Leaf spring bolts

DewYota

so im trying to figure out a way to get my leaf spring bolts out of my leafs on a toyota 4 runner, this guy was trying to talk me into just cutting the leaf eyelet thing off because thats "the only way" i didnt believe him. is there any pointers anyone could give me so i can get them off in a timely manner with out having to use the torch? i tried the pry bar with an air gun unscrewing it and it didnt work....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
First off, go to NAPA and buy some 'PB Blaster'... it's 100x better than WD40, penetrates well & sticks where you spray it. Soak the nut & bolt once a day for a week or so... even a few days will do. Try again with the impact. If it doesn't break loose at that point, apply some heat to the nut with the torch. Try again... if it still won't break loose you may have to cut it off. A Sawzall might be easier than the torch.

ALF

SURE!?
A Sawzall might be easier than the torch.

Oh but alot less fun...Cutting metal with fire is what seperates us from the apes:bow:

Why are you trying to keep the old leafs? With alot of work its possible but is it worth it?

Another thing to try is just like greg said use a sawzall to cut the bolt then you can work on getting the rest out on a bench...once you get that far torch the bushings and replace them

DewYota

haha okay sorry i was a little vague on the details i guess.... i had the nut off and the bolt would just spin in place and wouldnt come out so i couldnt drop the spring. i want to keep the springs cause im not sure if the truck will sit level with new leafs and shackel combo

78mitsu

if you're in a pinch, burn out the bushing, and throw the bolt away. Just light it on fire (preferibly not in your garage, it makes tons of black smoke) let it burn for 4 or 5 minutes with the torch pointed at it, then push it out one side, bushings are cheaper then springs.

wr250

insert lame comment
ive always used a air hammer (150psi 3.25" stroke) to get these out. then i replace the bolt and bushings anyways (they usually get damaged if you have to get this extreme to remove the bolt).

DewYota

okay so burn it away. i already have new bushings and blots so im thinkin i'll try that. thanks guys, and i am wondering too how do monkeys cut metal???:confused:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
ive always used a air hammer (150psi 3.25" stroke) to get these out. then i replace the bolt and bushings anyways (they usually get damaged if you have to get this extreme to remove the bolt).

Air hammers are your friend :D Just run the chisel around the outer edge of the spring bushing. It's junk anyway if it's in that bad of shape.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
When I have had trouble getting these bolts out on my old rusty cjs I put a deep socket on the bolt head side, the nut back on the other side, then put a very big c clamp across the bolt, then tighten it as hard as I can. Then use a big hammer and tap on the clamp a few times, tighten it some more, then tap it again. Then repeat. It is slower than the torch but usually works.

Verceingetorix

bushing

Torch is the only way to go! I did it once with a 1/2" hand drill on one set of YJ's it took forever. Drilled out the bushing and then used a saw to cut out metal eyelet sleeve.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
we torched some bushings just last weekend.. works great... we reused the bolts for the rear shackles, so it got messy when i had to wire wheel the rest of the molten rubber off... ;)

-Jason

DewYota

oh and anyone tryed this burning method on a toyota? i just thought about it my gas tank is another reason i cant get the bolt out and so using a torch is kinda sketchy, so i cant use a hammer to hit it and to torch it i have to torch towards the tank:eek:

Caleb

oh and anyone tryed this burning method on a toyota? i just thought about it my gas tank is another reason i cant get the bolt out and so using a torch is kinda sketchy, so i cant use a hammer to hit it and to torch it i have to torch towards the tank:eek:
I think the tank situation is worse on Jeeps (never looked at a toy though) but it's so close on Jeeps that from the factory you have to cut the bolts off because they go in before the tank does at the factory and the tank is so close the bolts can't come out with the tank there usually. Just make sure you have a full tank of gas and you should be fine if you're careful.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee

for that bolt... sawzall the nut end off(closest to the tank) and work with it from there..