Let's Talk Lawns

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I was running my regular honda mower on the 2nd tallest setting all summer I think. Second or third highest. I'll try and get to the middle or maybe one notch below middle by the end of the mowing season. You don't want to go too low too fast though. I think the suggestion is to not cut more than 1/3 the blade of grass at a time. So I mowed a week ago Monday or Tuesday at my summer height then lowered my mower and cut again on Friday. I'll mow again tonight on that lower setting then in another two mows or so I'll try and drop it again and see how things go.

I had to double cut it on Friday because it was long enough that it didn't mulch that well with one pass. My mower blade needs to be sharpened too so I'll try and do that after work before I mow tonight.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I had to double cut it on Friday because it was long enough that it didn't mulch that well with one pass. My mower blade needs to be sharpened too so I'll try and do that after work before I mow tonight.

Same here. I mow twice a week all season long but last the rain messed up my schedule so by the time I got it Friday night I thought I was going to have to hire a farmer to bring his swather in. :rofl: Ended up having to double cut mine as well so it was nearly dark before I was done with the mowing.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I'm a big fan of the IFA stuff but i dont follow their program really close.

I use Step 1 in the spring, Revive in the summer with a application of Weed Free Zone to knock back the late summer weeds and spurge. In the Fall I hit it with some Bountiful Earth Humate and Step 4 and some 46-00-00 pelletized Urea.

You can't screw up with the Humate or Revive. All of my plants, flowers and trees get a few Solo cups scattered on them.

I've started to cut it closer. I always bag it when I shorten it up. Then I usually mulch twice a week.

If you are not going to water and only rely on rain I'd definitely skip the urea and simply apply Step 4.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Reviving this thread...

When is the best time to lay sod, lawn nerds? I'm thinking the next couple weeks but need to finish prep and find sod. Any insight would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: I'm even interested in what kind of grass, preferred supplier, what fertilizer to put down beforehand etc. Gimme all the deets!

Last edited:

Pike2350

Reviving this thread...

When is the best time to lay sod, lawn nerds? I'm thinking the next couple weeks but need to finish prep and find sod. Any insight would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: I'm even interested in what kind of grass, preferred supplier, what fertilizer to put down beforehand etc. Gimme all the deets!
Following. I need to layout the sprinklers for the backyard, but hope to have sod in sometime in early spring.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reviving this thread...

Bone up on Starter Fertilizer now. Put some down right before you lay the sod, then more a week or two later, then another two weeks later. Starter Fertilizer will not burn your lawn.

RGB Sod farm in Erda is my choice for sod.

Agility Customs

Vendor
Bone up on Starter Fertilizer now. Put some down right before you lay the sod, then more a week or two later, then another two weeks later. Starter Fertilizer will not burn your lawn.

RGB Sod farm in Erda is my choice for sod.

its actually RWB but whatevs... :rofl:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think the best time for sod is when temps are consistently in the 60's. I'd also want the soil to dry out a fair amount before you try and put it down. I think we're still at least a couple weeks out and maybe closer to the end of the month. It'll take that long to come out of dormancy and start growing again.

I'm pretty sure all the suppliers around here will have a kentucky blue grass with rye mixed in. Its the most common thing around here because its a "cool season" grass.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
As you guys know, I am meticulous about yard care. I only want my trucks and trailers being parked on the cleanest grass possible.
I pulled out the lawnmower and aerator this evening.

I must have broken chickens, because they are not scared of anything. That lawnmower is running full throttle, and is incredibly noisy. She’s just hanging around checking everything out.

IMG_6109.jpeg

I got my custom weights added on the aerator.

IMG_6110.jpeg

Then I busted out the sunjoe thatcher and did the front lawn. as usual, photos don’t show depth very well, but that’s a pretty big pile from just a small area.

IMG_6111.jpeg

I was hoping to throw down some fertilizer, but now the weather is not calling for rain… And our water doesn’t get turned on until May 15 😕

Last edited: