List Illegal Bypasses!

Klif01

Do I bother you?
I'm guilty of these, please follow up any trails that you can think of, doesn't just have to be utah!

Pritchet - Rock pile bypass
- Rocker knocker bypass

Constrictor - First obstical bypass
- Eagles nest bypass that is in the process of being made!

Rusty Nail - The first obsticle bypass!

Post up more!

Last edited:

Klif01

Do I bother you?
So the first obsticle as in you can swing left close to the clif, or you go up the corner ledge on the right? Is that what you are talking about? Or what?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
about 10 feet to the left there is a 'go around' on the first obstacle of rusty nail.

If you dan't do the obstacles, don't find your own way around. Go back and find a trail that you can do.

Cody

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Good point Cody.

And what is so wrong with using your winch to help you up? I mean, who cares? Yeah, it's nice to make it under your own power, but to choose between driving over trees etc. to create a go-around and taking 5 minutes to rig your winch? That is pure stupidity. (Must be all those eeeevil buggies:D)

EZ

Klif01

Do I bother you?
mbryson said:
ALL bypasses are illegal......!!! stay in the trail and use a winch......

All bypasses are illegal....what about the bypass to tipover on hells revenge...the waterfall bypass on rattlesnake...the wedgie bypass on P.S. come on man, all bypasses aren't illegal! Making new ones is though....

Capt. Picky

quite
Hello Klif01 -

The two you cited in the Moab area... Tipover challenge on HRv, and the Wedgie on PSm are both legal routes and are marked.

In fact although right from the get-go (as long as I've been here) Tipover was always used as was the wedgie, the RR4W have a guiding principle which is that when a RR4W Trail leader is leading a group, one should always exercise care in selecting the route to be used. Without getting too much into detail, it has often be suggested to not take the harder route, thereby avoiding the "egging-on" of participants to follow suit.

It should also be noted that Kenny's Climb on the Fins and Things trail was never marked, although that route has been used since the very first day that trail was created. The actual route is marked and does a jughandle loop which bypasses Kenny's climb.

Lastly, it is the principle of RR4W to (generally) refer to any other route used which might be considered to be the easier, less hazardous route as the "alternate route" and not usually as a bypass. There are exceptions to that general rule. It has also been said that on some trails where the hazard level would be marginally higher, that the more traditionally used 'challenging' section itself be called the alternate route. I've never found that any steadfast terminology for the given instances and examples was absolutely and ultimately arrived at. Anyway, that is basic trivia on the overall scope.

However, I hope I've helped to address your post to some degree of satisfaction.

Regards,
Capt. Picky

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Klif01 said:
All bypasses are illegal....what about the bypass to tipover on hells revenge...the waterfall bypass on rattlesnake...the wedgie bypass on P.S. come on man, all bypasses aren't illegal! Making new ones is though....

So you go on a trail to use bypasses? The waterfall bypass on Rattlesnake? WTF is that?

Honestly, I think it's a good practice NOT to use them. It just makes ANY trail wider.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Rattlesnake isn't a good trail to use an an example to establish a rule for bypasses I don't think. The legality of the entire trail is a gray area to begin with, plus it is too new. The bypass was created not much long after the trail was created. If you can't make it, turn around or pull cable!

EZ

Johnny4X4

rattlesnake

the thing about the waterfall bypass on rattlesnake is that the 4 wheelers(ATV's) and motorcycles use that trail also-- i was there yesterday and watched a few of them come up behind us and scoot right on around.

Houndoc

I think the general point is don't make new routes- call them bypasses, alternates or what ever. Goes for a hard rock section or a mud puddle- stay on the trails.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Houndoc said:
I think the general point is don't make new routes- call them bypasses, alternates or what ever. Goes for a hard rock section or a mud puddle- stay on the trails.

Goes for a motorcycle, atv, fullsize, Jeep, Toyota, whatever.......(again, just my opinion). If it's marked as an 'alternate' or whatever, that's different.....if it's not marked, stay on the trail......

Klif01

Do I bother you?
I was talking about to the right of the waterfall on rattlesnake. You know the little side thing. I recal my first time ever wheeling was with people from here, and I was told to take that. I don't go on trails to take bypasses, and I most certainly don't go on trails to create them, but your statement of all bypasses being illegal is a little far fetched.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Klif01 said:
I was talking about to the right of the waterfall on rattlesnake. You know the little side thing. I recal my first time ever wheeling was with people from here, and I was told to take that. I don't go on trails to take bypasses, and I most certainly don't go on trails to create them, but your statement of all bypasses being illegal is a little far fetched.

It is a little far fetched, but I think that's the 'safe' way to wheel. If everyone stayed in the trail and didn't use bypasses at all (encouraging anyone with them to stay on the trail as well), there would be much less of a land-use issue. Your post is asking for a list of illegal bypasses and without going into specifics of which trail/trails, I said what I think is the way to take 'bypasses'. Don't. Generally you're OK to take obviously traveled routes (bypasses), but that doesn't necessarily make them legal. I choose to stay on the trail and try to encourage others to do the same.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
What is the first obstacle on Rusty Nail?

The boulder and ledge that start on the right, with a climbing left turn once you clear those?

I followed other rigs up the "bypass" to the left that snakes around the hill for the sole reason that there was no way to get my front end up on that boulder. Plus there was the factor of trail traffic and the approaching darkness.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that that boulder moved around when people climbed it and what that could have done.

Oh, and then there's the tree on the left side of the following obstacle. I watched someone in an olive-drab exo'd Runner lay his rig sideways into that tree three times before getting pulled up.

Other than the one bypass, which was well traveled and probably more technical and risky than the original trail, I ran the entire trail in a single-locker IFS Tacoma on 33s. Every other rig was SA, dual-locked, and on 35s or larger.

Last edited:

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
mbryson said:
It is a little far fetched, but I think that's the 'safe' way to wheel. If everyone stayed in the trail and didn't use bypasses at all (encouraging anyone with them to stay on the trail as well), there would be much less of a land-use issue. Your post is asking for a list of illegal bypasses and without going into specifics of which trail/trails, I said what I think is the way to take 'bypasses'. Don't. Generally you're OK to take obviously traveled routes (bypasses), but that doesn't necessarily make them legal. I choose to stay on the trail and try to encourage others to do the same.

I remember a few years back when there was this blue Cherokee that got stuck on the bypass for rocker knocker..... :ugh: ;)

mbryson

Supporting Member
WayneXJ said:
I remember a few years back when there was this blue Cherokee that got stuck on the bypass for rocker knocker..... :ugh: ;)

Yep....I remember that too....Would have made a hell of a lot more sense to just do the Rocker Knocker, wouldn't it? That trail has gotten WIDE over the past few years..... (even if I did need a strap or winch....)