Locker help snap an axle?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I beleive a locker can lead to less breakage because you can drive more elegantly and control wheel spin that can result in breakage when the wheel finds traction and stops spinning all at once. On the other hand it can result in all the torque being transmitted through one shaft and that is hard on shafts also.

RKCRWLR

More Breakage

I vote for more breakage. The D35 is a light duty axle. Locked, you routinely get 100% loading on one axle rather than split between two. Now, when one side looses traction the other gets very little to no load. That same situation with the locker, the other side gets it all. Locker? Got to have it in my book, but you'll have to be a little easy on the throttle and be very sensible with it. I have broke a few 44s running my ARB with a stock 4.0L and I was being carefull. A 35 is even easier!

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
It doesn't matter how "elegantly" you drive. With a locker and a Dana 35, you will break axles and probably take out a bunch of other stuff with them. Plus your wheel will probably fall off, which is always fun.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
cuban b said:
It doesn't matter how "elegantly" you drive. With a locker and a Dana 35, you will break axles and probably take out a bunch of other stuff with them. Plus your wheel will probably fall off, which is always fun.

I never broke my D35 with a full Detroit. At least not off road that is. :greg:

ewander

I agree with Bobdog here. The locker will allow you to drive through obstacles easier and therefore allow you to go lighter on the gas. It will also allow you to get into trouble faster.

Like previously mentioned if you go easy on the gas you will have a lot less breakage. I never broke a shaft in my stock Dana35c with a detroit and 33 and 35 inch tires. I did trails like the Rusty Nail, pritchett, etc... I was easy on the gas though and really careful. The "thought" of breaking an axle caused me to upgrade to an 8.8. Hind sight, I wouldn't have wasted putting money in the Dana 35 and would have just invested in an 8.8 or 44.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The question is "will a locker help snap an axle".... NOT "will the drivers acheived perception of a locker help prevent snapping axles"

The fact is simple... Yes, a locker equipped axle is subject to much greater stress's and strain's than a non locked axle. The way the driver reacts to such changes is besides the point.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
cruiseroutfit said:
The question is "will a locker help snap an axle".... NOT "will the drivers acheived perception of a locker help prevent snapping axles"

The fact is simple... Yes, a locker equipped axle is subject to much greater stress's and strain's than a non locked axle. The way the driver reacts to such changes is besides the point.
True Dat!!

ewander

cruiseroutfit said:

Gosh, you sound just like a lawyer. Thanks for explaining the question. My interpretation of his question is: "Am I going to break an axle easier, if I lock up my Dana 35."

My answer is NO. No you will NOT break an axle easier, especially if you drive wisely. Lock it up! You will enjoy your jeep much more off road and be able to do things that you before could only dream of.... In fact, lock it up and run down to Moab with us Presidents Day weekend.

The only thing that is "beside the point" here is how limited you look at the question.

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
ewander said:
I agree with Bobdog here. The locker will allow you to drive through obstacles easier and therefore allow you to go lighter on the gas. It will also allow you to get into trouble faster.

Like previously mentioned if you go easy on the gas you will have a lot less breakage. I never broke a shaft in my stock Dana35c with a detroit and 33 and 35 inch tires. I did trails like the Rusty Nail, pritchett, etc... I was easy on the gas though and really careful. The "thought" of breaking an axle caused me to upgrade to an 8.8. Hind sight, I wouldn't have wasted putting money in the Dana 35 and would have just invested in an 8.8 or 44.

agree x2 get a better axle...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
ewander said:
Gosh, you sound just like a lawyer. Thanks for explaining the question. My interpretation of his question is: "Am I going to break an axle easier, if I lock up my Dana 35."

My answer is NO. No you will NOT break an axle easier, especially if you drive wisely. Lock it up! You will enjoy your jeep much more off road and be able to do things that you before could only dream of.... In fact, lock it up and run down to Moab with us Presidents Day weekend.

The only thing that is "beside the point" here is how limited you look at the question.

that statement is moronic....

raise your hand if you have broken an axle on a non locked d-35....give me a break.

YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE AXLE BREAKAGE EASIER!! You put more stress and strain on axle components when you lock things up. Listen to cruiseroutfitters...he is our resident engineering student.

JeeperG

I have some Home Video of a 35 breakage up Providence Canyon if ya wanna see what happens. ;) Not a good sound I tell ya. :D I think it is a fellow RME'er too not sure who though. Blacksheep was there I remember.

ewander

spencurai said:

raise your hand if you have broken an axle on a non locked d-35....give me a break.

YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE AXLE BREAKAGE EASIER!! You put more stress and strain on axle components when you lock things up. Listen to cruiseroutfitters...he is our resident engineering student.

Dude, spare me, a couple guys on this board think they know it all. Without getting too personal here, the reason I log onto this board and post is to get opposing views. Lots of experience = lots of information that is valuable to my view of four wheeling. An engineering student's view because he is an engineering student alone is moronic. My bro-in-law has a MS in Mechanical Engineering and I'm sure your uncle has PHD, etc...

It's nothing personal, just an opposing point of view. I knew this response was coming from one of the "few" and I told myself I wouldn't respond, but hey it's all good. :ugh:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
spencurai said:

AGREED ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ewander said:
Gosh, you sound just like a lawyer. Thanks for explaining the question....

Not trying to sound like a lawyer, but I am using ENGINEERING terms... I spent last week torsion testing various specimens, both on the University of Utah's 50 Kip Torsion tester and in a Cosmos/SolidWorks (FEA - Finite Element Analysis)... I then had to write a conclusive memorandum regarding the aspects of torsion on axle like test specimens... :D

My interpretation of his question is: "Am I going to break an axle easier, if I lock up my Dana 35."

You interpreted the question wrong... not my fault. I know WAYYYYY more people that have broken locked axles than OPEN... Jeep , Toyota, whatever... same case results!

You must be a creative writer as a profession... they seem to confuse the facts with "whats written between the lines" :D
:rofl:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ewander said:
... An engineering student's view because he is an engineering student alone is moronic. My bro-in-law has a MS in Mechanical Engineering and I'm sure your uncle has PHD, etc...

Then prove me wrong! :D

1. How many people have broken an axle in an OPEN rig...

2. How many people have broken an axle in a Locked rig...

PS... your NOT your bro-in-law, live your own life! :rofl:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
One more to add a couple case examples to the situation...

Case #1 Oliver Bradstreet...

Oliver owned a OPEN diffed FJ60 that he literally rallied... He then added lockers... Broke 10+ shafts...

Case #2 Craig Epperson...

Open diffed BJ70, adds rear locker (NO OTHER CHANGES), brakes a rear shaft first time out with the setup.

Case #3 Kurt Williams (me)

Open diffed FJ40 for 4 years... add lockers and I have now broke 6+ shafts...

The FACT is simple... add a locker and MORE TORQUE IS FORCED TO EXERT ITSELF ON A POTENTIALLY FIXED (STUCK, HIGH TRACTION, ETC) SHAFT.

:D