Let's Talk Lawns

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I don't know if home depot is still renting trailers or not but you could check there. I am happy enough with the landfill mulch at $15 a yard. If I had more disposable money I'd consider buying nutri-mulch but I don't have the bankroll for that. I seem to remember that being like $35-40 a yard. Its good though with the chicken poop in it.

Houndoc

We are looking to redo our yard, focusing on lowering our water use (not going to assume this year means the drought is over.)

Any experience on low water lawns?

From the reading we have done so far buffalo grass, fescue and clover seem to be the main options.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
We are looking to redo our yard, focusing on lowering our water use (not going to assume this year means the drought is over.)

Any experience on low water lawns?

From the reading we have done so far buffalo grass, fescue and clover seem to be the main options.
My wife and I are planning on redoing all our landscaping over the next couple of years, so I've been going through all the stuff on Localscapes. Lots of good info for Utah specific, low water landscaping.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think you'd be better off from a saving water perspective to redesign your space than to just plant a different type of grass. Keeping lawn to specific usable areas rather than the typical default "and grass everywhere else" thing we've all done.

Change flower beds to drip irrigation, either in a grid for heavily planted areas or point source for areas a little more sparse.

Like Stephen mentioned, Utah water savers or localscapes (same thing) have good design principles that you could use to make a plan.

Houndoc

I think you'd be better off from a saving water perspective to redesign your space than to just plant a different type of grass. Keeping lawn to specific usable areas rather than the typical default "and grass everywhere else" thing we've all done.

Change flower beds to drip irrigation, either in a grid for heavily planted areas or point source for areas a little more sparse.

Like Stephen mentioned, Utah water savers or localscapes (same thing) have good design principles that you could use to make a plan.
Majority of the yard is already not lawn, could still reduce it some. Flowers, trees and veggie garden all drip systems.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Flowering cherry blossom is what google says

Maybe, but what I can see for all of the cherry blossoms online they have a poof ball type bloom. I think all of these were more leaf like.. but I wasn’t paying close enough attention, and was at a distance.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Redbud for sure. They look pretty cool while in bloom but the rest of the year are pretty "meh" in my opinion. I've got one in my park strip because my builder put in the CCR's that we had to alternate flowering pear and redbuds through the whole neighborhood.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I had a spot of about 200 square feet that was infested with grubs late last year. I was told to give it a couple of seasons and it would fill back in once the grubs were killed. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a patient person and simply cannot wait for a couple of years before my lawn fills back in.

So last week I was able to finally find some new sod from a guy who had some left over from his yard and I dug out the damaged lawn, hauled it off to the landfill and laid a couple hundred square feet of new sod in its place.

I figured with it being early in the season and the secondary water just being turned on last week now was the time to replace it so hopefully in a month or so it will be all filled in and looking good. The rest of the grass is just coming out of its winter slumber and starting to green up nicely.
yard1.jpg

yard2.jpg

yard3.jpg
yard4.jpg
yard5.jpg

yard6.jpg

The front yard on the other hand is looking fantastic this early in the season. I finally feel like the past 6 years of hard work bringing it back is paying off. My only complaint is that when I came home Friday afternoon from work I found that they dug holes in my park strips for fiber optics. I hope they put everything back and compact the dirt well enough I don't have low spots as it's taken me a few years of bringing it back after the original owners did their damn best to destroy the yard.
yard8.jpg

I know I say this every year, but I finally feel like I have removed all evidence of the original owners piss poor work and have finally brought the yard up to my standards and it looks as good as our old place's yard that we left behind.

Now I feel like I can mow the lawn and be at peace rather than frustration when I see evidence of the previous owner's half-assed work.

Mike

RockChucker

I had a spot of about 200 square feet that was infested with grubs late last year. I was told to give it a couple of seasons and it would fill back in once the grubs were killed. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a patient person and simply cannot wait for a couple of years before my lawn fills back in.

So last week I was able to finally find some new sod from a guy who had some left over from his yard and I dug out the damaged lawn, hauled it off to the landfill and laid a couple hundred square feet of new sod in its place.

I figured with it being early in the season and the secondary water just being turned on last week now was the time to replace it so hopefully in a month or so it will be all filled in and looking good. The rest of the grass is just coming out of its winter slumber and starting to green up nicely.
View attachment 159826

View attachment 159827

View attachment 159828
View attachment 159829
View attachment 159830

View attachment 159831

The front yard on the other hand is looking fantastic this early in the season. I finally feel like the past 6 years of hard work bringing it back is paying off. My only complaint is that when I came home Friday afternoon from work I found that they dug holes in my park strips for fiber optics. I hope they put everything back and compact the dirt well enough I don't have low spots as it's taken me a few years of bringing it back after the original owners did their damn best to destroy the yard.
View attachment 159832

I know I say this every year, but I finally feel like I have removed all evidence of the original owners piss poor work and have finally brought the yard up to my standards and it looks as good as our old place's yard that we left behind.

Now I feel like I can mow the lawn and be at peace rather than frustration when I see evidence of the previous owner's half-assed work.

Mike
Mike, how'd you get rid of the grubs? I think that is what has been wreaking havoc on my lawn. I've laid stuff down in past years that has made some improvement but it wasn't lasting.