General Tech lift

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
here's another one for ya: what is the difference between body lift and suspension lift? and which one is better?

thanks, Will

Jesser04

Body lift= you gain lift by raising the body off the frame with spacers.

Suspension lift= you gain lift in the suspension.

Question for you what the hell is a flying cave cow?

THSDragoon

which one is best for off roading?

oh, it is a cow that me and my sister came up with. you will think that we are on crack or something, but we're not so here goes: it is a cow that grows on a tree, and when it is fully ripe it drops off the tree, goes and finds a cave then it plants it's self in the ground and grows another tree. and as the name implies, some breeds also have wings. and they eat ice cream.

sixstringsteve

which one is best for off roading?

I'll just give you my opinion. I always stay away from body lifts, but some people swear by them.

A body lift will allow you to fit bigger tires under your vehicle. It doesn't change the suspension at all (which could be good or bad). It's kind of like platform shoes. They make you taller, but they don't really improve your running. All it does is put a big spacer between the body and frame, so the body of your vehicle sits higher. You don't gain any ground clearance (other than bigger tires).

Here's a pic that will help:
http://2bigbroncos.net/technical/Body_Lift/custom_lift.jpg

The yellow part is lifting the body above the frame.

A suspension lift will raise the suspension of the vehicle. It'll put more distance between the ground and your frame. If it's a good suspension lift, then it'll perform even better than stock, with better shocks, springs, ride, articulation, and other things. If it's a crappy one, it'll still lift your truck, you'll be able to fit larger tires, but it may not ride as good as stock.

Suspension lift:
http://image.minitruckinweb.com/f/1...a_tacoma_suspension_lift+front_suspension.jpg

taller springs, more travel, more ground clearance (and sometimes less droop).

So, if you were just trying to fit bigger tires under your truck, a body lift is the cheapest way to do it (unless you trim your fenders).

If you're trying to make the suspension more capable, and make the truck handle better offroad, then a good suspension lift would be better (but more spendy).

Remember to get good sliders before you get a good lift. http://www.rocky-road.com/trooperrockrail.html

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Tell me more about flying cows.

Looks like Steve handled your question pretty well. I agree with him about body lifts. I personally hate them. They can serve a purpose though and if you were to do a body lift I would go as small as you can.

sixstringsteve

You don't have to stay away from pirate 4x4, just don't post anything on there till you've been rockcrawling for a few years. They're pretty harsh over there, and they expect people to have a certain level of knowledge before posting. You'll learn a TON from pirate, but questions like these always bring out the nasty in everyone.

We're happy to help. How would this sport continue and grow if we were always at each others' throats? I'm sure you've already learned a lot in the past week. One of the awesome things about this sport is that you can always learn more, whether it's design, building, driving, fabrication, or just meeting new people and learning more about life. Can't wait to get you out on a trail and get you hooked.

This is definitely a safe place to ask questions. We've all been there before, and we're happy to help pass on our learning.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
You don't have to stay away from pirate 4x4, just don't post anything on there till you've been rockcrawling for a few years. They're pretty harsh over there, and they expect people to have a certain level of knowledge before posting. You'll learn a TON from pirate, but questions like these always bring out the nasty in everyone.

We're happy to help. How would this sport continue and grow if we were always at each others' throats? I'm sure you've already learned a lot in the past week. One of the awesome things about this sport is that you can always learn more, whether it's design, building, driving, fabrication, or just meeting new people and learning more about life. Can't wait to get you out on a trail and get you hooked.

This is definitely a safe place to ask questions. We've all been there before, and we're happy to help pass on our learning.

Yeah totally agree

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
One of my neighbors has a lifted Vehicross, but I am yet to see a spot of dirt on it in the 4 years I have lived there. They are up there with the Aztec....

THSDragoon

That's not important right now. Let's here about some of the other animals you and your sissy have dreamed up.
my sister likes to draw were-wolves. some of the other things that we have come up with are the Evalatross which is an evil looking bird that when it is happy it looks mean. when it is mad it looks happy.

then there is the Apookie bird which is basically a stick man's head with wings, feet, eyebrows, spiky hair, ears, and a nose. but no body.

and finally the Covenant bird. it looks like a normal bird, except the teeth in it's mouth and the antenna on it's head. and it eats stick people.

THSDragoon

any who, off the random animals...... thanks for all the advice, i will stick to as much relevance to 4x4 as possible... even if it means changing my signature.

by the way, where can i find an Isuzu VX in utah vally? i was doing some research on them and they seem like they would rock off road.

sixstringsteve

what type of offroad are you looking to do? Blasting fast on fire roads? Crawling as slow as possible over boulders the size of volkswagens, desert race buggy? And what's your budget?

I always check KSL, then I do a search on searchtempest and search the nearby craigslists. a VX is a very unique vehicle. I wonder how much aftermarket support they have.

THSDragoon

as for off roading, mostly mixed stuff, so probably trail driving up AF canyon.

as for the user name, I used to like to play runescape, and that was the name of one of my characters. and THS is the name of the high school that i went to. so because i didnt want to use any numbers in my user name, and i wanted to remember my school, i used THSDragoon.