Let’s talk branded titles

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Anyone have experience with branded titles?

truck prices are absolutely silly right now. We are wanting to upgrade our F-350 to a long bed.

I found one that would fit the bill but alas...branded title.

makes the price a little more reasonable.
It was a drivers fender collision. Air bags didn’t deploy, no frame damage they say. Looks like it’s fixed right.

financing?

insurance?

Just curious here

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have worked a lot with salvage titles and for a tow rig I would not do it. Salvage title repair guys are super good at hiding issues its super scary. (I have seen them wire in resistors into air bag harnesses and seatbelts to get the airbag light to go off Instead of replacing them) also seen lots of frame issues get bondoed and painted well enough you don't notice on an inspection.

So my take on it is this, if my primary use is to beat it up offroad then salvage is fine. If I want a nice vehicle and it needs to be reliable for the life of the vehicle I'm staying away.

Do you have the VIN nu.ber for the truck?

I've owned branded/salvaged vehicles before. Typically a bank won't finance full value of one and resell value is hurt as well as ease of resale - you have a more limited audience. Those are the only issues I know of if it was fixed properly.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have worked a lot with salvage titles and for a tow rig I would not do it. Salvage title repair guys are super good at hiding issues its super scary. (I have seen them wire in resistors into air bag harnesses and seatbelts to get the airbag light to go off Instead of replacing them) also seen lots of frame issues get bondoed and painted well enough you don't notice on an inspection.

So my take on it is this, if my primary use is to beat it up offroad then salvage is fine. If I want a nice vehicle and it needs to be reliable for the life of the vehicle I'm staying away.

This is my take on this.

RockChucker

I’d tend to agree with @skippy. My truck is a clean title but clearly has been in a wreck. The bed has bondo all over. I’ve had good luck with the truck otherwise though. Really if you can see where the damage was in the form of pics of the damage you can make a more informed decision. Really would depend on the damage for my to make a decision. I.e. if the only damage was the bed, might not be a bad choice.

stimmie

I’ve owned a few branded title vehicles. Banks have always loaned what I needed them to. Pictures of before/after have helped to know any issues you may run into down the road. I’ve usually discounted them when I sell them since they have a rebuilt title. I’ve heard insurance won’t pay out as much in an accident, but have zero first hand experience since I haven’t had any accidents. Sometimes it doesn’t take much to total a vehicle. Also, many clean title vehicles have been in worse accidents yet never show up on a carfax report. My brother had an Acadia that had a clean carfax and title. Airbag light was on so he did some checking on things. After finding an unplugged wire under the seat he thought he solved the problem. Light was still on. Later he had to do something requiring taking out the glove box. He foiling out he was missing an airbag 😳. Also he found a receipt from the repair shop that detailed the damage that wasn’t shown on the carfax. So really you just never know.

ChestonScout

Asking for pics is an excellent idea!

ya I think I agree with all that. I’m nervous about it but dang it’s pretty clean.
I don’t have the VIN but could definitely get it

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I had a Subaru a few years ago that had a salvage title. The lot flooded when it was brand new.. not sure the extent of the damage but it had 100k on it so I figured anything serious would have popped up by then.

America first had no issues financing it. They didn’t seem to care at all. I sold the car for the same price I bought if for a few years later. I’d do it again IF it was a car I knew would hold its value branded title or not. Just my thoughts..

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I’ve heard insurance won’t pay out as much in an accident, but have zero first hand experience since I haven’t had any accidents.

True story, I had a 93 Dodge Cummins it was a salvage title. The 16 year old driving a mini van that decided she wanted to make her minivan into a C shape when she turned left in front of me doing 45mph lost me a lot of money when her crappy insurance didn't want to pay crap for my prior to the accident perfectly good truck.

ChestonScout

Interesting and crappy!

Called my insurance to see what they had to say.
They Will insure no problems with normal rates but they said it would be up to the Adjuster to determine the actual value if there ever was an accident. Book value goes out the window
I’m sure any adjuster would be on my side right?

😂

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Interesting and crappy!

Called my insurance to see what they had to say.
They Will insure no problems with normal rates but they said it would be up to the Adjuster to determine the actual value if there ever was an accident. Book value goes out the window
I’m sure any adjuster would be on my side right?

😂

I've debated with adjusters in the past. It was pretty easy to pull up a handful of suitable replacement vehicles on KSL and prove the value of my vehicle.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've debated with adjusters in the past. It was pretty easy to pull up a handful of suitable replacement vehicles on KSL and prove the value of my vehicle.
Tried that as well, “we can’t find any comparable” yeah I know truck was a unicorn. Got them to double original offer but was still lowball. Hindsight shouldn’t have accepted and hired one of the 17,654 lawyers that advertise

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Google the Vin. Also most insurance auction houses keep photos of the vehicle presale so that can help sharpen your search.
I've bought and owned salvage title vehicles but I knew I was getting into based on the previous pictures and the length of time that I planned to keep the vehicle. I think it's fine provided you have a valid "get out plan," the numbers work and you feel comfortable with the extent of the repair.

Ask your lender what max loan to value they'll give on R/R title.

ChestonScout

Googled the VIN

found the copart ad and also found a blue star inspection report