Jeep LJ (yes, Unlimited TJ) questions

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Those of you that have LJs. Talk to me. What is your favorite thing about them, what do you not like, anything you hate?

Seriously considering selling/trading my beast of a Jeep for something I can drive more often.

rholbrook

I have a TJ and an LJ. No comparison, I love driving the LJ. Dave (DAA) has a really nice LJ and lives by you, you ought to go look at his.

I know its not that much longer but it sure seems a lot bigger inside. The whole jeep just seems larger inside. It rides a lot better than my TJ as well. My wife actually loves driving it and she would never drive my TJ.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
They looked about Cherokee-sized to me.. *shrug Inside, I mean.

You just sold Marc on the LJ's.... :rofl:

I would love to have an LJ, we rented one on our honeymoon in Hawaii and I really liked the wheelbase and interior room.

Marc, if you need any pics of DAA's LJ I have a bunch from the HITR trip we made last Spring.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Bummer, you missed out on a real nice one I know of by a week.... ;)

The extra room is great, but no where near Cherokee-ish. They're not at all kid friendy either, getting in and out of that back seat really blows. You know what you want to do. Now just come out of the closet, and build another XJ.

Those of you that have LJs. Talk to me. What is your favorite thing about them, what do you not like, anything you hate?

Seriously considering selling/trading my beast of a Jeep for something I can drive more often.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Not like I'm one to talk, at least he has a Jeep... :( But, I've got to admit. As of now, I'm not missing it a bit and as soon as Harley season opens I know I'll miss it even less.

GOAT

Back from the beyond

Do it!

I loved Jenn's LJ, and get sick every time I think about selling it. IMHO, there were no drawbacks to the LJ. It never felt too long on a trail and the departure angle was rarely an issue. Oh, and I'd put her LJ up against your rig on 9/10 trails.....with her driving:greg:

Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:

Cascadia

Undecided
I love the extra room in the back, I can actually fit something back there. IMO, I think they look way better than any other regular TJ. The hard top and soft top both look awesome and the cage looks way better. I also think it drives way better than a TJ. Perfect length for offroad. Never had a problem with the extra inches on the rear corners. Only drawback is everything is more expensive because of the longer length and more material, but you seem to make most of your own stuff so maybe that's not an issue with you.

Bart

Loved the Unlimited and wish I could have built it the way I wanted it. Nate who is N8R??? has the perfect Unlimited and I don't think I'd be satisfied until I'd built one close to that. The only draw back for me was the long overhang on the back, thus stretching the wheelbase and gas tanks mods would have been first in line.

Bart

I know what you mean, but I think I can make the YJ semi comfortable for now. I had it on the freeway last night for the first time and it did okay. Not as nice or quiet as a TJ but not bad. I finally got the Supertop on and sealed it all up, now I have to take care of the fuel smell inside. I hate inside fuel cells. A couple more items to address and I'll be set for a while.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I had an 06 and I hated it. It was gutless as hell. I think most of that was the auto tranny with the too-high overdrive. It would hunt between overdrive and third constantly when going 70mph on the freeway. My old p.o.s. 91 XJ had way more power even with 170,000 on it and the AW4.

I also thought the dash was obnoxiously huge. Really blocked visibility. I raised the seats a bit, but it still sucked. Keep your YJ and make it work for ya.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Do it! We even have a custom LJ cage that Ben built a few years back that's itching to go into someones rig for a great price!

Xiled1

I started with an 06 TJ and then went to an 06 LJ and would never go back. The LJ drives much better on the road, has more room for camping gear, and I can still pack a cooler and tools with the back seat in. I wheel with a group of TJ's and the extra wheelbase makes a huge difference in just about all obstacles. The only drawback I can see is the extra weight added to the already taxed 4.slow. But if you want to go fast don't buy a jeep.

As for asthetics, TJ's look better stock, but a lift and bigger tires brings the LJ back into proportion and I sometimes have a hard time telling them apart on the trail.

pkrfctr

you should have asked saturday and I would have traded you vehicles for awhile.
pros- room. its great having a back seat and fitting a full cooler behind it. I have a rear deck and keep tools/parts under it and cooler/dog above it. sunroof-this is a great feature you can fold back the sunroof and not have to put the top down(softop). mine is a stick and I really like the I6 with a stick. wheelbase is great. road handling is much better than a tj, though I still trailer it if its more than an hour an road-due to softtop.

cons- rear overhang. my 03 was stretched so no overhang. of course my bdo bumper addeds a few inches too. you need to do a center skid to get a descent breakover angle.
If you get serious you're more than welcome to take mine out anytime.

Last edited: