. My only regret is that had I held him to his lease, I would have been able to sell that house for probably 20k more than I did 6 months prior. But, it was the right thing to do. I don't want to be an asshole landlord that prevents a guy trying to get his life straight from being able to be near his kids.

So, long story short, avoid meth heads.

Pike2350

To clarify a few things.

I prefer text as well. What bothered me about this person is the rapid, repeated texts without a response....to me 6 unresponded to texts doesn't warrant another one of ""????" That's just rude and desperate IMHO. As I said, I believe you should wait for a response from a text...not pester the recipient with more texts asking if they got the last one (unless it's hours or days later....not 15 mins).

I did text them back and told them I was showing the property to others and they could come see it tomorrow night.....and that I have an application I can email over. I have not heard back from them. I had decided I'd at least see how they responded. IMHO, if they are desperate, they would've responded with something.....and maybe they still will...so we'll see.

I'm like you @Cody. I don't want to be an asshole landlord at all. In fact, I've had glowing reviews from my tenants and they always refer the next tenant to me. I've only listed 1 of the 2 sides of my 1st duplex twice (when I took ownership of it 15 years ago and 2 years ago)....and generally get a good feel from the people I meet. I have never kept deposit money between tenants......even though I do go through the units. I believe in wear and tear and am more lienent then a lot of landlords. My dad was/is the same way with all of his tenants. My general rule is, if you show the tenant respect and BE a good landlord, generally, they will show you respect and BE a good tenant.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I prefer text as well. What bothered me about this person is the rapid, repeated texts without a response....to me 6 unresponded to texts doesn't warrant another one of ""????" That's just rude and desperate IMHO.

Exactly. "Lack of planning on their part doesn't constitute an emergency on your part"

I'd say that's a pretty big red flag.